Main Menu

The Dark Knight Rises (2012)

Started by Goaty, 21 April, 2011, 10:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

I don't really mind Batman's voice too much - yeah it's a little over the top, but I always got the impression that he has some sort of voice diguiser/distorter built in to the suit that also acts to intimidate people - which also explains why he still does the voice when no one else is around.

judgeblake

actually, I thought Batman's voice didnt sound as weird as usual in TDKR...but Bane's voice just sound overly dubbed and manipulated.

Charlie boy

I was really disappointed by DKR. There's sloppy editing which you don't expect from a Nolan film, some major plot-holes that would have surely prevented the big ending and I don't get how Bane's voice was such a chore to understand in many scenes despite how it had been worked on for a second time in editing. Seeing as the rule with Dark Knight was Joker had to live, I'm guessing the story for this finale would have been entirely different if not for the truly unfortunate circumstances of Ledger's premature death.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Charlie boy on 26 July, 2012, 01:41:10 PM
Seeing as the rule with Dark Knight was Joker had to live, I'm guessing the story for this finale would have been entirely different if not for the truly unfortunate circumstances of Ledger's premature death.
I also guessed that.

GordyM

Quote from: judgeblake on 26 July, 2012, 01:36:07 PM
actually, I thought Batman's voice didnt sound as weird as usual in TDKR...but Bane's voice just sound overly dubbed and manipulated.

Yeah, turning it into more of a voice over was such a dumb idea.
Check out my new comic Supermom: Expecting Trouble and see how a pregnant superhero tries to deal with the fact that the baby's father is her archnemesis. Free preview pack including 12 pages of art: http://www.mediafire.com/file/57986rnlgk0itfz/Supermom_Preview_Pack.pdf/file

Professor Bear

So the finale hinged on the fact that [spoiler]some days you just can't get rid of a bomb[/spoiler]?  I am actually cool with that, just as I am cool with the movie doing something genuinely groundbreaking with the character in[spoiler] giving Bruce Wayne a happy ending after Batman[/spoiler], as even the bright and obnoxious Brave and the Bold didn't go that far.  There are some problems with logic:[spoiler] the precise timescale for a nuclear meltdown/detonation, every copper going underground to rescue them capitalists (who, then, is directing traffic, guarding the mayor, manning police stations, or - and I realise this may be a bit much of an ask of a Gotham cop - dealing with crime?), Batman being paralysed and then getting better just because (see also: the limp), and I am pretty sure you don't need an autopilot to fly in a straight line as much as you need maybe a boot to hold the accelerator down and a length of string for the steering wheel but it still sucks to be you if you're on a fishing boat that day or live on a beach and haven't made tsunami plans, I wonder why people think Batman is dead if they have his bat-spaceship at the end to check the computer for reprogramming, and I wonder why Alfred and Bruce don't speak to each other at the end given they're about three feet apart and if anyone is watching one or the other it's not like either is in disguise or anything.  It just looks like Bruce is being a cock to an elderly man who told him so.[/spoiler]

All in all, though, I enjoyed it.  Not as good as Dark Knight, but better than Batman Begins.

Frank

Quote from: Professah Byah on 26 July, 2012, 05:24:45 PM
So the finale hinged on the fact that [spoiler]some days you just can't get rid of a bomb[/spoiler]?

SPOILER

hoops

So the finale hinged on the fact that [spoiler]some days you just can't get rid of a bomb[/spoiler]?

:lol: Well spotted! It is, isn't it!

Tiplodocus

I may be mistaken but the "You haven't given up on me, Alfred?" "Never" exchange was before Bruce Wayne became Batman.

So Alfred [spoiler]walking out on him when he continues to punish himself by being the Batman (he even says as much that he wished he'd not come back and made himself happy)[/spoiler] made perfect sense to me.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

And curse my feeble memory but I didn't think Bats actually [spoiler]deliberately killed anybody at the end - he just took a drastic action to stop the truck that unfortunately caused massive fatal injuries. He did as much at the end of Batman Begins.[/spoiler]

So I thought his behaviour was consistent within the films - just not entirely with the comic character. But if you liked BATMAN BEGINS then you've already accepted that he's not the BATMAN from the comics. He's not a self made man and needed Rhas Al Ghul to show him the path. That's not Batman. But perfectly fine for the story they told in the films.

judgeblake

Quote from: GordyM on 26 July, 2012, 03:41:42 PM
Quote from: judgeblake on 26 July, 2012, 01:36:07 PM

Yeah, turning it into more of a voice over was such a dumb idea.

well I found it ironic people complained about batman's voice in the previous movies and in TDKR it's Bane's we're complaining about and Batman's was mixed quite well lol
maybe nolan measures the level of how 'otherworldly' and resonant the overdubbed voice is by the power of the character?

