Main Menu

Rock & Chips

Started by Goatilocks, 24 January, 2010, 10:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goatilocks

Just finished watching the Only Fools & Horses prequel. Really enjoyable. Freddy the Frog really did look like Rodney Trotter ...

TordelBack

Much better than I expected, although it does seem to have forgotten that Only Fools was a sitcom rather than a serious drama.  Phil Daniels was a bit unconvincing, but I thought the rest of the cast was great.

Mardroid

Quote from: TordelBack on 24 January, 2010, 10:54:46 PM
Much better than I expected, although it does seem to have forgotten that Only Fools was a sitcom rather than a serious drama. 

I don't think it forgot. I just think they weren't going for that with this. Part of the reason might be due to what we know will happen later with Joaney, but that's just me speculating. Also, they did tend to go more in the comedy drama route with later episodes of Only Fools too, although they kept the gag quota up high.

As a sixties-period drama with some humour rather than a sitcom, I think it worked well. I like it, and I wouldn't mind seeing more.

SmallBlueThing

Yeah, put me down for more as well. I'm not the greatest admirer of OF&H, and haven't actually seen the great majority of them, but Rock And Chips was thoroughly enjoyable. I thought the guy playing Del really nailed it.

SBT

Dunk!

I really enjoyed it and like the more subtle humour.

Though Nicholas Lyndhurst's attempts at being intimidating, like the harden criminal he was meant to be, were the biggest laugh and not in a good way.
"Trust we"

Professor Bear

Nic Lyndhurst once played a hardened British secret agent in the Piglet Files, but it's like he forgot everything he learned there.  The cynic in me wants to suggest this wasn't terribly funny because Only Fools and Horses wasn't as a general rule of thumb, but the fact this isn't trying to be funny actually makes me want to check it out.