Main Menu

Attempts at the sample scripts

Started by Emperor, 19 January, 2010, 08:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jag

No worries at all, it was great seeing your art!

RossBam

Still at it, and here's my recent go at Dredd: Cycle of violence - it's been a while since I had a look at any other attempts in this thread, however I apologise if any panels similar to those already created have sneaked in from my subconscious:

feedback welcome!!

JayzusB.Christ

Nice work! 
Good things:  Your Mega City 1 outdoor shots are freaking amazing, as are your indoor architecture scenes.
Lovely use of shifting camera views too.

Could-be-better things:  A lot of the looser, x-shaped cross-hatching looks superfluous and unprofessional - leave it out entirely would be my advice.
Also some of your characters seem a bit out of proportion.

But as I said, nice work!
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

RossBam

Thanks for the feedback Jaysus!

MC1 is for me was definitely the most fun thing in this script to draw.

I'll be working on the could-be-betters as I continue.

Thanks again, all critiques welcome!!

pineapplehead

Carlos_Trigo

Hi everyone!

I worked for 2000AD more than 10 years ago, when I was just a rookie . I illustrated the story 'What ever happened with Conrad Con?', written by Gordon Rennie, and it was a mess. It was awful. The worst thing I've ever done. I'm guilty!!
It seems there's another Carlos Trigo in the 2000AD database but that's not me and he shouldn't be mistaken with me, this guy has done some cool stuff (if you're still alive and reading this it would be a pleasure to meet you, Carlos).

I love Judge Dredd, so I decided to do a tryout for 2000AD, thinking I could do it better after a decade. I downloaded a sample script from here, I used the script 'Cycle of violence'... pretty original, huh?  :D

Here's what I submitted 2 months ago!

See you around!!

Carlos_Trigo

I've just read the 800 pixels limit rule, I'm trying to re-edit, please don't shoot me.

Bolt-01

Got to say I love the repetition on the last page. Really works IMO. Lovely pages, Carlos. Thanks for sharing

staticgirl

Good luck with your submission - this should get a positive look!

Darren Stephens

I really enjoyed looking at those Carlos. You have a superb style. Good luck with the submission!   ;)  Edited to add : just been looking at some of your work on Facebook. Very cool.
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Carlos_Trigo

Thank you, guys, I'm glad you like them! :)

Jim_Lavery

Hello! I have come to love the Judge costume where before it was a nightmare to draw, I'm still not sure I'm there but at least I enjoy the crazy elements that make up Dredd's dudds.

The terrific Dave Evans allowed me to contribute art to Zarjaz #23 ('Primal Scream') which was my first Dredd strip, I enjoyed it so much I wanted to do another for my portfolio. I honestly can't remember how I got the 'Cycle of Violence' script but I had no idea how popular or widely distributed and attempted it is. How embarrassed do you think I was when I submitted the art to Dave who spotted it immediately? Thankfully he was merciful and directed me here.

And so, rather than languishing on my hard drive gathering cyber-dust, here is my feeble attempt at 'Cycle of Violence':

carmdq

Hi guys. Do you know how long does the submissions period stay open? I just sent my first attempt and wanted to know if there's enough time to work on another one. Thanks.

Steven Austin

As far as I am aware they are open all of the time, that said they did close earlier in the year for a few months whilst Tharg caught up with the backlog BUT not sure if this was a one off or if its something that will come to pass on a regular basis.

With regards to doing another, my advise would be to wait until you reiceve feedback from the Mighty One as this will detertmine what your next one should look to improve upon.

Nice work though.

:)

carmdq

Quote from: Steven Austin on 05 October, 2015, 07:55:31 PM
As far as I am aware they are open all of the time, that said they did close earlier in the year for a few months whilst Tharg caught up with the backlog BUT not sure if this was a one off or if its something that will come to pass on a regular basis.

With regards to doing another, my advise would be to wait until you reiceve feedback from the Mighty One as this will detertmine what your next one should look to improve upon.

Nice work though.

:)

Thanks Steve. I haven't posted my work here yet but I will. Cheers.