Main Menu

Chan is Missing (His Embarrassingly Racist Dialogue)

Started by The Corinthian, 16 August, 2010, 08:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikey

Quote from: Noisybast on 18 August, 2010, 01:51:49 PM
I've often wondered why comedy chinese are considerd more acceptable than other ethnic stereotypes.

And don't forget the recent run of ads where a bunch of Chinese dudes are stopped mid chop socky by someone opening a jar of fuckin stir fry sauce. Ditto the banditos riding furiously off to find an improbably tasty chilli. From a jar.

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

TordelBack

Quote from: Mikey on 18 August, 2010, 03:42:40 PM
Quote from: Noisybast on 18 August, 2010, 01:51:49 PM
I've often wondered why comedy chinese are considerd more acceptable than other ethnic stereotypes.

And don't forget the recent run of ads where a bunch of Chinese dudes are stopped mid chop socky by someone opening a jar of fuckin stir fry sauce.

I suspect it's because we're scared shitless of China as a nation - it's unimaginably vast and powerful, rather strange to wstern eyes and (like many other places) has a history of being run by evil fuckwits.  Like much of the patronising style of racism that characterised media treatment of blacks in the first half of this century, it's about turning those you fear into inadequate comedy figures.

Coming back to 2000AD, this treatment is applied to many national stereotypes, starting with Wagner's own, but doesn't seem (to me) inspired by fear.

Steve Green

Quote from: jamesedwards on 18 August, 2010, 01:04:11 AM
A list of dodgy moments is due, these are the ones I can remember:

- Dante, Moscow Duellists - the Chinese are tiny guys with no personality and assigned numbers (that whole strip is really racially dodgy, didn't it establish the rulers of Africa are savage evolved apes?)

No, not really.

There were various wild animals who'd taken over from the human masters. Lions, Elephants and Apes.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: jamesedwards on 18 August, 2010, 12:35:40 PM

Well for a start unless I haven't been keeping up with the news, Mexicans have yet to evolve hive-brains and become an entity of single mind of purpose, and they're not going to, either.

They do however have the entire state of Arizona against them, massive prejudice against them in US society and generally a very hard time if they want to become US citizens.

No racism is condonable. There is a big difference between the concepts of Black History Month and White History Mointh though.

I would appreciate it if you would cut the sarcasm : I:E "In your not at all suspicious and highly sourced anecdote about Mexicans...

I will go on a bit here......

Anyway i wrote a very quick comment about a few things that were on my mind and i wasnt about to start providing links or sources or anything else like that but i know very well what is going on in the US regarding illegal immigration in the US particularly from Mexico and what i will say is that the prejudice that Mexican illegals face in the US is not without its reasons.

There are very specific reasons for this but the cause of the problem is that the Federal govt in the US is refusing to police and enforce any kind of border controls which is part of their remit under certain sections of the US Constitution so as a reaction to the wilful negligence of the US Federal govt Arizona has been forced to take matters into its own hands and police its own borders regardless of the Federal Govt which they have every right to do as individual states still have the right to be autonomous again under the dictats of various sections of the US constitution.

However Arizona is doing exactly what the US Constitution dictates so therefore they are in the right.

Of course this will by default mean racial profiling since it is a reaction to illegal immigration but it is not simply because of Racism or Racist residents of Arizona but instead its because of spiralling crime rates and various other problems caused by illegal immigrants exiting the worst example of a failed state which is Mexico.

I might as well also point out that Mexicans or illegals or whatever are routinely allowed to violate the rule of law as it is sanctioned by the Federal Govt as police are ordered not to arrest any of them.This is obviously a problem to the residents of Arizona and various other border states in the US.

Mexicans are routinely allowed to voice their hatred of White Americans very openly as it is sanctioned by the Federal govt.

This is a problem.

There is also a massive influx of criminal drug running gangs and people trafficking that spills over into the US on a daily basis from Mexico.

I might as well point out that there are various organisations that are fueling this problem beside the US Federal govt like LaRaza and LeReconquista who are radicalising Latinos and Mexicans to reclaim territory that they believe is theirs as the Mexicans previously lost it 100 or so years ago.

