Main Menu

Mick McMahon starts blogging

Started by Emperor, 18 June, 2011, 02:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

How much does he charge for these again?

Need some art for my walls and sorely tempted...

blackmocco

Depends on what you're after. The simple one character ones are affordable enough.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

IndigoPrime

I wish he'd been the 'filler' artist on Strontium Dog and Sam Slade. And everything else, apparently.

I, Cosh

Let me know when you figure out what cover Mick's talking about here...
Quote from: MickI wasn't happy with this picture while I was making it and time has not healed the wound.

I will admit to liking the general composition and the drawing/colouring of the dinosaur (apart from the teeth), but everything else just went to pot.

It was commissioned in the early eighties as a cover for the dummy first issue of a magazine which was to be called Zarjaz (what else?), but, as far as I know, the project didn't get much further – hardly surprising, with this aberration stinking the place up.
We never really die.

Fungus

Quote from: The Cosh on 08 December, 2014, 03:59:04 PM
Let me know when you figure out what cover Mick's talking about here...
Quote from: MickI wasn't happy with this picture while I was making it and time has not healed the wound.

I will admit to liking the general composition and the drawing/colouring of the dinosaur (apart from the teeth), but everything else just went to pot.

It was commissioned in the early eighties as a cover for the dummy first issue of a magazine which was to be called Zarjaz (what else?), but, as far as I know, the project didn't get much further – hardly surprising, with this aberration stinking the place up.

Saw this the other day. Does make you wonder.....!

hippynumber1

The Titan cover for the First Slaine collection

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 08 December, 2014, 04:21:48 PM
The Titan cover for the First Slaine collection

Unbelievable! I could stare at that cover all fucking day... it's an incredible piece of art.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

hippynumber1

I agree! I told him off! And I wasn't alone. The single best painted Slaine image ever (imho)

Skullmo

It is a great piece. Artists can be so hard on themselves!
It's a joke. I was joking.

-Dunk!-

He is hard on himself - v-hard for someone I, as an observer, would see as having an illustrious career - but the insights he gives into what he likes or dislikes in an image are so informative.

He's till pushing himself and his art when others could be, consciously or unconsciously, coasting on past glories whilst producing the same standard work time and again.

Dunk!

Dark Jimbo

Mick's blog is my absolute favourite of any artist for that selfsame reason - his honesty is amazing, and as an artist myself it's comforting to know that Mick's works don't just spring perfect and fully-formed from his pen but emerge from the same tortorous process of self-doubt and dissapointment as any of us. If I'm ever really struggling I read his blog for a bit and remind myself that it's okay to have off-days sometimes.
@jamesfeistdraws

Fungus

It's a fantastic blog. Partly for his modestly, mostly for the jaw-dropping art.

blackmocco

Blasphemy to some, no doubt, but I went to town on my Mick commission...

"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Skullmo

I hope you used felt tips on the original and did not just go that on computer

:lol:
It's a joke. I was joking.