Main Menu

Prog 1693 - Aces High

Started by flip-r mk2, 10 July, 2010, 09:36:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kehaar

Wow - I enjoyed dredd - I don't really think it's fully over there are sinfield clones out there, the mutant issue, the cost of the townships, and dredd on the council means he's tied to politics. The survivors also suggest trouble in the future.

I'm enjoying the strontie despite having no idea who feral is...

Savage was better with less daily express and more 'Battle' style action - but please bring on the droids. I'm a bit lost with red seas and sinister dexter truth be told but again enjoying them.

Never cared

Never
All the best, Kehaar

http://clarkythecruel.wordpress.com - mosaic novel, war-game & RPG material

http://alfiesantics....ress.com/about/ - RPG of Free Liverpool Secret Agents in a Very British Civil War

Dissecting worlds the social science in SF & Fantasy podcast @ www.geeksyndicate.co.uk

Toni Scandella

The ending to Dredd made almost made me whoop with delight.  I haven't read anything else yet.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Robin Low on 10 July, 2010, 02:40:07 PM
Quote from: Leigh Shepherd on 10 July, 2010, 01:53:25 PM
Really laying into Feral again this week.  Enjoyed the Ho Gan dig, though to be fair, he did seem to be slooooowly trying to reverse the direction that FS and Ennis DogS had sent the strip, bringing back SD agency etc. 

Not read this yet, but by the sounds of it I'm going to be pissed off. Ignoring Hogan's stuff is one thing, but having a dig is another, especially when Hogan's ideas were considerably more interesting than what Ennis offered up. But like I say, I've not read it yet.

Regards

Robin

I didn't read it as a 'dig' it read to me like a tongue-in-cheek in-joke.

Robin Low

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 10 July, 2010, 04:51:01 PMI didn't read it as a 'dig' it read to me like a tongue-in-cheek in-joke.

Fair enough. I'll wait until I've read it before I get properly uptight.

Regards

Robin

House of Usher

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 10 July, 2010, 04:51:01 PM
I didn't read it as a 'dig' it read to me like a tongue-in-cheek in-joke.

Really? Okay. I read it as quite dismissive and categorical: none of that stuff happened.
STRIKE !!!

flip-r mk2

See that's what happens ,us comic geeks get bent all out of shape trying to make everything cannon.

filip
It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana

House of Usher

Ah, now I don't care if any of that stuff happened or not! I never liked it. It just seemed a bit insensitive to me to appear to dismiss another writer's stories in print while alluding to that writer by name. If that's not what John Wagner meant to do then I'm sorry I said anything, but that's how it came across, and not only to me. By all means dismiss the stories as apocrypha, but please spare the feelings of the guy who wrote them.
STRIKE !!!

Bolt-01

I wasn't going to say anything about S/D, but I think I can say this- JW was originally going to be using a fair few of the cast of the Hogan run, till it was pointed out to him how many of them were dead, and had died on-page too. Which was a bit of a shame as I'm a fan of those stories and was hoping they would be used more.

There was quite a pause for rewriting there, let me tell you.

Personally- and remember I have NO claim to know what JW is thinking, I took the Ho-Gan thing as a simple line through the old strips. They are not part of the time-line that this story is set in.

We've also now had references to #2 adventures of Johhny alpha that we have not seen as well.

House of Usher

Interesting, and sheds light on Wagner's intentions. I'm not saying that in the reference to 'Ho Gan' John did anything wrong or that he needs any defending. I'm just saying it seemed a bit stark when I read it. Hence "ouch."
STRIKE !!!

Proudhuff

What a fine fine end to a fine fine story, Red seas was good too but who#s that in the final panel grimmancing?

Sin Dex interested me for the first time til the dame showed up...

Savage is fun, but yet again the specs are off so I'm confused.
DDT did a job on me

radiator

Dredd was ace, what a great ending - if I had a complaint, it would be that things were wrapped up a little too neatly... I felt there was more mileage in having a crooked Chief Judge so I was a little sad to see the back of Sinfield. Of course I don't expect this to be the last we see of him, or possibly March, whose fate remains unknown....

Stront is pretty bonkers! Not really how I'd imagined this story going.... Keen to see where it goes from here. Still don't like Carlos' interpretation of Feral, he looks so different from how he looks in The Final Solution that I find it hard to see him as the same character.

Leigh S

Quote from: radiator on 11 July, 2010, 09:56:59 PM
Stront is pretty bonkers! Not really how I'd imagined this story going.... Keen to see where it goes from here. Still don't like Carlos' interpretation of Feral, he looks so different from how he looks in The Final Solution that I find it hard to see him as the same character.

I kinda felt the same until something clicked this week.  Remember that FS is very much a Feral POV tale - We are seeing cool Feral as he imagines himself, and here we are getting the real Feral!

Well, it works for me :)

I do kinda get that vibe now though - that the fact the art we are seeing here is jsut more "true" to the Stront universe, so it mightnt be as cool as (for instance) Steve Pughs Feral, but it is a lot more stronty, if that makes sense

Aaron A Aardvark

I never liked Feral, so seeing him bloated and pathetic satisfies my schadenfreude.

Magnificent ending to Dredd. Wagner writes himself into a corner - then just writes himself out of it.

Savage isn't bad, I've lost faith in Red Seas and SinDex gave me yet another, "who the funt is that?" moments.

A good Prog overall.

Mikey

Dredd - great ending to a fantastic (IMO maybe the best ever) arc. Plenty of mileage left for the future and don't forget, [spoiler]Dredd is now on the council[/spoiler]. How's that going to work? Can't wait to find out!

Red Seas - I enjoyed this much more this week, but I always feel it's just about to start then the episode's over.

Savage - again with the enjoyment. I feel less confused when Bill carries his shootah and I think things are moving on nicely. I still haven't enjoyed this run as much as previous books; it's almost as if Pat isn't angry enough about something!

Stront - yep, this has a feel of real weight; there's a lot of reading in those pages, but superbly paced and illustrated, natch. I'm not so keen on how Feral looks - he doesn't really look 'feral' - but that's maybe the point. (I loved Simon Harrison & Steve Pugh's portrayal of him, BTW). I didn't feel as if the Ho Gan comment was a dig, but that it was a statement about where the story has come from, simply from Wagner's Dogverse, so Bolt's comments are very interesting.

Sin Dex - woot! I love Williams art! And I hope we get a longer run than previous. Yes, it was a scene setter but the scene has been well set.

I didn't recognise the cover as Mark Harrison at first glance. I liked it, but felt it was a bit subdued for Sin Dex.

Good proggage.

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

vzzbux

About Sin/Dex.
Why can I see them in four different camera's in three different locations?
Dex eating from a red bowl.
Sin/dex sitting on a red couch.
2 with Sin/dex sitting with Kal round a table from different angles.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.