This is all very well documented.

Have you or anyone else got any idea how Mexico treats illegal immigrants in comparison to the US ?

As for the your comment about Mexicans not evolving hive-brains etc etc then i have already pointed out how wrong that is in this comment.

Yes there are problems with the process of becoming legal citizens in the US and they need to be addressed but i dont think the US is inherently racist per se towards Mexicans as there are plenty who have become legal citizens and they have had no problems integrating into society as its not like Americans dont want Mexicans in the US but they want them to do it legally and in controlled numbers.Legal Mexicans/Mexican-Americans feel much the same way as they inadvertantly get it in the neck as well through no fault of their own.

Of course there are two sides to this problem but i wont go into NAFTA/NAU and who is funding the radicalisation of Mexicans and i wont go into how they are allowed into the US illegally and how they are being used as voting bloc and i wont go into how employers love illegal immigrants because they provide very cheap labour and are easy to exploit and i wont go into how various trade agreeements have made a mess of their own country as well as the US and i wont go into the Obama administration and the political system in the US as a whole.

The whole thing is a very messy business but the blame lies not with the Mexicans themselves as they are really victims that are being used for political purposes.

I dont sanction hating them but it would be more constructive for White Americans to engage with them and talk to them and try and cultivate friendship and educate because race hate and violence isnt going to help anyone as its playing into the hands of Globalists/Banksters/White Elitists who are fuelling this problem and using race and race hatred as a means of dividing and ruling and destroying the US.

This is a VERY important point.

You have to understand the bigger picture to understand the cause.

I have gone on for long enough.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

flintlockjaw

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 18 August, 2010, 05:51:55 PM
Quote from: jamesedwards on 18 August, 2010, 12:35:40 PM

Well for a start unless I haven't been keeping up with the news, Mexicans have yet to evolve hive-brains and become an entity of single mind of purpose, and they're not going to, either.

They do however have the entire state of Arizona against them, massive prejudice against them in US society and generally a very hard time if they want to become US citizens.

No racism is condonable. There is a big difference between the concepts of Black History Month and White History Mointh though.

I would appreciate it if you would cut the sarcasm : I:E "In your not at all suspicious and highly sourced anecdote about Mexicans...

I will go on a bit here......

Anyway i wrote a very quick comment about a few things that were on my mind and i wasnt about to start providing links or sources or anything else like that but i know very well what is going on in the US regarding illegal immigration in the US particularly from Mexico and what i will say is that the prejudice that Mexican illegals face in the US is not without its reasons.

There are very specific reasons for this but the cause of the problem is that the Federal govt in the US is refusing to police and enforce any kind of border controls which is part of their remit under certain sections of the US Constitution so as a reaction to the wilful negligence of the US Federal govt Arizona has been forced to take matters into its own hands and police its own borders regardless of the Federal Govt which they have every right to do as individual states still have the right to be autonomous again under the dictats of various sections of the US constitution.

However Arizona is doing exactly what the US Constitution dictates so therefore they are in the right.

Of course this will by default mean racial profiling since it is a reaction to illegal immigration but it is not simply because of Racism or Racist residents of Arizona but instead its because of spiralling crime rates and various other problems caused by illegal immigrants exiting the worst example of a failed state which is Mexico.

I might as well also point out that Mexicans or illegals or whatever are routinely allowed to violate the rule of law as it is sanctioned by the Federal Govt as police are ordered not to arrest any of them.This is obviously a problem to the residents of Arizona and various other border states in the US.

Mexicans are routinely allowed to voice their hatred of White Americans very openly as it is sanctioned by the Federal govt.

This is a problem.

There is also a massive influx of criminal drug running gangs and people trafficking that spills over into the US on a daily basis from Mexico.

I might as well point out that there are various organisations that are fueling this problem beside the US Federal govt like LaRaza and LeReconquista who are radicalising Latinos and Mexicans to reclaim territory that they believe is theirs as the Mexicans previously lost it 100 or so years ago.

This is all very well documented.

Have you or anyone else got any idea how Mexico treats illegal immigrants in comparison to the US ?

As for the your comment about Mexicans not evolving hive-brains etc etc then i have already pointed out how wrong that is in this comment.

