Main Menu

EXCLUSIVE - FIRST STILL FROM DREDD!

Started by Cyber-Matt, 19 November, 2010, 05:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beeks

Quote from: doggettX on 09 December, 2010, 06:38:11 PM
Health and saftey would never allow a flying car.

Instead of breaking down and pulling over to the side, you'll break down and fall on someones house.

Surely the same could be said about planes?
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

Mark Taylor

Quote from: George Moore on 09 December, 2010, 07:48:39 PM

Instead of breaking down and pulling over to the side, you'll break down and fall on someones house.

Difference is, getting a pilot's license is just a little more challenging than an ordinary driving test. With flying cars you'd end up with a sky full of idiots dropping their cars on people's houses.

HdE

After takinga cursory look at the new pics, I still don't think there's a whole lot to get any kind of accurate idea of how the movie will look.

I mean, I HOPE  we don't get something with the visual style of Children Of Men (somebody mentioned that movie earlier) - mostly because I hated that movie with a vengeance, but also because I thought it looked crap.

I see evidence of some real design ethic at work here though, so whatever happens, it ought to be interesting. Snippets I hear about the story sound pretty appealing, so at least that offers some hope.

Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

PsychoGoatee

Since the Judge's vehicle of choice is the Lawmaster, and since reportedly this movie is mostly Dredd & Anderson in the thick of it in the city, I don't think we'll see much of these vehicles in the movie.

That said, indeed they aren't impressive, but I'll withhold judgement of course.

Pumped for this movie, baby!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: HdE on 09 December, 2010, 10:06:55 PM

I mean, I HOPE  we don't get something with the visual style of Children Of Men (somebody mentioned that movie earlier) - mostly because I hated that movie with a vengeance, but also because I thought it looked crap.

Visually, it was meant to look "crap", it was dystopian and everyone had given up. Technically and craft-wise I don't think you can criticise it as bad work.

HdE

That's a fair point, and it IS just my opinion. (I hated Children Of Men on every imaginable level.)

But... I can't say as I'd be overly excited at the prospect of a Judge Dredd movie with the same visual tone. I'd certainly expect any movie featuring the character to be better than that. By a LONG mile.

JOE SOAP

What was crap about the "look" of Childen of men?

Peter Wolf

Quote from: HdE on 09 December, 2010, 11:24:52 PM
That's a fair point, and it IS just my opinion. (I hated Children Of Men on every imaginable level.)

But... I can't say as I'd be overly excited at the prospect of a Judge Dredd movie with the same visual tone. I'd certainly expect any movie featuring the character to be better than that. By a LONG mile.

I think what you mean is the JD film should be a bit more removed from reality than Children Of Men but i can sse it happening because its budget restrictions that are forcing the film to be more grounded in reality because there isnt the budget to create elaborate sets and props etc so i can see why the "gritty" and "Realistic"  look has been chosen for that reason because its cheap and easy.

Quote from: Mark Taylor on 09 December, 2010, 08:03:18 PM
Quote from: George Moore on 09 December, 2010, 07:48:39 PM

Difference is, getting a pilot's license is just a little more challenging than an ordinary driving test. With flying cars you'd end up with a sky full of idiots dropping their cars on people's houses.

Thats a bit simplistic.

You dont get that many planes falling out of the sky when you take into consideration that its difficult to get a pilots licence because surely if you have passed the flying test you would be competent or else what would be the point in having it ?

That argument doesnt add up and the only thing that does is that if you have a skyful of flying cars then accidents involving flying cars would increase percentage wise by default if there is a ten or fifty fold increase in air traffic but if everyone was a competent flying driver then in  theory you wouldnt have any more flying accidents than road accidents percentage wise roughly speaking .I say that because there are different factors to consider than road driving.

The air traffic accident increase because of the increased air traffic would stop the idea getting off the ground but i am arguing against that being caused by stupidity alone and partly because i have nothing better to do or that its a delaying tactic to avoid what i should be doing right now.

The roads arent completely full of morons so why should the sky be completely full of morons ?
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Stan

Yeah, but current road accidents don't accupy my flat while I'm asleep. I can chose to cross the road safely but I can't dodge a car that lands on my bed at 4am. Do you really want people flying a ton of metal over your house while applying make-up or updating their Facebook? Because that's what'll happen.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: SAJse on 10 December, 2010, 01:02:58 AM
Yeah, but current road accidents don't accupy my flat while I'm asleep. I can chose to cross the road safely but I can't dodge a car that lands on my bed at 4am. Do you really want people flying a ton of metal over your house while applying make-up or updating their Facebook? Because that's what'll happen.

Obviously you would have flight paths and restrictions on flying over built up areas and that type of thing but i wasnt making an argument for the idea of flying cars being workable.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

HdE

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 10 December, 2010, 12:47:10 AM

I think what you mean is the JD film should be a bit more removed from reality than Children Of Men but i can sse it happening because its budget restrictions that are forcing the film to be more grounded in reality because there isnt the budget to create elaborate sets and props etc so i can see why the "gritty" and "Realistic"  look has been chosen for that reason because its cheap and easy.

Nailed it! That's a better way of expressing it than I could have come up with.

By way of answering Joe Soap's question of the back of that, I think the biggest reason why I don't want the new Dredd movie to look like Children Of Men is that the other movie gave me a certain kind of viewing experience that I don't enjoy. I was watching a movie that looked like it could have been a documentary at times. So yes, I definitely don't want that from the new Dredd.

I have certain issues with the use of terms like 'gritty realism' in connection with Judge Dredd. The strip certainly works on a dramatic level as some of the storylines from the last few years have capably demonstrated. But I also appreciate the broad streak of fantasy that runs through it - personal vehicles zip through the air. Roads are crammed with trundling mobile homes. People dress like freaks.There's advertisements everywhere.

It remains to be seen exactly how the new movie will convey all that. I'm struggling right now witht he notion that the Big Meg won't look like the Mega City of the comics. But if the movie is engaging, I can pretty much forgive anything.

M.I.K.

Remember this has Anderson in it. A Judge who combats crime using her psychic powers.

Steve Green

That's part of the reason why I think the 'must be realistic' path is a bit odd, when you have a telepath, or the conceit that you never see Dredd's face, or the very accurate helmet, but a much more realistic take on the rest of the uniform.

I'm just unsure what direction they're going, and why they made certain choices.

PsychoGoatee

There's "realistic" sci-fi, or as we like to call it... hard sci-fi. That's fun to say. HARD. You can have hard sci-fi with psychics.

I do like my Dredd to be stylized and somewhat over-the-top, but hey, I'm looking forward to seeing how they do it for the movie.

Michaelvk

In all fairness to the vehicle wrangler, the vehicle they wanted to get for that role was absolutely, positively NOT available.. The vehicle in question is an awesome looking cash in transit van. The owners were unwilling to allow us to have any.
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..