Main Menu

Lib-Dems are anti Dredd!

Started by Dandontdare, 27 July, 2010, 02:43:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Commenting on the (disgraceful) move to have our police run by elected US-style commissioners, Lib Dem MP Tom Brake said:

Without "tough checks and balances" the proposals could be seen as "a green light for the election of Judge Dredd characters more interested in populism than effective co-operative policing"

I get his point, but it shows a shameless lack of understanding of Dredd - not exactly someone who'd bend law enforcement for populist political motives!

I assume he means that flog-em-and-hang-em tough guys would get elected on Daily Mail style scare campaigns about rampaging hordes of muties immigrants causing a crime wave.

Tjm86

glad I'm not the only one that saw this this morning and thought I had been reading the wrong character for xxx years.  Dredd has been described as many things over the years, usually 'fascist', but 'populist'?  The inference I got from the pollutitions was that we would end up with hacks that only responded to current fads which is pretty much the status quo.  Trying to think of a single storyline that would reflect that view.  In fact didn't he stand on a platform of 'rigid discipline and the application of the law' when he ran for Chief Judge?

Certainly look forward to seeing what Mr Wagner makes of this, no doubt a story will be forthcoming in response.

Banners

This was quite a nice quote in The Times on Saturday...

M@

RyanBlade

I thought the LibDems were more like the Chameleon from spider-man. You think we're liberal democrats but, taa-daa, we're really Tory eneablers! Shut the country down, everyone caused this problem, everyone must pay!

The ConDems are more like Judge Death!

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Dandontdare on 27 July, 2010, 02:43:31 PM
Commenting on the (disgraceful) move to have our police run by elected US-style commissioners, Lib Dem MP Tom Brake said:

Without "tough checks and balances" the proposals could be seen as "a green light for the election of Judge Dredd characters more interested in populism than effective co-operative policing"

I get his point, but it shows a shameless lack of understanding of Dredd - not exactly someone who'd bend law enforcement for populist political motives!

Can we have some checks and balances Mr LiBDem MP against being taken over by the EU and the foreign EU police entering the UK and spying on and collecting personal info and arresting UK citzens then ??

Where are the "tough checks and balances" regarding this matter ??

Nowhere to be seen.

Of course not - how ridiculous !!! We cant have police or politics bowing to populism !!

I cant stand listening to these useless Cretins .
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death