Main Menu

Strange copy of Bisley´s Sláine

Started by Zinghara, 07 April, 2010, 11:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zinghara

Hi everybody.

Have you ever red the manga Gunnm? There´s a character called Kinuba. A fighting robot. And I think is such a copy of Bysley´s Sláine!!!. Here are only two pics (all I could find), but I was reading the manga and this character also have a fur jacket upon his shoulders, a wild board belt, and red paint on his eyes... There´s also an amazing frame where Kinuba seats in a same position as Sláine does!!!!

http://www.nonsolomanga.it/imm_manga2/alita/kinuba.jpg
http://alita.boo.pl/postacie/inni/kinuba1.jpg

O Lucky Stevie!

Better get a lawyer son.

Welcome to the board Zinghara  :lol:
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Spaceghost

yeah, I remember reading this years ago. It's better known in the west as Battle Angel Alita. James Cameron is apparently making a film adaptation in the near future. I've  collected the whole series and there's a distinctly 2000AD 'vibe' running throughout. It's really good actually, I'd recommend it to any manga loving squaxx.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

davethomson

I agree that GUNNM is a great manga series though fans have been picking out swipes and copies from it for a while now. I think it's due to the manga having been created at a time when manga as a whole had not broken through to the west so the artist felt more confident in being able to take a lot from western comics.

Despite all the swipes in the series, the artwork is absolutely fantastic though the stories get progressively worse as the series goes on (as with most long manga series).
Everything I know about life, I learnt from old school hip-hop. Don't sweat the technique!

M.I.K.

I've got the book around here somewhere. Don't recall any direct copying/tracing of Bisley's work and I think it's intended as more of a homage than straightforward plagiarism. Pretty sure I read an interview with the artist a number of years ago in which he mentions that he's a fan of Bisley's.

The "Slaine" character in this is actually a cyborg who [spoiler]ends up getting his head ripped off by the baddy who then attaches his own head to the body because it's the "strongest body on Earth"[/spoiler] or something.

Gavin_Leahy_Block

Battle Angel Alita was fantastic, I'm usually not a fan of manga, but I loved this. Like M.I.K. when I came across the character, he came across as more of a homage, rather then an out right copy of Bysley´s Sláine.

ThryllSeekyr

Thats interesting to know, and that it turns out to be taken from Battle Angel Alita.

I might have read this without noticing the resembalance, which now seems so obvious.

I wonder why a old aquaintance of mine reads this?

Might they also show a interest in Slaine?

I assume this Slainesque character could only have been the villian by the sounds of it?

I wonder if they have completed the Alita Battle Angel film that was supposed to be in the works.

Efffectively a Slaine tribute also, with this minor character.