Main Menu

McMahon "swipes"

Started by BPP, 05 September, 2010, 11:09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staz Johnson

Quote from: pauljholden on 08 September, 2010, 09:37:42 PM
It wouldn't surprise me a great deal, if, at the time, the 2000Ad editorial put out certain poses and expected artists to use/reuse them.

I would think that is almost guaranteed. I remember some of Brett Ewins early Rogue Trooper episodes where he quite simply 'traced' particular Gibbons images...clearly this wasn't because he couldn't draw, so I can only assume it was because editorial asked him to stay 'on style'.

Staz Johnson

What IS alarming tho, is that ComicArtFans Brett Ewins page is labelled as a 'try out'... Brett Ewins doing a try out???? wtf?

vzzbux

Notice it is dated 2005. Shame I thought the Ewins droid was also returning to the prog for a second there.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

The Corinthian

Quote from: Staz Johnson on 08 September, 2010, 10:13:47 PM
It wouldn't surprise me a great deal, if, at the time, the 2000Ad editorial put out certain poses and expected artists to use/reuse them.

I would think that is almost guaranteed. I remember some of Brett Ewins early Rogue Trooper episodes where he quite simply 'traced' particular Gibbons images...clearly this wasn't because he couldn't draw, so I can only assume it was because editorial asked him to stay 'on style'.
Reading between the lines, Ewins seems to be the principle target of McMahon's censored 'Dredd and the Bloodsuckers' page from 'Tharg's Head Revisited'.

Whether that's fair or not is another matter.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Corinthian on 08 September, 2010, 10:56:58 PM
Whether that's fair or not is another matter.

McMahon has said (in TPO, unless I hallucinated the whole thing) that he very specifically targetted 'Bloodsuckers' at an artist called (ahem) "Bratt", and singularly mentioned the cover for a Judge Dredd RPG scenario -- I suspect it's 'Judgement Day' which is, let's face it, a straight trace of the central Dredd element:

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Banners

Quote from: Jim_Campbell
McMahon has said (in TPO, unless I hallucinated the whole thing) that he very specifically targetted 'Bloodsuckers' at an artist called (ahem) "Bratt"...

Heh...

M@

Emperor

Good find - where did that come from?

Quote from: Emperor on 08 September, 2010, 09:39:43 PM
Good find!

(ps ditto, this doesn't belong in a worst art thread...)

you are right it doesn't fit, I can split it off - any preference for the name?

And split.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

BPP

Err.. what witch-craft is this? I never started this thread.

Rather cheeky of whichever mod moved it to place it in my name. The comment was only an aside and i dont really want to be seen as knocking Ian Kennedy in a thread by itself.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

JOE SOAP

Emperor

Quote from: Garageman on 09 September, 2010, 12:03:39 AM
Too late, you spawned it.

He he spawned it pnwed it, or something.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

SuperSurfer

www.bleedingcool.com/2010/09/08/swipe-file-mike-mcmahons-dredd-and-everybody-elses/

While digging up art to take part in the current 'Influence' art meme, I was looking for some Brett Ewin's art (I remember his Rogue being something I greatly loved at the time)

Ha. Interesting, as yesterday I was trying to find this which I strayed across a couple of days ago, but Barney seemed to be down (or perhaps it was my pesky internet connection).

http://www.2000ad.org/artwork/dredd_brette2.jpg

Maybe editors did ask artists to base artwork on that of other artists but IIRC McMahon was pretty riled at the Dredd board game (?) box cover art by Brett Ewins which copied McMahon's iconic Cursed Earth front cover.

(Oh, bloody hell I see someone beat me to that one – there always has to be someone more nerdy than me!)

SuperSurfer

Regarding styles, didn't Ian Gibson once comment that he went for the McMahon version of Dredd as opposed to the Bolland version as a tribute to McMahon who was ill at the time? Or something like that – but don't quote me!

Don't all Dredds still fall into those two categories? The McMahon or the Bolland version? Might be worth thinking about that one.

BPP

early Bolland Dredd looks like (even earlier) Gibson Dredd - the spherical helmet and wide visor, the small shoulder pad and the way the eagle sits.

Its Ezquerra-Gibson-McMahon-McCarthy (BIG SKOOL)

vs

Smith-Bolland=Turner-Cooper (STRAIGHT LINES)

no contest.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Staz Johnson

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 09 September, 2010, 12:14:01 AM
Maybe editors did ask artists to base artwork on that of other artists but IIRC McMahon was pretty riled at the Dredd board game (?) box cover art by Brett Ewins which copied McMahon's iconic Cursed Earth front cover.

I don't know Mike MacMahon personally (so maybe someone should quiz Rufus on this specific point) so I don't know exactly how annoyed he was at the whole swiping thing, but since he went to the effort of creating that infamous satire strip on the subject, I think it's fair to say he was more than a tad miffed. But to be honest, I think he's got a bit of a nerve to be so uppity.. when he started on Dredd he was borrowing heavily from Esquerra's style, even if he didn't actually copy Carlos's drawings. So much so, that when images from Carlos's original discarded strip were dropped into Machmahon strips, the join was seamless.

I suppose you could argue that when MacMahon did it he was a young illustrator finding his way in the industry, & he soon developed his own style, whereas Ewins was already an established pro when he did the games cover, but even so... borrowing from artists is something that goes on all the time in this industry. I have seen poses lifted directly from my owm work by arists who are far more established than me.. & to be honest, I took it as a huge compliment.

ming

Quote from: Staz Johnson on 09 September, 2010, 10:46:25 AMwhen he started on Dredd he was borrowing heavily from Esquerra's style, even if he didn't actually copy Carlos's drawings.

I'm very vague on the details, but wasn't the use of Ezquerra's style requested at an editorial level, rather than McMahon just mimicking Ezquerra for the sake of it?

I may be completely wrong on that, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly with a copy of TPO in their trousers (mine are in the wash).