Main Menu

Worst Dredd Artists

Started by brendan1, 05 September, 2010, 10:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IAMTHESYSTEM

Quote from: Chris Weston on 08 September, 2010, 01:51:25 PM
Actually, I'd nominate some of my own early Dredds. The artwork I produced for "Crazy Barry, Little Mo" still makes me cringe with embarrassment. My decision to take on the JD strip "SIX" was a deliberate attempt to make amends to Mr. Wagner... and to prove to myself I could do a decent Dredd.

I thought your depiction of a schizophrenic/socipathic Judge and his 'inner voice' was very good. Bit of a difficult subject matter to depict madness and insanity. Artists always rubbish their early works. I certainly do! It's how we progress. :)
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Trout

Actually, I'd nominate some of my own early Dredds. The artwork I produced for "Crazy Barry, Little Mo" still makes me cringe with embarrassment.

Artist in being incredibly wrong shock.

I like that stuff.

- Trout

mogzilla

Actually, I'd nominate some of my own early Dredds. The artwork I produced for "Crazy Barry, Little Mo" still makes me cringe with embarrassment. My decision to take on the JD strip "SIX" was a deliberate attempt to make amends to Mr. Wagner... and to prove to myself I could do a decent Dredd.

welcome to the board mr weston.

brendan1

Oddly enough, I re-read that last week! It's clearly not the greatest work you've ever done, but it certainly doesn't merit being anywhere near this thread. I particularly enjoyed Kurten's bowl-head haircut and the cheek-drilling scene (and subsequent dented perp face)

brendan1

Quote from: Staz Johnson on 08 September, 2010, 01:15:20 PM

I admit, that when his work was being published I too wasn't sure if he was male or female, but I always quite liked his stuff.. ok, maybe it's a little derivative of Ron Smith in it's final polish, & maybe for that reason it could be seen as a little dated in a 'Hotspur' & 'Victor' kind of way, but it has good concise, clear storytelling & strong draftmanship.

I suppose it's - like anything - a matter of taste. I remember my 12 year old heart sinking when confronted with a Raymond Dredd because I wished it was McMahon, or Bolland, or Ezquerra or Smith or, well, anyone. Those big, horrible teeth and jaws and oddly-positioned limbs. Yuck.

trapperconnor

Jon Haward's Dredd looks totally unconvincing, good with the Fatties but thats it.

[Edited by Wake]

Trout

Quote from: trapperconnor on 08 September, 2010, 03:21:44 PM
Dredd looks totally unconvincing, good with the Fatties but thats it.

The (unedited) comment is offensive and completely wrong. If you're going to make an attack like that, you should back it up with some sort of reasoning.

If you're capable of reasoning.

Reported to the mods.

- Trout

Beeks

Quote from: King Trout on 08 September, 2010, 03:37:55 PM
Dredd looks totally unconvincing, good with the Fatties but thats it.

The (unedited) comment is offensive and completely wrong. If you're going to make an attack like that, you should back it up with some sort of reasoning.

If you're capable of reasoning.

Reported to the mods.

- Trout

Agreed...he has the diplomacy of Elmer Angel
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

brendan1

Haward's work on the slightly underwhelming Telguth strips was OK

brendan1

Never liked John McCrea much, though.

Buddy

Quote from: brendan1 on 08 September, 2010, 03:44:38 PM

Nor me.

Will Simpson has produced some shocking stuff and also some wonderful stuff, how's that for a balanced debate!

Darren Stephens

Jon Haward...
What the f*ck are you talking about?! His works fantastic!  ::)
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

brendan1

Quote from: Buddy (previusly Uncle Umpty) on 08 September, 2010, 03:51:45 PM
Quote from: brendan1 on 08 September, 2010, 03:44:38 PM

Nor me.

Will Simpson has produced some shocking stuff and also some wonderful stuff, how's that for a balanced debate!

Re-reading War Machine last night, and it's pretty good, but in some of the smaller panels it is IMPOSSIBLE to discern what the fuck is going on. Just a murky wash of grey/ blue blobs, with red lasers painted over it.

radiator

QuoteWill Simpson has produced some shocking stuff and also some wonderful stuff, how's that for a balanced debate!

Yeah I'd agree with that. Overall I really like his work but it's quite uneven - there are usually a few really odd panels in his strips.

TordelBack

Actually, I'd nominate some of my own early Dredds. The artwork I produced for "Crazy Barry, Little Mo" still makes me cringe with embarrassment.

If it's of any consolation, I absolutely loved the art on that strip, then and now.