Main Menu

April Script Writing Frenzy

Started by strontium_dog_90, 10 March, 2011, 05:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strontium_dog_90

For anyone out there who took part in the National Novel Writing Competition last year, just had an e-mail saying that there's one coming up in April for script writers of any kind, including comic writers. More details here http://www.scriptfrenzy.org/ - looks fun!

Emperor

if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Van Dom

Intriguing and certainly a good motivator but....100 pages of script?! In one month! That puts me out I'm afraid as my free time for writing is next to non-existant and mostly amounts to half an hour in McDonalds before work every morning!

Best of luck to all who take part though - give it socks!
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

Emperor

Here is my profile page there:

http://www.scriptfrenzy.org/eng/user/801602

I've been listing script I want to write and should come close to 100. Of course, this would be easier if you were writing a 5-issue limited series as you'd have all the characters and ideas lined up. The tricky bit is getting all the ideas in place, so you aren't starting from a blank page. This might be cheating but if you are having to write just this side of a dozen scripts I think it is allowable if you have got all your balls in a row.

I have a lot of scripts done and being worked on now. If I can box off these 100 pages then I'll have 2011 and a good part of 2012 boxed off (in some cases through to the end of 2012), which is a real incentive as it'll free up a lot of time for other projects.

So the next week or so will be me boxing off my reading and research so I am primed and ready to roll. It might go wrong but we'll see.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Emperor

Well I didn't do a good job of that last time. However, I think this April might be different. I've started getting all my projects up to speed and being able to blast out a solid slab of pages would be a big help to move everything forward.

Colin YNWA

I did NaNoWriMo last November and its a bloody great way to get you off ya arse and get you writing. I'm a little tied up editing the 'Book' I wrote in that to commit time to this but I honesty can't recommend the process enough.

If your not ready for this NaNoWriMo in November is an absolute blast and I'll be back this November for that.

http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/dashboard

Van Dom

Hmmmm....just did a quick tot up there and immediately I can account for 52 pages of script I need to write, which is pretty much already mapped out. So that's halfway there! This would be a great help to me for getting on top of things  - and even ahead of myself a bit. Thing is can I fit it in around Japanese studying, job hunting, english teaching activities.....I might have a crack at it, even if you dont make the full 100 pages it still might help me get more produced than I otherwise might.
Yeah, I think I'll sign up - are you on Emperor? Maybe if we submit daily reports of our progress, one will motivate the other to keep going! Anybody else?
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

Emperor

Quote from: Van Dom on 26 March, 2012, 12:58:58 AM
Hmmmm....just did a quick tot up there and immediately I can account for 52 pages of script I need to write, which is pretty much already mapped out. So that's halfway there!

The pain is that under a British comics approach 100 pages could be twenty 5-page stories!! Luckily I have a 20 page script to do and 3 ten pagers, plus three linked 6 pagers, so that'd be a good slice of the 100. I'm also not sure what you'd count, as there is a rough first draft, a more solid draft and a formatted, ready-to-submit version but I'm not going to worry too much about that - it isn't a competition to get the most number of pages done, it is about getting those pages done for me.

Quote from: Van Dom on 26 March, 2012, 12:58:58 AMYeah, I think I'll sign up - are you on Emperor? Maybe if we submit daily reports of our progress, one will motivate the other to keep going! Anybody else?

You're on.

My profile there:

www.scriptfrenzy.org/eng/user/801602

strontium_dog_90

Forgot all about this - looking forward to giving it a go this year!

Luckily I have a scripts for projects that never quite came off, plus the obligatory original graphic novel script (we've all got one, right?) that could probably do with being looked at, so 100 pages should be easy enough to reach.  I'm on http://www.scriptfrenzy.org/eng/user/750183 for anyone that's interested in buddying up and encouraging :-)

Van Dom

So its still early days on this but how are we doing? Is it just me, Emperor and Strontiumdog90 who were mad enough to sign up for this thing?

I've been going at it like a mad thing since day one, but almost a week into it I realise I haven't a hope in Hell of making 100 pages. Even 50 will be a struggle. I've spent the last week working on the scripts for all the stories in issue 3 of Vanguard and by the end of today I should have finished the last of them. That will be 20 pages of scripted material. Thing is, that's taken up every single minute of my free time so far, and it means my studying is suffering. I have a Japanese proficiency exam on July 1st, an 80hr online TEFL programme to finish within the next month, and I've also started giving English lessons to people, which requires planning, so...... yeah!

I'm gonna keep at it but from tomorrow on I'll have to start giving priority to the studying I'm afraid. At least it gave me a massive productivity boost all this week and I'm chuffed even have gotten this much done as a result. I've plenty more stuff to write, it just remains to be seen how far I get with it.

What are you others guys thinking?

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

strontium_dog_90

I've got a bunch of things written out in longhand that I just need to type up, but I'm currently trying to submit to a lot of prose anthologies, plus trying to get a few script submissions to various publications to make sense as well, so it's hard to find the time. But I'm thinking - hoping - a few days in the middle of the month might be able to sort it!

Agree with what you're saying, though, Van Dom - the creativity boost is always good, but I guess studying has to come first! Good luck to you with both projects!

Van Dom

Whoop-de-doo, 31 pages in the bag and halfway through the month. Nope, not gonna make it!

But I will get 50! I'll definitely get 50!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!