Main Menu

Worst Dredd Artists

Started by brendan1, 05 September, 2010, 10:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mygrimmbrother

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 07 September, 2010, 11:08:16 PM
His Dredd looks fine - he's a good artist - what i really want is to read his Legends if the Law scripts.

Can't help with that, I'm afraid. Messrs Bit and Torrent may be able to assist, however.

Quote from: Dog Deever on 07 September, 2010, 11:09:18 PM
I quite liked Raymond's Dredd. His gallery from that link has some nice watercolours, Jim. There's a real freshness and sensitivity to them.

I'm limiting my posts to informative or non-controversial content these days, but I have to say that whilst I never had Raymond down as a classic Dredd artist, I recall both Pieromania and Gator fondly, and can think of artists whose work provoked far stronger "that's not Dredd" reactions.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JayzusB.Christ

QuoteCan't help with that, I'm afraid. Messrs Bit and Torrent may be able to assist, however.

Heh. No worries, Jim.  But I don't want to do a fine chap like John out of writers' royalties! Wellll... maybe just this once...
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dreddzilla

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 07 September, 2010, 11:04:59 PM
...Aaaand: ignore.

Jim
:lol: Don't get me wrong Ian Gibson's art is phenomenal in 'Halo Jones' I just think he's wrong for Dredd.

Dog Deever

QuoteI recall both Pieromania and Gator fondly

I liked that American Footballish story- can't remember what it was called and I haven't read it in ages, IIRC it had Dekker as Dredd's rookie in it (maybe).
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

exilewood

Quote from: Dog Deever on 07 September, 2010, 11:55:15 PM
QuoteI recall both Pieromania and Gator fondly

I liked that American Footballish story- can't remember what it was called and I haven't read it in ages, IIRC it had Dekker as Dredd's rookie in it (maybe).

Pretty much exactly what I said earlier!

And it did & she was.

JOE SOAP

McMahon also mimicked Ezquerra initially.

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 07 September, 2010, 11:08:16 PM
Jim, when you of all people say John Byrne's Dredd is ok, well, it must be ok.

Indeed, even though his Dredd tale is far from his best ever work, it's still a lot better than some of the stuff they put into the weekly at the time and I always wondered why it had ended up in a Sci-Fi Special rather than running in 2000AD itself.

I suppose someone with the power to banish it must have spent time talking to Bryne...

I quite liked Raymond's Dredd. His gallery from that link has some nice watercolours, Jim. There's a real freshness and sensitivity to them.

I never thought he was right for Dredd, as there's more to drawing Dredd than just drawing Dredd, if you see what I mean.  He has his moments (I love his Vampire Vamp version of Hershey in City of the Damned) but the citizens and the City are just not right.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

I, Cosh

I'm not a massive fan of Gibson but I fucking love the way he draws H Wagons and Mantas and such. Plenty of artists have a distinctive take on Dredd, but I can only think of Gibson and Boo Cook who make the tech so much their own. It never fails to make me smile.
We never really die.

brendan1

Quote from: Mr 9.8 on 07 September, 2010, 11:00:39 PM
Haven't read the entire thread, but I'd like to vote Mike McMahon as one of the worst. :thumbsdown:

His latter Dredd work was rarer than Hen's teeth (Howler) and awful, but the stuff he did from around The Cursed Earth onwards, including the quite incredible art in the 91 and 82 Dredd annuals, are among the best and most influential Dredd art that exists.

Noisybast

Indeed. I'd quite like to see Raymond make a return as a more painterly artist, along the lines of Simon Davis.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Staz Johnson

I confess a running theme thru this thread confused me. The name Kim Raymond kept cropping up as being an artist who's work was universally disliked. I thought I knew who you guys were refering to, but since I'm not the best at remembering names I have been going thru some old progs, thinkin I was getting Kim Raymond mixed up by with some half-blind, left handed mid-nineties painter....

But no.. I was right, & frankly I don't see why you all dislike his work. I admit, that when his work was being published I too wasn't sure if he was male or female, but I always quite liked his stuff.. ok, maybe it's a little derivative of Ron Smith in it's final polish, & maybe for that reason it could be seen as a little dated in a 'Hotspur' & 'Victor' kind of way, but it has good concise, clear storytelling & strong draftmanship.

radiator

I always get Kim Raymond and Jeff Anderson mixed up for some reason.

QuoteI always quite liked his stuff.. ok, maybe it's a little derivative of Ron Smith in it's final polish, & maybe for that reason it could be seen as a little dated in a 'Hotspur' & 'Victor' kind of way, but it has good concise, clear storytelling & strong draftmanship.

I think much of the comments about Raymond are about his style not being suited to Dredd rather than his ability as an artist. Personally I'm not familiar enough with his work to have an opinion - though I don't remember it as being particularly bad.

Chris Weston

Actually, I'd nominate some of my own early Dredds. The artwork I produced for "Crazy Barry, Little Mo" still makes me cringe with embarrassment. My decision to take on the JD strip "SIX" was a deliberate attempt to make amends to Mr. Wagner... and to prove to myself I could do a decent Dredd.

Buddy

Quote from: The Cosh on 08 September, 2010, 08:25:10 AM
I'm not a massive fan of Gibson but I fucking love the way he draws H Wagons and Mantas and such. Plenty of artists have a distinctive take on Dredd, but I can only think of Gibson and Boo Cook who make the tech so much their own. It never fails to make me smile.

Gibson designed the Manta so he should be good at drawing it!

Steve Sampson still gets my vote for worst Dredd artist EVER.

Those recent images only show that he has bought a better photocopier!