Main Menu

Brighton Rock (remake!)

Started by johnnystress, 19 May, 2010, 05:19:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnystress

the relentless and pointless remakes continue 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8224953.stm

Dame Helen Mirren is to star in a big-screen remake of Graham Greene's classic 1939 novel Brighton Rock. Mirren will star as amateur detective Ida Arnold

The Oscar winner will star alongside Bafta-nominated actor Sam Riley playing the lead character Pinkie Brown. Riley played Ian Curtis in 2007 film Control.

Pete Postlethwaite and Happy Go Lucky's Andrea Riseborough will also star in the updated remake, set in the 1960s. Filming is due to begin in October.

"The scene is set to make a truly great British gangster film."

But...it already IS a truly great British gangster film!

Peter Wolf

When will it end ??

Fucking remakes.I live in Brighton so i can only assume that filming will take place here.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Proudhuff

Great cast, but I love the orginal too much to want this to happen, is it to be updated to now or a period piece? either way doesn't sound healthy, there much be so many new and wonderful books and scripts out there that would benifit from that cast and the investment that will be going into this....GGGGGrrrrrr!
DDT did a job on me

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: Proudhuff on 20 May, 2010, 12:09:37 PM
is it to be updated to now or a period piece? either way doesn't sound healthy,

It's being updated to the 1960s, for no apparent reason. I suspect that the studio believe that their imaginary audience of idiots would be unable to comprehend something set in the past that isn't 'Swinging Sixties'...

True, it's got a nice cast, but it's not a good a cast as the original.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Proudhuff

Images of a Austin Powers London swim thro my mind...

DDT did a job on me