Previous topic - Next topic

WHICH TYPE OF COMIC ART DO YOU PREFER

"CARTOONY"
10 (58.8%)
"REALISTIC"
7 (41.2%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Roger Godpleton

I appreciate how some people may be upset by such terms, hence the SSCCAARREE QQUUOOTTEESS.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

JamesC

I would have gone with 'suitable' but it wasn't an option. Cartoony is great as long as the story suits it.

CrazyFoxMachine

...there's only two types of comic art?

Blimey. That narrows my options.

Dunk!

I take "cartoony" to mean McMahon, McCarthy, Ewins, Flint and D'sraeli etc, as well as obviously cartoony folks like Darwyn Cooke - a personal favorite.

I feel JamesC got it with "suitable" though.
"Trust we"

Mardroid

I like both, so I guess I can't really vote.

I suppose most of the time in a comic like 2000 AD I prefer semi-realistic, (I say 'semi' as a bit of exaggeration is welcome) but the odd cartoonier strip is great. If I were to become an artist, I think my style would be more toony. (Partly because I find realistic art difficult to draw. Not that I'm suggesting 'toony' artists have less talent. Far from it.)

clavell

Hi.

For me it depends on the story. Gritty urban thrillers have to be realistic, but light-hearted space comedies can get away with cartoony.

Quote from: M.I.K. on 07 March, 2011, 07:42:46 PM
It's a draw.

HA !

- C
Writing Future Shocks is hard !

SmallBlueThing

I dunno, my alltime favourites would probably be ezquerra, slaine-era mcmahon, bill watterson, milo manara, joe colquhoun, the john romitas and gene colan... So there's a bit of everything in there. Whatever suits the strip, i guess. Unless it's manara; he could draw anything and i'd be happy. His calvin & hobbes id love to see. Similarly Watterson's Dredd.
SBT

Art

Scott McCloud has some interesting things to say about varying styles of comics art:

http://www.scottmccloud.com/4-inventions/triangle/index.html

Spaceghost

If I didn't know any better I would suspect, Roger, that you have purposefully asked a meaningless question simply to mess with our minds.

There can't be a preference for one or the other can there? The style has to suit the story. Can you imagine Dennis the Menace drawn in gritty Henry Flint style or Dredd drawn by Leo Baxendale?

Actually, they'd both be fucken awesome.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

I, Cosh

Cartoony isn't the opposite of realistic.
We never really die.

vzzbux

Another poll I cannot vote on as you can have realism in in cartoon.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Ignatzmonster

I'm interpreting this as one of the dichotomies I see running through tooth. I call it the Cursed Earth Dichotomy. It seems to me that most art droids fall into one of two camps: the McMahon camp and the Bolland camp. My preference is with the McMahon sort.

Daveycandlish

Oh I'd love to see a Baxendale Dredd! And let's have Ken Reid on Strontium Dog!

And for the record - whatever art suits the story would be my choice, but that ain't an option
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Brigantian

Voted for realistic but I enjoy both. Damn you for making me choose! Can I vote again ?  :lol: