Main Menu

The story behind the story J. D. Megson (Meg 3.63)

Started by The Adventurer, 01 December, 2010, 05:35:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Adventurer

I was (re)reading my copy of the Judge Dredd Henry Flint Collection when I got to the story, J. D. Megson (Meg 3.63).  I read it once 2 or 3 years ago when the trade was new, and thought it was good but just another Dredd story.  But on this read through I realized that it seems to actually be an allegorical story about the Judge Dredd Megazine itself.  

Was the title on the verge of cancellation at the time or something and get saved by its readers? Which inspired the story of J.D. Megson Block?

Just wondering.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Radbacker

I dont know anything from behind the scenes on this but IIRC think it was just ushering out the Old volume and bringing in the new one. Was it also the end of the Preacher reprints or the start of them?  man I've gotta go through me box's again.

CU Radabcker

TordelBack

It was a celebration of the Meg's improbable survival for almost 10 years - it was indeed the last of the hated (by me) Preacher reprints, and the last issue before the start of the Second Golden Age of the Meg, with the start of 'proper' reprint, in the shape of Journey into Hell.  As I recall the fun-but-not-wonderful Judge Child follow-up Dead Ringer also started the following issue.   Much as Prog 2000 (made it to 2000AD!) had reinvigorated the Prog, 'JD Megson' was a defiant 'we're still here' moment for the Megazine.

The Monarch

you know dead ringer would make a nice meg gn....

just saying

TordelBack

(checks Barney)  Nah, no Canon Fodder or Chris Weston in 'Dead Ringer'.  What have you done with the Monarch, imposter?

The Monarch