Main Menu

The Dark Knight Rises (2012)

Started by Goaty, 21 April, 2011, 10:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Can anyone explain to what the point of the Dr. Crane cameo was?
The guy was in there for litteraly two minuets, we don't even find out what happened to him.
Now I love Cillien Murphy as Scarecrow but his appearence just felt shoehorned and phoned in.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 25 July, 2012, 07:49:03 AM
The guy was in there for litteraly two minuets, we don't even find out what happened to him.
Now I love Cillien Murphy as Scarecrow but his appearence just felt shoehorned and phoned in.

Wha-? It was a cameo - that's why he was there for a couple of minutes. Otherwise it wouldn't be a cameo. And he was obviously [spoiler]one of the escapees from Blackgate.[/spoiler]

Hawkmumbler

Yeah I get that (and you can have a miunet long cameo) but it felt kinda phoney, like it didn't need to be there.

radiator

I thought it was one I the best bits in the film.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: radiator on 25 July, 2012, 10:13:48 AM
I thought it was one I the best bits in the film.
It's what I like to call and Apendix plot.
It's tucked away, content, and your perfectly fine having it there. But at the end of the day it accomplishes nothing. Saying that, I do like Scarecrow (My fave Batman villain) so any excuse I guess.

Steve Green

Saw it today - surprised to see the Odeon running screenings as early as 7:45am though.

Enjoyed it more than Batman Begins, not as much as TDK.

Bane's voice felt like it belonged in an animated series - somewhere between Brian Blessed and Professor Farnsworth.

Hathaway was great as Catwoman, and sequences with old and new toys were great, but it did feel like the suit weighed down any hand-to-hand more than before, or it was more noticeable.

One none-spoilery thing I noticed was the absence of muzzle flashes pretty much entirely in daylight sequences, I guess it's amped up for films usually but it's one of those things that did feel like something was missing...

Got tingles with the Dredd trailer though, even though I've seen it plenty of times by now.

judgeblake

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 25 July, 2012, 08:07:09 AM

Wha-? It was a cameo - that's why he was there for a couple of minutes. Otherwise it wouldn't be a cameo. And he was obviously [spoiler]one of the escapees from Blackgate.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I agree - it was nothing more than a cameo - he had clearly escaped from arkham asylum and got himself appointed 'judge' of the people of Gotham brought before him whom he condemned to death basically (death by exile, or death) I agree it was unneeded, but I also feel talia al ghul's presence in the plot, as well as Liam Neeson's cameo are unneeded - but they are all part of Nolan's need to round off his trilogy.[/spoiler]

hoops

Quote from: judgeblake on 25 July, 2012, 06:53:46 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 25 July, 2012, 08:07:09 AM

[spoiler]I agree - it was nothing more than a cameo - he had clearly escaped from arkham asylum and got himself appointed 'judge' of the people of Gotham brought before him whom he condemned to death basically (death by exile, or death) I agree it was unneeded, but I also feel talia al ghul's presence in the plot, as well as Liam Neeson's cameo are unneeded - but they are all part of Nolan's need to round off his trilogy.[/spoiler]

I think Nolan sacrificed having a decent plot just so he could tie everything up nicely.

MR. ELIMINATOR

I was pretty unimpressed with this one to be honest. Sure, it was OK, but can't really think of any part that I really liked.

Tiplodocus

Clan Tips really liked it.

I fell for one of the two twisty bits but figured out the other quite early on, loved the ending to bits and wasn't at all puzzled by Bane's motivation (zealot is as good a description as any, dangling hope before destroying). 

And most of the questions people have asked above, I thought the film actually answered (well, to me anyway).

It was twenty minutes too long though. But hey, aren't they all these days?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

hoops

Bruce Wayne: You still haven't given up on me?
Alfred Pennyworth: Never!

...well, until part three that is, when you really need me...[spoiler]and then i'll leave, and when you 'die'... i'll cry because i've let your father down.[/spoiler]

Because that's the faithful Alfred Pennyworth we all know and love.

::)

Richmond Clements

Quote from: hoops on 26 July, 2012, 08:45:15 AM

...well, until part three that is, when you really need me...[spoiler]and then i'll leave, and when you 'die'... i'll cry because i've let your father down.[/spoiler]

Alfred did what he had to do to get Bruce back in the game. He knew he was sacrificing his relationship by doing so, but his love for Bruce was such that he was prepared to take the fallout.
That, to me, is as faithful and loyal a friend as you could have.

JOE SOAP

He's not an automaton. I don't see anything wrong with characters developing or doing things 'out of character' in certain situations, lfe tends to be like that too. They even do it in comics y'know.

hoops

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 26 July, 2012, 08:59:12 AM

Alfred did what he had to do to get Bruce back in the game. He knew he was sacrificing his relationship by doing so, but his love for Bruce was such that he was prepared to take the fallout.
That, to me, is as faithful and loyal a friend as you could have.
Interesting...so he deserted Bruce to allow Bruce to get back into the game...not because he felt Bruce had reached certain limitations and wasn't prpared to watch him fail, as he suspected Bruce wished to do?

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 26 July, 2012, 09:05:10 AM

He's not an automaton. I don't see anything wrong with characters developing or doing things 'out of character' in certain situations, lfe tends to be like that too. They even do it in comics y'know.

Not an automaton...certainly, that's why i said 'faithful' instead of 'faithful & phlegmatic', which would reflect what Alfred is like in the comics. So, anyway, that's development then?
I see....that does kind of make sense...and i can see the same kind of character development is found in Lucius deciding to allow the Wayne money to disappear over eight years without even taking the time to visit Bruce or Alfred in person...what can i say, irrelevant of comics that does indeed make sense within the framework of the trilogy.

Richmond Clements

Quotethe same kind of character development is found in Lucius deciding to allow the Wayne money to disappear over eight years without even taking the time to visit Bruce or Alfred in person

Does it say he never visited? I can't recall...
Also, he's only one of a board of directors. The board was[spoiler] being manipulated by [/spoiler] old fella-my-lad (can't remember his name) who was [spoiler]in cahoots with Bane[/spoiler].