Main Menu

Underrated/Forgotten Art

Started by JOE SOAP, 08 September, 2010, 06:26:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Since we have "best and worst of..." art threads why not the unsung.

I've always wondered what happened to these lads, Richard Preston & Edmund Kitsune, who worked on Joovz 'n' the Hood from the '92 Dredd Mega-Special.

Storytelling, dynamic framing, pacing, characterisation, it's all there. I'm not a huge fan of the water based colouring and would prefer more variation in the line work between foreground and background, or more variation in colour could sort this, but It has a deceptively loose feel and a certain McMahonish attitude. A rare thing, nice.

radiator

Yep, I've seen this crop up in various 'worst art EVAR' threads, but I really like it.

Dunk!

Fully expected to see this turn up on the negative worse artists thread.

Personally I've always really liked it (though not seen so much before), dynamic and deceptively simple, as you say. The watercolour must have seemed quite fresh surrounded by the brown drudge painty work of the time.

Cheers for posting that, Garageman.

Dunk!
"Trust we"

Greg M.

I remember really enjoying this at the time - there's so much of a sense of energy and movement in the characters. There's something about it that totally fits the subject, a real vibrancy. And appropriately enough, they draw really great MC-1 juves - check that balance between childishness and adulthood in the faces of the little thugs.

radiator

QuoteFully expected to see this turn up on the negative worse artists thread.

Think someone mentioned it.

JOE SOAP

Technically I think it's too good to be on a "bad art" thread. If you like it or not is personal taste but I'd like to have seen how these two could have developed had they stayed the course in 2000AD. A missed oppurtunity.

Chris Weston

Believe it or not, that's the work of Edmund Bagwell under a previous pseudonym. I really liked his art at the time, but now he's incredible.

JOE SOAP

Thanks Chris. Mystery solved. Bagwell's Blog is great, he's a super talent.:

http://fourcoloursgood.blogspot.com/

Emperor

Quote from: Chris Weston on 08 September, 2010, 08:25:23 PM
Believe it or not, that's the work of Edmund Bagwell under a previous pseudonym. I really liked his art at the time, but now he's incredible.

Oooooo interesting. For reasons that escape me (and I was never able to track down a source) I thought he used the penname Edmund Perryman. I have checked and the style on the few Rogue Troopers he did don't rule him out completely (and they were quite a collaboration so it may be that altered things slightly).
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Darren Stephens

Quote from: Garageman on 08 September, 2010, 08:54:30 PM
Thanks Chris. Mystery solved. Bagwell's Blog is great, he's a super talent.:

http://fourcoloursgood.blogspot.com/
Wow, you aren't kidding!  :D
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Dunk!

Quote from: Chris Weston on 08 September, 2010, 08:25:23 PM

True. Great stuff, I love discovering such work for the first time.

A blog to follow.
"Trust we"

radiator

QuoteBelieve it or not, that's the work of Edmund Bagwell under a previous pseudonym. I really liked his art at the time, but now he's incredible.

Ha ha! That's brilliant!

johnnystress

Leigh S

DAmn you!

I saw the title of this thread and came on to big up that very strip, adn to ask Thrrg to give Bagwell more Dredd, as I think that just on that one outing he showed the promise to be a top ten Dredd artist.  Then nothing!

But you've already picked him, and named and unshamed him. bah!

Steven Denton

I remember going back to 'Joovz 'n' the Hood' several times as a young reader for the artwork (it's a nice little story in all respects but I was very interested in he art) good compositions and page lay outs an excellent sense of movement and deceptively complicated open line work. The colour didn't work as well but it's got it's nice moments. It has a touch of the Brendan McCarthy and a little Brett Ewins about it. I'm not all that surprised to find out it's Edmund Bagwell's work.