Worst Dredd Artists

Started by brendan1, 05 September, 2010, 10:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

That lawmaster.

Words fail me.

johnnystress

hahahha:) oh mercy

in fairness Ive seen some of my favourite artist do horrible, horrible lawmasters

SuperSurfer

Yeah, I was going to mention the early computer colouring of Alan Craddock. What got me was that everything looked shiny and the gold on Judge's uniforms was even shinier. Unconvincing, seemingly coloured just with yellow and added black for tones.

Got say, I liked Sampson's artwork though would've liked the photo references to be toned down. It was very fashionable at the time in (non-comic) illustration and I was glad for that as I thought it might appeal to non-regular comic readers.

I think John Burns was superb on Dredd. Sure, not exactly a modern style but technically, the man is a master. To be fair, he has said in interviews that he was never comfortable drawing Dredd and always wanted to draw Dante.

As for Carney's beardo Dredd and Keith's God-knows-what Dredd, there should be an enquiry into that. I was abroad in that period for a couple of years and when I moved back to ol' Blighty I considered collecting 2K and the Meg again and filling in the gaps in my collection. Flicking through some back issues of the Meg in a comic shop I am sure I picked out an issue with Keith's artwork and I thought – if it is that bad now I'm not bothering.

JOE SOAP

The worst for me is still this pile of pants, complete with Lawmaster for the under 12s:

Unfortunate for Phil Elliot who is just not suitable for Dredd.

Dreddzilla

Does anyone know why Quality couldn't get better cover artists?
or at least use some ''modified'' 2000AD covers with Dredd on them like they did with ''Classics''?  :eh:

Staz Johnson

Quote from: Banners on 06 September, 2010, 09:44:08 PM
Quote from: vzzbux
mustn't forget these quality comics covers...

Hell, yeah... there were some awful ones...

There was some pretty bad art in the DC Dredd's too...

M@

Who's that doing the Neal Adams riff, is that Brent Anderson of 'Astro City' fame?

Dreddzilla

Quote from: Staz Johnson on 06 September, 2010, 10:41:48 PM
Quote from: Banners on 06 September, 2010, 09:44:08 PM
Quote from: vzzbux
mustn't forget these quality comics covers...

Hell, yeah... there were some awful ones...

There was some pretty bad art in the DC Dredd's too...

M@

Who's that doing the Neal Adams riff, is that Brent Anderson of 'Astro City' fame?
The cover artists name is Tom Grindberg.

Staz Johnson

Ahhh.. ok, yes I know of Tom. He's one of those real chamaeleon artists.. last thing i saw of his was in the mid 90's on a Thor book, & you would have sworn it was Mike Mignola..

Dreddzilla

Quote from: Staz Johnson on 06 September, 2010, 10:48:20 PM
Ahhh.. ok, yes I know of Tom. He's one of those real chamaeleon artists.. last thing i saw of his was in the mid 90's on a Thor book, & you would have sworn it was Mike Mignola..
Yes, I myself have been tricked by many a cover of his. :-[

Dreddzilla

Quote from: Garageman on 06 September, 2010, 10:34:37 PM
The worst for me is still this pile of pants, complete with Lawmaster for the under 12s:

This is certainly a story I want to read, but the artwork is just blah.

Goosegash

Not Dredd, but this stands out as an example of Quality's amazing lack of...quality.

I think it's supposed to be Dan Dare. As to the woman being molested by a tentacle, I've no clue.

Emperor

Quote from: Mr 9.8 on 06 September, 2010, 10:54:15 PM
Quote from: Garageman on 06 September, 2010, 10:34:37 PM

This is certainly a story I want to read, but the artwork is just blah.

Its not as bad as some of the examples above - I could see it getting into the small press (although the editor might ask for the Lawmaster to be done again, Dredd to look less like a grumpy chimp and they'd be told to finish drawing the stairs in the big first panel on page 2) so of the others I am not so sure about - like beardy Dredd, that is going to haunt me.

On the positive side - all those examples are from the more... troubled part of 2000 AD's history when it was at its nadir, or pulling itself out of it, and you'd imagine most of the artists will have radically improved since or sacked off the drawing gig all together. What it does highlight is both how high the bar was in the Golden Age and how well successive editors have done to return it there in the last 15 years.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

JayzusB.Christ

QuoteThis is certainly a story I want to read, but the artwork is just blah.

The story's muck too. dredd becomes a sexist suddenly, demanding a male judge's assistance because females aren't up to the job.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dreddzilla

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 07 September, 2010, 12:13:39 AM
QuoteThis is certainly a story I want to read, but the artwork is just blah.

The story's muck too. dredd becomes a sexist suddenly, demanding a male judge's assistance because females aren't up to the job.
Had to spoil the ending for me didn't ya? :eh:

JayzusB.Christ

it's only one panel halfway through the story. The ending is much more dramatic. Still pants enough though
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"