Main Menu

Rogue Trooper on Wii

Started by Steveenfield, 22 January, 2011, 09:27:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steveenfield

Recently got Rogue Trooper on the Wii. There's a lot to enjoy, but the Hover Train level seems hellishly difficult (and I'm playing on easy!).

I wondered if I was missing something so I looked for a walkthrough on YouTube and found one recorded on a PC (I think).

Anyhow, the flak cannon whizzed about as fast as you like on the YouTube version, but on the Wii it creeps about at a snail's pace. It makes it very difficult to use. Anyone else had this problem?

(PS. If you're looking for a fantastic Wii shooter get Resident Evil 4. Can't praise it enough.)

Mardroid

Quote from: Steveenfield on 22 January, 2011, 09:27:00 PM
Recently got Rogue Trooper on the Wii. There's a lot to enjoy, but the Hover Train level seems hellishly difficult (and I'm playing on easy!).

I never got past that on the PS2. After playing the game almost nonstop for games, I ended up giving up after that (trying umpteen times). I really dislike levels where time is a factor.

Actually maybe I should break it out and have another go soon...

I might start again from the beginning. It's been quite a while...

WhizzBang

I completed it on the XBox and thought it was great. I don't recall having any particular difficulty on any of it other than the end where you have a boss fight against the Traitor General.

I also have the Wii version but haven't got around to playing it properly yet.

Steveenfield

Typically, a couple of hours after I posted, I did manage to beat the damned thing. Watching the YouTube walkthrough made me realise that the three hoppers you meet coming out of the tunnel are the last enemies you have to beat, so that encouraged me to go on.

Basically I kept replaying the level from the beginning until I'd managed to get through the tunnel section with around three fifth's of my train's health intact. Then I tried to avoid as much damage as possible from the wave of sun gliders that comes down. After they go, the three hoppers turn up. I find it impossible to knock them all down with the flak cannon, so I unhitched myself and took out one with a Sammy (which I find really annoying to use), then got back on the flak cannon to take out another when the remaining two hoppers zipped along to the head of the train. Then, when the last hopper came back again, I unhitched and emptied standard rifle ammo into it. When the hoppers are close the rifle seems to be more effective than the cannon.

If you listen, Gunnar actually suggests using the rifle when the hoppers arrive, but one of the others argues for using the train's weapons.

Anyhow, it took a while but after restarting around half-a-dozen times from the last checkpoint I finally, finally got through.

This was an irritating level for me. I was playing on Easy and this seemed a lot harder than it should have been.

Hoagy

"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Tiplodocus

I got a handy nine year old kid to complete that level for me. "You've just got to lead them," he said.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Art

That kid would have been deadly at Stalingrad.

DrRocka

I've got this and completed it on PS2, but I recently bought a Wii. Is it worth buying again? Are there any significant differences? I remember really being pleasantly surprised and enjoying it the first time around, especially after Dredd vs Death on the Gamecube.
Which, actually, I also kind of enjoyed, at the time. Haven't touched it since completion, though.
Never ever bloody anything ever

Buttonman

I bought Dredd and Rogue for the Wii to take me away from getting beaten at tennis.

Dredd is fine as you can use a controller but I found Rogue practically impossible to control using the remote and nunchuk. Will give it another go but for now I'm enjoying Dredd Vs Death - I'm sure it was easier on the PS2.

DrRocka

Yeah, I found that with Goldeneye on the Wii, to be honest - it was WAYYY more fun just using a Gamecube controller with it than the remote and nunchuck in any combination. Might pop Dredd in tomorrow night after work and see how it holds up these days.
Never ever bloody anything ever

Keef Monkey

I picked it up on the wii because the PS2's been relegated to the cupboard of doom, but the controls on the wii make for a less enjoyable game I reckon. It's nice to have the game on a 'current' console so you can pop it on now and then, but it definitely worked better on the pad I thought.

My main problem with it is the same as with a lot of wii games, anything where you have to turn by 'pushing' the edges of the screen just doesn't work for me and seems really imprecise. Still, very impressed with the Rogue game in general, Rebellion did a great job on that.

gurnard

I played this on the PS2 and it took me ages to get through the train section also.

Recently bought a Wii and got one of those gun things where it holds the remote and the nun chuck.  Has anyone played Rogue with one of these guns?  Is it better, less annoying than using the remote freely?

Tiplodocus

Probably just me then but I really love the Wii controls on GOLDENEYE - haven't had a problem with them in the slightest. I actually like that whole point where you want to look and shoot aspect of it. Seems utterly natural.  Definitely not had any problems with it (and I've just about finished the game).

I don't recall having problems on ROGUE either apart from a tendency to get stuck to scenery I was crouching behind.

And they work absolutely perfectly for me on Resident Evil 4; a great template (if speeded up a tad) for all third person games.

As for the Wii Zapper, we have one but barely ever use it. There are only a couple  of games that it is actually optimised for and as soon as you get in to button clicks for reloading of for changing weapons (i.e. most shooters) it becomes something of a liablity.  But it was worth buying because of the huge fun of LINK'S CROSSBOW TRAINING.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Bat King

I had difficulty on the very same level...  It was the toughest by far from my point of view.

I thought the game was brilliant and the Wii controlers gave me no hassle.  I loved throwing grenades.

All in all it is a good storyline.  Loyal as a game that length can be to the source material.  Shame there was no multiplayer playability for the missions.  Online multiplayer version of this would be great.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex