Main Menu

Gatchaman / G-Force / Battle of The Planets / Whatever you call it...

Started by M.I.K., 18 July, 2010, 10:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radbacker

I'll watch it but CGI looks a bit video game quality to me.  Is this straight to DVD or gonna get a cinema release?

CU Radbacker

M.I.K.

I've heard something about Stereoscopic 3D in connection with it, so I think they intend to give it a cinema release. It does look a bit cheap though. There's apparently been a lot of delays due to "funding difficulties".

JOE SOAP

The characters all look like they're made of rubber. I'll settle for the 70's version.

Radbacker

If its going to be in 3D that might explain the roughness.

CU Radbacker

Colin YNWA

I've always been intrigued my the original 'Battle of the Planets' stuff, the Japanese stuff where it was one long story or something? Very different to the American TV show. Has that ever been released in English?

Do people know whether this is based on that?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 19 July, 2010, 08:28:29 AM
I've always been intrigued my the original 'Battle of the Planets' stuff, the Japanese stuff where it was one long story or something? Very different to the American TV show. Has that ever been released in English?

Do people know whether this is based on that?

It was released with English subtitles, this movie is based on it.

Colin YNWA

bluemeanie

Absolutely rubbish!
Nothing LIKE the cartoon!
I hardly saw the girls pants AT ALL!

Seriously though, looks like fun. Definately more dvd than cinema but I'm cool with that. Looking forward to it

Mardroid

I'm not sure about the colourful superhero kids but that big shooty robot was brilliant!

HdE

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 19 July, 2010, 08:28:29 AM

You should find it on American retail sites like Amazon.Com. Gatchaman is / was pretty popular over there. I believe ADV films put out a release with their usual cast of high quality voice actors on the dub. of course, I may be wrong.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

James Stacey

Eagle Riders wasn't it. Sure that is closer to the original Science Ninja Team Gatchaman. The awful bastardised Saban Battle of the Planets totally hacked up the original stories and added the lamentably badly animated 7 Zark 7 to help patch over the gaping plot holes.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: James Stacey on 19 July, 2010, 05:00:52 PM
Eagle Riders wasn't it. Sure that is closer to the original Science Ninja Team Gatchaman. The awful bastardised Saban Battle of the Planets totally hacked up the original stories and added the lamentably badly animated 7 Zark 7 to help patch over the gaping plot holes.

Yeah, but it had a way better theme tune than all the rest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoO5H_UKCrw

TordelBack

Ah, Battle of the Planets.  I remember watching the first Sandy Frank episode aged 9-or-10ish with huge excitement - I loved the look of the Phoenix (still do), was intrigued by Princess' pants, loved the picture of Star Wars-like space adventures painted by the credits (Mark=Luke, Jason=Han, Princess=Leia, Tiny = err, Chewie, Cheops=3P0 and that bloody robot = r2d2), and was then horribly disappointed to find the same damn squaky crap with Zoltar week after week.  At least Ulyssess 31 tried (and gave me a lifelong love of the Odyssey).

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 19 July, 2010, 10:12:01 PM
and was then horribly disappointed to find the same damn squaky crap with Zoltar week after week.  At least Ulyssess 31 tried (and gave me a lifelong love of the Odyssey).

ah, but did you watch BOTP up to the episode where Zoltar is beaten and his cowl falls off to reveal a long mane of hair and that he is a woman. Me and my cousin had the rug pulled from under us back then watching it, jaws agape. The transexual aspect of Zoltar's story was half dropped from the Sandy/Frank version but they left in enough for it to be obvious and sexually confuse a generation of kids; a female agent did appear in BOTP episodes which was in fact Zoltar undercover all along. Ulysses 31 is a different kettle of fish, Hellenic philosophy for the under 12's.