Yes there are problems with the process of becoming legal citizens in the US and they need to be addressed but i dont think the US is inherently racist per se towards Mexicans as there are plenty who have become legal citizens and they have had no problems integrating into society as its not like Americans dont want Mexicans in the US but they want them to do it legally and in controlled numbers.Legal Mexicans/Mexican-Americans feel much the same way as they inadvertantly get it in the neck as well through no fault of their own.

Of course there are two sides to this problem but i wont go into NAFTA/NAU and who is funding the radicalisation of Mexicans and i wont go into how they are allowed into the US illegally and how they are being used as voting bloc and i wont go into how employers love illegal immigrants because they provide very cheap labour and are easy to exploit and i wont go into how various trade agreeements have made a mess of their own country as well as the US and i wont go into the Obama administration and the political system in the US as a whole.

The whole thing is a very messy business but the blame lies not with the Mexicans themselves as they are really victims that are being used for political purposes.

I dont sanction hating them but it would be more constructive for White Americans to engage with them and talk to them and try and cultivate friendship and educate because race hate and violence isnt going to help anyone as its playing into the hands of Globalists/Banksters/White Elitists who are fuelling this problem and using race and race hatred as a means of dividing and ruling and destroying the US.

This is a VERY important point.

You have to understand the bigger picture to understand the cause.

I have gone on for long enough.

Mr. Wolf, you use your tongue prettier than a twenty dollar whore!

I came to the US and have lived in Arizona since '96. I became a US citizen back in 2007 and it was a hard slog to get there.

Seriously, you hit the nail on the head on all issues.

I don't know of any Mexicans or other South Americans that have a hard time going through the system to become US Citizens and I met a good few of them while I was sworn in. I was part of one of the biggest swearing in of US citizens in US history that took part in a stadium in Phoenix. There were over a 1000 of us and all from different countries. More than 100 different countries were represented.

'Illegal' is not a race.

bluemeanie

Just to jump back to the original post Im definately in the camp that while you cant make the same jokes now you could 20 or 30 years ago I dont think that reprints of old material should be amended to reflect current sensibilities.

I think people are intelligent enough to realise something is of its time and stuff shouldnt be buried because times and attitudes have changed. Its like the AWESOME old Superman cartoons which were produced while America was at war with Japan. The craft on them is amazing but the fact they were made while asians were down as the big bad makes them a little weird to watch now. I've heard people saying they should bin all the old Spirit comics as well because there is a black character in those who leans towards the stereotypical.

But yeah, racism bad... unless its aimed at the f***ing english   :-X

flintlockjaw

Quote from: bluemeanie on 18 August, 2010, 11:12:33 PM
Just to jump back to the original post Im definately in the camp that while you cant make the same jokes now you could 20 or 30 years ago I dont think that reprints of old material should be amended to reflect current sensibilities.

I think people are intelligent enough to realise something is of its time and stuff shouldnt be buried because times and attitudes have changed. Its like the AWESOME old Superman cartoons which were produced while America was at war with Japan. The craft on them is amazing but the fact they were made while asians were down as the big bad makes them a little weird to watch now. I've heard people saying they should bin all the old Spirit comics as well because there is a black character in those who leans towards the stereotypical.

But yeah, racism bad... unless its aimed at the f***ing english   :-X

Agreed.

jamesedwards

Generally speaking if you're going to reprint something like that, do it as a historical document... removing the racism might keep it away from impressionable kids (or stop it from adding to society's general racism index but it also gets the author off the hook in a big, big way. Tintin had to be redrawn to remove a lot of this, which means a lot of people might not know what Herge's work was actually like in the first instance (Red Sea Sharks is still pretty dubious and I'm sure there's plenty more dodgy ones, though... isn't The Blue Lotus an attempt to rehabilitate the Chinese while slagging off the Japanese?).

Peter Wolf

Quote from: flintlockjaw on 18 August, 2010, 10:01:20 PM

Seriously, you hit the nail on the head on all issues.

I  never guessed that you lived in the US.

I was just telling it like it is to the best of my knowledge and its not really my opinion as its all fact and well documented.

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death