So the finale hinged on the fact that [spoiler]some days you just can't get rid of a bomb[/spoiler]?  I am actually cool with that, just as I am cool with the movie doing something genuinely groundbreaking with the character in[spoiler] giving Bruce Wayne a happy ending after Batman[/spoiler], as even the bright and obnoxious Brave and the Bold didn't go that far.  There are some problems with logic:[spoiler] the precise timescale for a nuclear meltdown/detonation, every copper going underground to rescue them capitalists (who, then, is directing traffic, guarding the mayor, manning police stations, or - and I realise this may be a bit much of an ask of a Gotham cop - dealing with crime?), Batman being paralysed and then getting better just because (see also: the limp), and I am pretty sure you don't need an autopilot to fly in a straight line as much as you need maybe a boot to hold the accelerator down and a length of string for the steering wheel but it still sucks to be you if you're on a fishing boat that day or live on a beach and haven't made tsunami plans, I wonder why people think Batman is dead if they have his bat-spaceship at the end to check the computer for reprogramming, and I wonder why Alfred and Bruce don't speak to each other at the end given they're about three feet apart and if anyone is watching one or the other it's not like either is in disguise or anything.  It just looks like Bruce is being a cock to an elderly man who told him so.[/spoiler]

All in all, though, I enjoyed it.  Not as good as Dark Knight, but better than Batman Begins.

A friend of mine said they thought TDKR was the most 'comic book' out of all the movies...but I disagreed and said that the aesthetics for The Dark Knight just seemed more colourful and neon tinted. However - although I still think I'm right - TDKR definately seems more comic book orientated in it's script -
when I say 'more comic book' - I mean, more like the Avengers say, rather than a gritty adaptation/interpretation. For instance; [spoiler]what may have been a homage to the old 60s batman series with batman finding it hard to get rid of a bomb, robin making a disguised appearance, the characters suffering grievous injuries but repairing and healing quickly, Cmmsioner Gordon in a rolling vehicle with a large bomb getting out unscathed etc etc[/spoiler] 

Tiplodocus

Oh and all of clan Tips understood everything Bane said. IMAX speakers = very good.

judgeblake

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 26 July, 2012, 07:36:18 PM
Oh and all of clan Tips understood everything Bane said. IMAX speakers = very good.

there's only a few lines of dialogue I couldn't quite hear in the film, maybe one from Bane and a couple from Batman apart from that - Bane's dialogue was clear enough - overly boomy even - seemed to be fed through a guitar pedal lol I would have loved more dialogue from Bane - more opportunities to key into his thinking and motivation. Some have criticised Bane for being like a Bond villian - I would have liked more lines that are atypical of a Bond villian and more or a character portrait no matter how caricature or comic book.

radiator

QuoteA friend of mine said they thought TDKR was the most 'comic book' out of all the movies...but I disagreed and said that the aesthetics for The Dark Knight just seemed more colourful and neon tinted. However - although I still think I'm right - TDKR definately seems more comic book orientated in it's script -

Batman Begins is the most 'comicy' looking one - the Gotham of BB is quite stylised, more futuristic, vaguely gothic - presumably because it was at the time a soft reboot of the Burton/Schumacher franchise so Nolan wasn't able to make such a wild visual departure from what had gone before. Begins is certainly the only one of the Nolan films that feels like parts of it were shot on a sound stage.

The Dark Knight is shot in a very un-comic book style - it looks more like a Michael Mann film than a superhero one.

In terms of script, story and tone, Rises is the most like the comics, it seems to give up the veneer of realism of the previous two movies - with mixed results imo.

Adrian Bamforth

I've rarely liked superhero movies, the exceptions being the Superman and X Men films, and the more 'believable' they become for me just betrays their fantasy roots, exposes the hokum of the original idea, and and results in urban crime thrillers with a couple of the characters in fancy dress (I'm not interested in crime dramas).

Is it just me or is Dark Knight Rises a convoluted but stylised way of having[spoiler] a villain with a disability hijack an enormous bomb with which to kill a large number of people for fun, to be foiled and killed by the hero with gadgets seconds before to bomb goes off?[/spoiler]

It's a very successful attempt in making Batman realistic and believable (not sure why you would want to do that). It's certainly a film for fans of the first two parts. Apparently it's a very intelligent film. For me it was just complex.

However, for me the problem with his filmmaking, and other recent films such as Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, is the way that, as the story takes precidence, they play like a 3 hour montage, with no scene really beginning or ending, and with continuous looming but unmelodic mood music.

Credit should be given to the effects though, especially, I suspect, the model shots, as I couldn't identify a single moment of CGI - by usual bugbear?