Main Menu

Shooting completed for Judge Dredd

Started by Mike Carroll, 21 February, 2011, 05:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared Katooie

Personally I'd happily watch a film with a wholly unsympathetic lead character. All I care about is: "is the story any good?"

JOE SOAP

That's why there are films like Valkyrie and Cross of Iron.

Dirty Sanchez

Misanthrope

Escape from New York always springs to mind when I think of 'anti-heroes' in movies.
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Misanthrope on 06 June, 2011, 11:58:22 PM
Escape from New York always springs to mind when I think of 'anti-heroes' in movies.

'Everyone loves a bastard' should be a sub-heading beneath the Hollywood sign.

weehawk

Quote from: Misanthrope on 06 June, 2011, 11:58:22 PM

...and that one is a film that I wouldn't be surprised if it was used as a model for "Dredd" in some way.

Oh, as for "unsympathetic heroes", there's also Judge Dredd's other originator; Frankenstein from "Death Race 2000". ;)

Dudley

Quote from: Jared Katooie on 06 June, 2011, 08:29:18 PM
Personally I'd happily watch a film with a wholly unsympathetic lead character. All I care about is: "is the story any good?"

The Social Network did quite well, and not only does it not have a single likeable character, it lacks anyone charismatic enough to earn the soubriquet of "antihero."

LARF

Dudley!

WTF have you been? You still in Cyprus?

:-)

Woolly

I wont believe its Dudley til i see the picture of Judge Mellie...  ;)

(welcome back, btw  :thumbsup:)

johnnystress

Dudley...dudley..something vaguely familiar about that name

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Dudley on 07 June, 2011, 11:07:38 AM

The Social Network did quite well, and not only does it not have a single likeable character, it lacks anyone charismatic enough to earn the soubriquet of "antihero."

Mark Zuckerberg is just a dislikeable in real life and if anything the film made him more likeable.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Misanthrope

QuoteMark Zuckerberg is just a dislikeable in real life and if anything the film made him more likeable.

Have you met him then, Pete?
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 07 June, 2011, 10:05:13 PM
Quote from: Dudley on 07 June, 2011, 11:07:38 AM

Mark Zuckerberg is just a dislikeable in real life and if anything the film made him more likeable.

..and this example again proves my earlier point, you can have a film with completely unsympathetic characters yet still have empathy for them and be a succesful film. Considering that the more despicable, yet charming, character in the film is Sean Parker -napster man- Zuckerberg in contrast is at least empathetic and a story is told, the 'likeable' character is secondary. No reason this can't work in Dredd, if it's even needed.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Misanthrope on 07 June, 2011, 10:11:37 PM
QuoteMark Zuckerberg is just a dislikeable in real life and if anything the film made him more likeable.

Have you met him then, Pete?

No i havent met him but i have watched and read interviews.

He is most famous for calling anyone that trusts Facebook with their personal information a "Dumbfucks".
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Dudley

Quote from: LARF on 07 June, 2011, 12:34:11 PM
Dudley!

WTF have you been? You still in Cyprus?

:-)

Hiya -

Yep, still in Cyprus, still teaching, mostly on the Guardian discussion boards these days.  What's happened here in the past couple of years? What'd I miss?