Main Menu

Turf by Jonathon Ross and Tommy Lee Edwards

Started by SuperSurfer, 13 April, 2010, 04:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

Are you saying Scotsmen are tight, Jim? Like, "gonnae letter this fur nuhing" tight?
Lock up your spoons!

Emperor

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 15 May, 2010, 07:49:38 PM
Quote from: Emperor on 15 May, 2010, 06:21:43 PM
Yep this is being serialised in CLiNT, along with Kick Ass 2 and I think a horror? story from Frankie Boyle. I am surprised Ross didn't come up with something different which he could then repackage a comic book but he has invested a lot of time and effort into Turf so I suppose he wants to maximise readers.

Not to mention ... I detect the hand of a canny Scotsman behind a title where two of three headline strips are actually reprint, but where the market you're targeting won't know that.

What else is a reprint? Just thought it worth asking before you get lynched. ;) Doomed, you're doomed.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 15 May, 2010, 08:09:33 PM
Are you saying Scotsmen are tight, Jim?

Half my family is Scots. Many of them are among the most generous people I know, but that's an entirely different thing from being canny. :-)

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Emperor on 15 May, 2010, 08:19:41 PM
What else is a reprint? Just thought it worth asking before you get lynched. ;) Doomed, you're doomed.

Kick-Ass 2 is also being published by someone else in the US (Icon?) -- not sure whether CLiNT will get it first, in which case, technically, it won't be reprint, but I'd surprised if Marvel would take second dibs on a series.

Cheers

Jim

Emperor

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 15 May, 2010, 08:25:07 PM
Quote from: Emperor on 15 May, 2010, 08:19:41 PM

Kick-Ass 2 is also being published by someone else in the US (Icon?) -- not sure whether CLiNT will get it first, in which case, technically, it won't be reprint, but I'd surprised if Marvel would take second dibs on a series.

Seems you are right, although this wasn't what he originally said (as this summary shows, although it is from one of the leading Miller Haters) but I am not sure what the source of those new quotes is as I can't seem to find anything on the Millar board.

That means two of the three main stories are going to effectively be reprint material but I don't think this will be a big deal - I'll be reading Turf and Kick Ass 2 for the first time in the comic and their main audience is supposed to be people who might not usually read comics.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Emperor on 20 May, 2010, 04:33:05 AM
That means two of the three main stories are going to effectively be reprint material but I don't think this will be a big deal - I'll be reading Turf and Kick Ass 2 for the first time in the comic and their main audience is supposed to be people who might not usually read comics.

Well, this -- really -- is the beauty of thing. It's just not about us, or any other part of comic fandom for that matter. Anyone from the existing comics market that the title picks up is just a fine layer of frosting on a much, much larger cake, made up of people who would never even contemplate setting foot in a comic shop.

That there are, as that Bleeding Cool thread would strongly suggest, some corners of comic fandom that want to see the venture fail because they don't like Millar, when CLiNT's success can really only have a positive effect on a depressed and contracting industry*, who begrudge Millar a bit of hype and hyperbole when he's trying to launch a new product into a new market ... it's an object demonstration of what's wrong with comic fandom.

Cheers

Jim

*Meaning mainstream UK/US comics

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Proudhuff on 20 May, 2010, 11:56:13 AM
yeah, there's a clue in the name   :D

Well, I don't mean that in the sense that you track my family tree back to 'proper' Scots, but rather that my Dad was Scottish.

Cheers

Jim

Proudhuff

That means you're entitled to wear half a kilt!

DDT did a job on me

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Proudhuff on 20 May, 2010, 12:05:24 PM

I have toyed with the idea (of wearing a proper kilt, that is) for the odd formal occasion but no-one seems to rent ones in Campbell tartan and I'm buggered if I'm buying one ...

Cheers!

Jim

Richmond Clements

Quoteand I'm buggered if I'm wearing one ...

Fixed that for you.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 20 May, 2010, 12:24:49 PM
Fixed that for you.

My wife has a thing about kilts ... I'm pretty sure it would be worth my while. :-)

Cheers!

Jim

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 20 May, 2010, 12:29:45 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 20 May, 2010, 12:24:49 PM
Fixed that for you.

My wife has a thing about kilts ... I'm pretty sure it would be worth my while. :-)

Cheers!

Jim

Kilts are good- surprisingly comfortable and warm to wear.

Plus, as you say, chicks dig them.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 20 May, 2010, 12:20:53 PM
Quote from: Proudhuff on 20 May, 2010, 12:05:24 PM

I'm buggered if I'm buying one ...

Cheers!

Jim

Aye, that will be yer fayther speaking
DDT did a job on me

Emperor

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 20 May, 2010, 08:00:10 AM
Quote from: Emperor on 20 May, 2010, 04:33:05 AM

Well, this -- really -- is the beauty of thing. It's just not about us, or any other part of comic fandom for that matter. Anyone from the existing comics market that the title picks up is just a fine layer of frosting on a much, much larger cake, made up of people who would never even contemplate setting foot in a comic shop.

That there are, as that Bleeding Cool thread would strongly suggest, some corners of comic fandom that want to see the venture fail because they don't like Millar, when CLiNT's success can really only have a positive effect on a depressed and contracting industry*, who begrudge Millar a bit of hype and hyperbole when he's trying to launch a new product into a new market ... it's an object demonstration of what's wrong with comic fandom.

Cheers

Jim

*Meaning mainstream UK/US comics

The downside is that running Kick Ass  in CLiNT first would have been a big boost to sales to Millar fans but then the hardcore Millar fans are going to want to pick the mag up anyway I'd imagine (and Titan Magazines get good penetration into US bookstores like Barnes and Noble, which is also a good way of breaking out of the Direct Market ghetto American comic books are currently stuck in). It'll be interesting to see how things work out.