Main Menu

How Should I Kill Time?

Started by Definitely Not Mister Pops, 01 October, 2010, 01:44:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I have a 55 hour week coming up in work. It's not as horrific as it sounds, I work in a Hotel Car Park, which mostly just involves sitting in a booth with a bunch of monitors, occasionally giving out change, but mostly reading and watching box-sets.

So I'm just looking for suggestions for things to watch/read.

I've asked my mates, but they keep suggesting stuff I've already read/seen.

But so far I've got the original BBC Radio Series of 'HitchHikers Guide to the Galaxy' :D
I've read the books, but never heard the original radio show in it's entirety.

I also have the BBC Radio play of 'The Day the Law Died'

So anything else ye can suggest :-*
You may quote me on that.

COMMANDO FORCES

Why not get the other BBC audio drama 'Apocalypse War' and then you could move onto the Big Finish audio drama's as well (18 in the first run and a new batch of 4).

Why not also go for the Dredd Virgin novels (9) and all the 2000AD novels in the Black Flame line. These include Dredd 9, Anderson 2, Alpha 5, Durham Red 5, Rogue Trooper 3, Dante 3, Fiends of the Eastern Front 3, Fiends of the Rising Sun 1, Slaine 2, Caballistics, Inc 2 and ABC Warriors 2.

Art

Noisybast

If you're looking to kill time, I'd suggest nipping back 50 years or so and killing your own grandfather. Or maybe sneezing on a dinosaur, or something. Alan Moore would probably be able to help, if you can get hold of him. I think Button Moon has a ritual of summoning he could maybe link to...
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

House of Usher

There are these... what was it now? 'Libraries' I think they call them. Full of books you've not read before, so they tell me.

;)
STRIKE !!!

Dandontdare

You could wait until two identical cars get parked and then break into them, swap all the contents around and move them into each other's spaces. The owners will think they've gone mad when their number plate mysteriously changes overnight.

Can you tell I'm bored at work as well?

Roger Godpleton

- Why not see if anyone is eating lunch in their car and then ask if you can join them with your own lunch? Maybe you can trade sandwiches.

- Count out all of the day's takings so that the guys upstairs don't have to.

- Synchronize all of your timekeeping devices so that there is no possibility of you arriving a couple of minutes late for the foreseeable future.

- Draft out your will.

- Spend some time with the blueprints of the building, in order that you may know every aspect of where you work in case of fire or other emergencies.

- Using security footage, run daily time trials for customers running up and/or down the stairs, with daily, weekly and monthly prizes (such as the possibility of you asking your boss if they can have a £1 discount on certain days of the week.)

- Keep an eye out for terrorists.

- Have all of your mail delivered to the car park so that you can establish a correspondence with the authors of the books that you read.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Peter Wolf

Do more drawing and see yourself improve at it.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

SmallBlueThing

Create, and place, hand crafted love notes in little perfumed envelopes beneath the windscreen wipers of cerain vehicles. In the notes, refer to the vehicles by make, colour and registration only, never by the phsical attributes of the drivers.
This will be doubly amusing because the drivers will imagine they have a secret admirer in a 'blue astra gke 669v' and return to your car park for potential illicit rendesvous, and in your head you can imagine its actually the cars themselves that have fallen in love.
SBT

JayzusB.Christ

Practise meditation, self-hypnosis and positive visualisation - which is what i did when fixing the doors onto Audis 200 times a day in Germany. 
Or just to what I did when i was a kitchen porter, and flick tofu cubes against the wall, pretending you're a giant splattering human brains satisfyingly against your cave. The sad thing was, my friend had the same job and taught me the trick.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

radiator

I recommend getting the box set of America: Empire of Liberty by David Reynolds/BBC Radio 4.

It's an audio documentary series covering the entire history of America right up to the Obama inauguration. Doesn't sound that exciting, but I thought it was really well executed and absorbing.

It's a very broad overview, really, never really dwelling on any one topic or period for long (which can be a good thing, as it never gets bogged down, but a bad thing when you are left wanting more information). A more informed audience would probably sneer at such a populist work, but for someone like me (never paid much attention to history lessons at school) it's perfect. I found the chapters dealing with the US Civil War especially horrifying and fascinating in equal measure!

Episodes are short (10-15mins each, 90-odd episodes in all), and the narration is enlivened with sound effects and readings from relevant artefacts and contemporary novels - or actual recordings where appropriate. Really interesting stuff, and it was very satisfying listening to it and feeling all the little scattered bits of info I previously knew about America slotting together like a big jigsaw and given context.

You can get it off Amazon, or check if they have it in your local library.

If that doesn't interest you, have a look out for the Adam and Joe 6 Music/Xfm podcasts and/or the Ricky Gervais Show podcasts (all of which can be found online with a bit of perseverence).

House of Usher

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 01 October, 2010, 02:36:52 PM
Practise meditation, self-hypnosis and positive visualisation

Or alternatively, you could resist this kind of encouragement to dabble in the occult!  :lol:
STRIKE !!!

JayzusB.Christ

Or alternatively, you could resist this kind of encouragement to dabble in the occult!

Dammit, Usher, his soul was almost in my grasp!

You could learn a language too - Michel Thomas (Tomas?)'s stuff is ace - makes language learning piss-easy and you don't need to do any writing or study.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

johnnystress

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 01 October, 2010, 04:52:06 PM
You could learn a language too - Michel Thomas (Tomas?)'s stuff is ace - makes language learning piss-easy and you don't need to do any writing or study.

I don't know if I can trust a guy that has the affront to wear that thing on his head

http://www.michelthomas.com/

JayzusB.Christ

Jesus wept. I didn't know he looked like that. scratch that last post, no good can come of listening to a man gripped by that monstrosity. In any case, he's dead, so you'll be listening to the words of a corpse