Main Menu

Life's so drokking fantastic because (the rebirth)

Started by vzzbux, 22 April, 2010, 08:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theblazeuk

TordelBack

Quote from: The Cosh on 17 February, 2015, 11:08:36 AM
I wouldn't want to put words (or anything else) in his mouth, but I think Tips position is that you're just debating over the degree of cruelty here.

S'right.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: ZenArcade on 17 February, 2015, 11:46:34 AM
Cruelty to animals is an abysmal thing. I come from a farming background and would see cruelty as morally wrong and counterproductive in the sense that distressed or maltreated animals are less productive. As for hunting I would be completely opposed as it is cruelty for recreation. With farming it is a necessity (although I guess some would argue the contrary). Z

Well, yeah.  But the argument goes that choice to eat meat is a recreational one and not in the slightest bit necessary.  I'm a right fat bastard perfectly healthy and I haven't touched the stuff in decades. There's about as much need to kill animals for food as there is to kill them for motion pictures.

Anyway, sorry Prof/Tordels - I accidentally got on a high horse about your epicurean delights. I hope I didn't take too much of the icing off it and glad you enjoyed it. (You murderer!)
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

ZenArcade

Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

TordelBack

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 17 February, 2015, 12:32:04 PMAnyway, sorry Prof/Tordels - I accidentally got on a high horse about your epicurean delights. I hope I didn't take too much of the icing off it and glad you enjoyed it. (You murderer!)

Not at all! Although it might (not) amuse you to know that our meal was paid for by a voucher given to my wife by an Animal Welfare charity, and that voucher was donated to them by the owner who prides himself on only using local, organic and ethically-sourced produce. How the chicken livers fit in there I have no idea, but I normally wouldn't touch the stuff. I once ate foie gras by misreading a menu in a campsite in France and I was nearly sick when the waitress explained what the delicious buttery spread had been.

Incidentally, as a former vegetarian, Tips is the only person who has ever managed to convince me of the merits of veganism, and as previously noted I have shifted up to half of all family meals to meat free (but not animal product free) in no small part due to his prior posts on the subject.

Tiplodocus

Aw thanks. And Sharky.

The amount of people that work in animal welfare who aren't in the slightest bit vegetarian or vegan never ceases to amaze me. Equally, people can't reconcile the fact that I actually don't like animals and pets. Not for moral reasons, I just can't abide having animals in the same room as me.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

I, Cosh

Quote from: Professor Cardigan on 17 February, 2015, 01:14:04 PM
Not at all! Although it might (not) amuse you to know that our meal was paid for by a voucher given to my wife by an Animal Welfare charity, and that voucher was donated to them by the owner who prides himself on only using local, organic and ethically-sourced produce. How the chicken livers fit in there I have no idea, but I normally wouldn't touch the stuff. I once ate foie gras by misreading a menu in a campsite in France and I was nearly sick when the waitress explained what the delicious buttery spread had been.
Maybe I'm displaying my ignorance here, but what's the problem with chicken liver pate? It's delicious and the easiest thing in the world to make. I'd actually come at it from the opposite perspective that, if you're going to kill the chicken in the first place, it behooves you to consume all of it.
We never really die.

TordelBack

Just observing that I genuinely don't know how chicken livers fit into the picture vis-a-vis ethical sourcing - the horrors of foie gras I know, conventional avian livers, not a clue.  Don't usually eat pâté, reminds me of baby food.  Although on this occasion it reminded me of a vision of paradise I never knew I had.  I'd agree with Cosh entirely, if you're going to kill something, may as well eat/use as much of it as possible - it's the specific production conditions I don't understand.

M.I.K.

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 17 February, 2015, 12:32:04 PM
Well, yeah.  But the argument goes that choice to eat meat is a recreational one and not in the slightest bit necessary.

This may be true for some, perhaps even most, but my own digestive tract seriously disagrees.

Hawkmumbler

I will refute Tips slightly mind, as their are no real food stuff's out their that provide anywhere near enough protein that growing humans need. And yes, i've looked into the alternatives such as Tofu and Quorn and you would have to shell out a small fortune to cover the price of protein a couple of chicken breasts could provide you. I always cringe inwardly a little when I hear about infants being brought up on vegan diets. They always turn out to be somewhat skinny and undernourished.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

Grugz

don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Hawkmumbler

Oh and don't get me started on people who try to veganise cats and dogs. Bunch of twats.

The Legendary Shark

My dog sometimes enjoys eating raw carrots and spuds but I'd never dream of veganising him. People actually do that? It's silly.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]