Main Menu

General Non-Comics Writing Discussion

Started by Lady Festina, 31 October, 2010, 01:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emperor

Nick Hornby is working on encouraging kids to write, something some of you might be interested in encouraging the sprogs to get involved with and some of you might be interested in helping out in some way (it needn't be just about writing stories but any kind of writing):

Quote"It's not just about stories either: we get excited by all forms of writing, from song lyrics to play scripts, screenplays to journalism, blogging to games, and poems to graphic novels. You'll be able to find the Ministry of Stories through a secret door inside the first shop in the world to supply the daily needs of monsters of all shapes and sizes."

www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/nov/18/nick-hornby-ministry-stories
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Lady Festina on 22 November, 2010, 03:00:44 PM
Does your slash brain have anything to offer on editing???? I hate bloody word limits and the hideous cull that follows when you have to try and turn 900 words into 500 and you feel the life being sucked out of your story.....

(If your top editing tip is "start it all over again", I might just weep...)

You see, I love this bit!
I've recently written a couple of things that had to be edited down from 2000 words to 1400, and any entries I've done on the comps here have had the same ratio.

I find that it makes me think more about what I'm writing and is the essence of the Number One Rule in writing: omit unnecessary words.

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 23 November, 2010, 10:16:33 AM
I find that it makes me think more about what I'm writing and is the essence of the Number One Rule in writing: omit unnecessary words.

My number one rule of writing is don't think about what you're writing  :D!

I just love that sort of raw burst, where I snap out of it and hour or two later and found I wrote something. Then I redraft to give the words a flow (usually when I omit what's not needed).

Emperor

if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Zarjazzer

Quote from: Emperor on 06 November, 2010, 01:39:26 AM
Fantasy Magazine:
www.fantasy-magazine.com/about-2/about/

Lightspeed Magazine:
www.lightspeedmagazine.com/guidelines/

Wow I loved one of the stories on the Fantasy magazine "Bitterdark" it was superb.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Richmond Clements

locustsofdeath!

Those should be 'twelve rules to publishing'. Writing has no rules.

Great link. Thanks, Rich.

Lady Festina

Liked the link, though I think his expectations that editors / subs will sort out your spelling and punctuation for you is a bit optimistic....

Emperor

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 24 November, 2010, 10:38:23 AM
Wonderful, wonderful stuff: http://shevdon.com/the-twelve-rules-of-writing

Hmmmmmmm:

QuoteBut isn't the rule: Show, Don't Tell, I hear you ask? A simple question: do you tell a story or show it? Showing is for dogs and horses.

And comics. ;)

locustsofdeath!

Zarjazzer

The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Richmond Clements

I have just discivered that it's open door month at Angry Robot- better get the final third of the novel finished!
http://angryrobotbooks.com/open-door-month-guidelines/

Jim_Campbell

Hmm. As it happens, I have a finished near-future thriller that I've been meaning to polish up and send out.

(I wonder whether Marc Gascoine has forgiven me for whatever it was I did that made him feel it was appropriate to be quite as hostile as he was to me when he worked at Games Workshop?)

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Emperor

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 15 March, 2011, 12:02:31 PM
Hmm. As it happens, I have a finished near-future thriller that I've been meaning to polish up and send out.

(I wonder whether Marc Gascoine has forgiven me for whatever it was I did that made him feel it was appropriate to be quite as hostile as he was to me when he worked at Games Workshop?)

Submit under a pseudonym then if he wants to drop you when you revael who you are threaten to sue.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Emperor on 15 March, 2011, 01:52:20 PM
Submit under a pseudonym then if he wants to drop you when you revael who you are threaten to sue.

Sneaky. I like it!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.