Main Menu

Overload, a new British comics anthology

Started by Emperor, 16 June, 2011, 07:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emperor

This sounds promising and it has got a good collection of creators involved. It also chimes with what I've said before about there being an opening for a creator-owned anthology:

QuoteIf you're at the Glasgow ComicCon this Saturday, then look out for copies of Martin Conaghan's new title, Overload, which comes wrapped in this ace cover by Roy Stewart.

All work in the title is creator-owned, with Overload reserving some reprint and digital rights.

"I started up my own company, The Copydesk Ltd, a few months ago with a view to publishing some of my own projects," Martin says of the project "and I'm starting with a US-format black and white anthology title called Overload. It'll be short run stuff, but will hopefully build.

"I'm planning for it to be semi-regular, perhaps quarterly at first and I'm aiming to crowdsource some of the money to cover costs etc.

"I've started gathering a roster of names for issue #1," he reveals, which I'm aiming to have done by October (in time for the Leeds' Thought Bubble convention) and then I'll work on a schedule from there.

"So far, I've recruited Gordon Rennie, James Peaty, Vito Delsante, Cy Dethan, Matt Gibbs and Martin Hayes (plus me) for issue #1. It's a good blend of established, semi-established and up-coming writers. For now, it's invite-only, so I'm being careful about how I source contributors."

http://downthetubescomics.blogspot.com/2011/06/overload-yourself-at-glasgow-comic-con.html
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Emperor

#1 will have a GNR cover for a story by Gordon Rennie:

www.bleedingcool.com/2012/05/16/margaret-thatcher-brain-snatcher-at-kapow-this-weekend/

Looks well worth a dabble.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

GordonR

Quote from: Emperor on 16 May, 2012, 08:33:37 PM

www.bleedingcool.com/2012/05/16/margaret-thatcher-brain-snatcher-at-kapow-this-weekend/

...co-written with my Big Finish co-writer Emma Beeby, with whom I've currently got something new in the works for 2000AD.

- Gordon (Not Dead, Yet)

Emperor

Quote from: GordonR on 17 May, 2012, 01:29:46 PM
Quote from: Emperor on 16 May, 2012, 08:33:37 PM

...co-written with my Big Finish co-writer Emma Beeby, with whom I've currently got something new in the works for 2000AD.

Excellent news.

I should also add that, as well as the droid talent I highlighted, the anthology contains a lot more stories by a whole host of talented folks:

QuoteOther strips include Comfort by Dave Cook and Gary Crutchely, Staring Into The Eye Of A Blackbird, You Can See The Things He Likes And The Things He Doesn't by Martin Hayes and Graeme Howard, Omen by Geoffrey D. Wessel and Steve Penfold, 'Open Source by Cy Dethan and Aaron Moran, and Otherworld Sailor by Matt Gibbs and James Reekie

Well worth picking up.

They are also doing portfolio reviews at Kapow:

QuoteOverload is also looking for contributors – you can bring along your portfolio or story ideas to table 34 on Saturday 19 May at Kapow at 1300BST and on Sunday 20 May at 1300BST.

www.copydesk.co.uk/overload1

gdwessel

I do hope some of you bought this, I do/did have one in there and all...