Main Menu

Can anyone offer any Wordpress/blogging tips?

Started by DrRocka, 02 June, 2011, 09:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrRocka

...basically, almost a year ago, some friends of mine set up a blog for me. I'd just stopped smoking at the time, so they thought it would good therapy to use it to post all my crazy thoughts and suchlike and would make for interesting reading.

Well, I've used it on and off over the year, and have recently been using it to put up my more serious writing. Previously, I've only posted my adventures in short episodes in the notes section of my Facebook and let them build up to tell a complete story.

So, now I'm using the Wordpress, does anyone have any tips to make it more accessible and open to others? I gather quite a few forum members have their own blogs. Am I right in thinking I can link mine to others? How do I do that? Do I need a little counter thingy that show how many folk have visited it? And is there a thingy where it'll show if I've posted on my blog on my Facebook feed?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm a bit of a technophobe when it comes to such matters.

You can have a look at it here:

http://seankeefe.co.uk

...any thoughts or tips would be REALLY welcome!
Never ever bloody anything ever

bluemeanie

I use wordpress and its pretty straightforward for basic stuff.

From memory there was a widget (wordpress term for "thing wot you can tag up on your page" ) if you wanted a visible counter for people who come to your site. Otherwise though if you go in the dashboard it shows you hits per day and totals etc.

Not too sure about facebook stuff but think most browsers (firefox definately) have a "share on facebook" button you can add so you can manually post links to pages on your facebook.

Linking to other sites... well you can put up links on yours TO other sites. If you want someone elses to link to yours you have to ask them nicely

Probably just confused you more. Lots of online help though

DrRocka

Cheers BM!

I think I'm just a bit overwhelmed with all the help sites on the web - a case of too much information and trying to pick my way through 'em.

I reckon I'll deal with it the time honoured tradition, by fiddling with bits until it looks good. Or is broken.
Never ever bloody anything ever

Paul faplad Finch

I'm a total technophobe myself but I've managed to add various bits and pieces to mine, including "a little counter thingy" without doing any permanent damage so it must be fairly idiot proof. (Although I did ask for help on here a couple of times) 

Sadly I use blogger, so can be of no help at all to you. Er, so, sorry.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

John Caliber

I created a Wordpress account but couldn't figure out how to set the blog up, or when I wrote posts, they didn't appear on the main page. It can't be hard and I've mastered loads of far more complex programs, but it didn't click. I don't have any use for social networking and don't have a mobile phone, so don't understand a lot of modern techno jargon - would that have made Wordpress harder to grasp?
Author of CITY OF DREDD and WORLDS OF DREDD. https://www.facebook.com/groups/300109720054510/