Main Menu

Boardwalk Empire

Started by Definitely Not Mister Pops, 02 February, 2011, 08:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Has anyone been watching this? I've only seen the first two episodes, and it's bloody great. Scorcese shoots it gorgeously, it looks like a moving Norman Rockwell painting. The pacing is spot on, and although Steve Buscemi gets head billing, there's a whole ensemble of interesting characters, and so far, there haven't been any weak links in the cast (although Kelly Macdonalds Irish accent slips a wee bit some times)
You may quote me on that.

Zarjazzer

Don't have SKy but must admit am quite intrigued.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Batman's Superior Cousin

Episode Three is on this Saturday
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Buttonman

I've seen it all (was in the US at the time, natch) and would highly recommend it to fans of violence and naked ladies. Kelly McDonald lets the side down with an obvious body double but the rest give their all for their art. And it's got Omar off 'The Wire' too.

Favourite character is the troubled FBI agent who struggles to take down Knucky and his own corrupt department.

Professor Bear

Good show.  Mentioned over on the other thread how I dislike the gangster genre as it glorifies criminality rather than charts its destruction, but Boardwalk Empire is basically a show about crime biting gangsters in the ass all the time, and full of flawed characters who are either capable of decency, or so monstrous that the spark of humanity in others compels them to act towards those monsters' destruction by any means.

Well worth checking out.

mogzilla

just caught the first one enjoyed it a lot buscemi shines as usual.

I, Cosh

Watched the first one and it didn't really grab me. Might give it another try when the er.. box set comes out.
We never really die.

BPP

its beautiful, its majestic, its wonderfully acted... etc etc etc.. Yet.. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING HAPPENS. The position of the characters at the end of Season One is absolutely the same as it was by the end of the establishing Ep01-02. And there is out of nowhere and sudden 'axis of evil' that will be be the plot for S02 but literally it is pulled out of thin air unconvincingly at the last moment.

Go watch Generation Kill with your 9 hours instead.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd