Main Menu

Lettering: Crossbar 'I's, and preparing your script!

Started by Jim_Campbell, 25 January, 2010, 01:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HdE

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 17 July, 2010, 04:22:02 PM
Quote from: HdE on 17 July, 2010, 03:53:07 PM
When I do a CTRL+C in the word processor and a CTRL+V in Illustrator, for some reason it doesn't necessarily work - parts of the type disappear!

Am I doing something wrong here?

I can't think what you might be doing wrong. I suspect it might be because (in Windows, at least) Word may be using its own version of a font that differs from the version that's available to Illustrator through the normal system fonts, but I'll confess to that being no more than a guess!

Heck, at this stage, everything helps!

I've tried porting the scripts into other text editing programs and pasting in from there, but I keep getting the same issue - parts of the letters literally disappear.

That said, I have had some difficulties with Illustrator performing oddly lately. I might do a complete re-install and see if that cures some of my ills.

Thanks, Jim.

Cheers

Jim
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: kid on 17 July, 2010, 04:30:52 PM
Yeah, that's always bothered me as well. Anyone who reads OOR WULLIE and THE BROONS in The Sunday Post knows just how sore on the eyes it is.

Damn, that's some shoddy lettering[/ur].

The worst of it is: like I discuss at the top of the thread, there is no reason why that lettering text should be in the state that is. Anyone who says that it's too much like hard work to fix is talking absolute pants.

QuoteThat's why I still letter by hand.

(And that's why I don't get any work.)

If it's any consolation, there are only two books in the whole of the US industry that are being lettered by hand -- Tom Orzechowski is lettering Erik Larsen's Savage Dragon on overlays by hand, and John Workman is lettering Jonathan Ross' Turf directly onto Tommy Lee Edwards' pencilled pages. I know Orz gets paid extra for hand lettering, so I imagine Workman is, too.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Jim_Campbell

Dammit -- I fixed that feckin' quote tag!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

chilipenguin

Wow, I used to be a massive Broons and Oor Wullie fan when I was younger. The lettering is awful!