Main Menu

A J. R. Hartley Moment

Started by The Legendary Shark, 06 March, 2010, 06:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

Ah, comics - and comics people! I come before you to beg humbly for help...

In the late eighties or early nineties, I had a two-page comic strip entitled "The Adventures of Burnley Smith" published in a "Viz-Alike" comic called "Trout." I think it was in either issue three or four (the last issue before the comic folded).

I used to have a copy of said comic, but alas this was lost many years ago. There was this woman, you see, and this argument... Well, I've never seen it since.

Does the Hive Collection include any Trout comics? Does the Hive Mind know where there is one? Help me, JR Hartley, you're my only hope!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

HOO-HAA

Have you checked E-Bay, the post-zeroes' yellow pages?

The Legendary Shark

I'm watching something on Ebay that might be it. Haven't heard of the post-zeroes' yellow pages, though - I'll Google that, thanks.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

M.I.K.

I believe HOO-HAA was calling Ebay itself the "post-zeroes' yellow pages", what with it being the place to go if you're looking for hard to find items these days,(after the 2000s).

HOO-HAA

Quote from: M.I.K. on 06 March, 2010, 08:53:06 PM
I believe HOO-HAA was calling Ebay itself the "post-zeroes' yellow pages", what with it being the place to go if you're looking for hard to find items these days,(after the 2000s).

Yep.

However, checking google for 'post zeroes yellow pages' might be fun, regardless... :D

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: HOO-HAA on 06 March, 2010, 08:59:10 PM

However, checking google for 'post zeroes yellow pages' might be fun, regardless... :D

I see. I thought somebody was was extracting the urine.   ::) :-[
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

I've still had no joy tracking it down  :(

If the comic hadn't have folded, this would've been Episode 3:

Episodes 1 and 2 were lost when the comic went down. As you can see, there is no yawning chasm in popular culture as a result.

If anybody comes across this, though, I'd be very grateful if you'd let me know.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

My old school chum, cult artist Philip Bond, considered illustrating a re-invented Burnley Smith strip for all of five minutes before we decided it wasn't going to happen. Here's the proof:

He's a bit better than me, isn't he? Talented git.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Emperor

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 03 May, 2010, 05:28:41 PMHe's a bit better than me, isn't he? Talented git.

Yes, yes he is ;)

Anyway I can't help in the main quest but let us know if you discover anything. Perhaps think about asking Lew Stringer or John Freeman to put out a request for you?
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

IAMTHESYSTEM

Me and Zarjazzer were published in the old GamesMaster magazine years ago!

It went bankrupt next issue and we never got paid!! >sniff-sob-choke- recover dignity-No! Sob, sniff, etc<
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Emperor

if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Zarjazzer

Yeah and who got the money? The fucking banks.  :(

Still lovely stuff yer showing us shark! I must use that marvelous quote by your character "you're the stupid cunt who fucked up the earth's core" at any political party foolish enough to come to my door!

@Emperor well I was on the Titanic when someone shouted "Iceberg!"
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

vzzbux

I used to get Trout along with quite a few more trash Viz clones but I think my mum discarded them years ago, will look in my mums attic though.

VNP
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

The Legendary Shark

Thanks Emps and Zarjazzer.

Vzzbux... ooohhh... I've gone all tingly and fingers-crossed!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]