Main Menu

Prog 1692 - Inflamation Station

Started by Dan Kelly, 03 July, 2010, 10:25:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan Kelly

Am I the first?  Woo

Dredd takes an interesting twist - Looks like [spoiler]Sinfield's for the Jump[/spoiler] but where will that leave the election?

Red Seas keeps on rolling steadily on as Dancer looks for allies.

Damnation Station finishes this week.  Leaving us with more that a couple of questions.  Look forwards to it's return.  There's a short article from Molcher about it as well.

Savage continues to be mad as a bag of Badgers.

And Stront is still a work of genius.  And a familiar face from the small press makes a cameo.

thejudgemuffin

Genuinely one of the best Dredd episodes ever!, reads like a tv series at it's best and one of the best episodes...outstanding. Really made my heart miss a beat. Outstanding!

Just goes to prove you don't need a monster/threat of the week for drama, in my opinion the more speech bubbles the better the story especially with such politicking going on. The other good stories sadly paled in comparison. Overall 11/10

Colin YNWA

Not up to the heights of last week but still a good prog. Dredd is simply superb again and things are really balanced and I'm still wondering quite how they'll land when whoever topples. It all seems a bit clearer but there could still be plenty of twists and turns to come.

Red Seas and Savage both dance along nicely all be it without quite the spectacular episodes we had last week. Strontium Dog is fantastic this week. It has a very different feel to it much more methodical that previous Strontium Dog stories but the tale of the characters is compelling and the whole thing is really refreshing.

Damnation Station finishes... yeah thats about all I can say really. Its a bit of an ending but not really a satisfying one. I guess in keeping with the strip as a whole. There's plenty left to make the prospect of a return worthwhile, but if I'm honest, not I'm not sure I'm fussed. Its been an interesting excerise and I guess as ever with such things it'll split the audience. I've wavered at time but over all I've found it a little to detached and its lacked real substance to hold the whole thing together. At the moment I'd mark it down as a nobel failure but if and when I get around to reading it in one go I suspect a fresh perspective may be found?

Good Prog.

Leigh S

Theres a familiar stront there that must have the Dog breathers smiling broadly this week - did you know that was coming, Bolt?  I'm assuming that McNultys note from space that mentions another stront called "Blubber-" isnt referring to Blubberlips, as he was killed by the Stix Brothers over a decade ago!

Richard

WoD

Proudhuff

a warning to the jockward squad... the Postie's been but no prog  :'(
DDT did a job on me

Dandontdare

Quote from: Proudhuff on 03 July, 2010, 11:37:39 AM
a warning to the jockward squad... the Postie's been but no prog  :'(

Same here - progless and distraught!

Bolt-01

OH MY DROKKING GRUD!

I never expected that. The thankyou was more than enough for my input to Stront, but to have Whistler in the BG this week has made my day. And to top it off- it is even one of my pictures, too.

I'm going to have to mail Tharg and ask his verdant majesty how this came to be, but for now I'm possibly the most happy Squaxx on the planet.

Oh, and I thought I'd already had my geek moment for the week when I turned the page and saw the SJS marching!

House of Usher

Judge Dredd was utterly brilliant. PJ Maybe's pitch to Dredd was quality writing, and I loved the panel of Dredd's posse of supporters striding purposefully after the bad guys using legitimate authority rather than a coup d'etat to change the order of things.

I couldn't face The Red Seas right away, so left it until last. Too much Pirates of the Caribbean, maybe. Too many big areas of white on the page too, which makes everything look overlit. The story isn't doing anything that interests me, which is a pity because of the sheer entertainment this strip has given in the past.

Savage is good, lunatic fun. That woman certainly is a liability. Was Eel Pie Island the only place he could have taken her? Not Somerset or Pembrokeshire or the Lake District? Savage fails in his efforts at becoming an instant bereavement counsellor. Too soon.

Damnation Station was good again this week. A pity [spoiler]the beardie fellow died choking on a burger[/spoiler] after evading the alien's flamethrower so easily. As a reader I feel robbed like I'm supposed to!

Not much happened in Strontium Dog this week, did it? Quality writing though. I liked how the reader takes a step back from the action via the device of a narrator to indicate the passage of time and to comment on the characters' actions as their investigation runs out of momentum. And hello Whistler!
STRIKE !!!

Pete Wells

Absolutely chuffed for you Bolt, what a great touch from the galaxy's greatest!

Here's my take on the prog this week:

Cover - Pure 2000AD, a giant fucking tripod burning the shit out of all and sundry. That'll do for me, thankyewverymuch!

Dredd - Sigh, just superb! Strangely, I was just reading about Buell and Garcia this week so it was great to see them back. This weeks episode, especially that wonderful panel of the SJS on the move, really reminded me of Windu and Palpetine's confrontation in Revenge of the Sith (I mean that as a compliment by the way.)

An absolutely stunning episode and for the first time in months I feel like I can see an end in sight that doesn't result in huge upheavals for the Dredd universe. Can't help but feel for PJ though, there's no way Dredd will let him live. I hope he gets out of his predicament somehow but just can't see it.

Red Seas - Chugging along nicely, I absolutely loved The Isle of Mists.

Damnation Station - All kinds of mental this week. More revelations and some nice overt manipulation from the host. Great text piece from Molcher too kinda backing the story up but I feel, as Stace said in the podcast, this has suffered a bit by being too bitty. I know for a fact when read all together this will read so much better.

Savage - By crikey Patrick Goddard is on fire these days isn't he? I've really enjoyed the last two episodes, a nice little departure. I know Pat uses the 'getting a team together' mechanic a little too much, but he's bloody good at it!

Stront - Wagner continues to tease us with little breadcrumbs in the script while Carlos continues to amaze us with breathtaking design work. I'm hooked!

The golden age of thrill power continues!

Toni Scandella

progless too :(

lalalalalal can't hear any of you!

Must not read spoilers.

Richmond Clements

See! Y'all have to buy Dogbreath now! It's cannon from now on in!!

Minkyboy

That march of the SJS and Senior Judges, just SO good!

And you know that Buell has been dreaming of that moment since he made SJS.

Bask in the glory fellow Squaxx, bask and soak it up.

Fiddling while Rome burns

"is being made a brain in a jar a lot more comen than I think it is." - Cyberleader2000

strontium71

Did anyone else think of the Vader march tune when you saw that pic?
...because I hate you.