Main Menu

Urban Strike

Started by I, Cosh, 05 July, 2011, 11:40:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

HA HA HA HA! This is genius. I had no idea what to expect from this but it certainly wasn't such a deliriously over the top slice of lunacy. The way it takes random elements of the gameplay and makes no attempt whatsoever to try and make them part of a coherent storyline but just blows something up or has a gang of ninjas jump into the rotor blades instead.

Mick Austin never seems to get much love, but I'm quite partial to his Dredd and this is an infrequent opportunity for him to do something different.

I would really love to know what EA made of this: whether the tone was something they had any input in or if they just coughed up some cash and only saw the result when the Prog dropped through their letterbox.
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Cosh on 05 July, 2011, 11:40:42 PM
HA HA HA HA! This is genius. I had no idea what to expect from this but it certainly wasn't such a deliriously over the top slice of lunacy. The way it takes random elements of the gameplay and makes no attempt whatsoever to try and make them part of a coherent storyline but just blows something up or has a gang of ninjas jump into the rotor blades instead.

Mick Austin never seems to get much love, but I'm quite partial to his Dredd and this is an infrequent opportunity for him to do something different.

I would really love to know what EA made of this: whether the tone was something they had any input in or if they just coughed up some cash and only saw the result when the Prog dropped through their letterbox.

I remember thinking this was crazy fun when it first came out but skipping in in my re-read. I'm (at some point soonish) goign to catch up with a few stories I missed and this might be one of them.

Completely agreed about Mick Austen's art though. The fella was brilliant and doesn't get the credit he deserves to my mind.

Greg M.

In a really weird way, this feels a bit like the prototype for Sinister / Dexter. Not that the plots / premise are remotely similar, but if I recall, this strip is the source of 'funt' and a few other Sin / Dex terms, and it has the same kind of gleefully amoral, high octane madness of the early Sin / Dex stories (until Dan started trying to convince us of the moral necessity of gunsharks.)

EDIT: Except now that I check, it seems it wasn't co-written by Dan Abnett at all - I thought it was him and Steve White. Talking out of my arse then.

Rogue Reader

I just reread this and it was just as bad as I remembered it.
I still think this is the worst 'story' in the 22 years I have been reading it.
Ok it was ment to be a piss take but it was just not funny.
At best I hope everyone involved got payed lots and lots.

Jared Katooie

Quote from: Rogue Reader on 07 July, 2011, 10:25:14 PM
I still think this is the worst 'story' in the 22 years I have been reading it.

Well anything would begin to look bad after 22 years of non-stop reading.

Paul faplad Finch

This story ran very early in my reading of 2000ad and I have to say I loved it.  And this:

QuoteI would really love to know what EA made of this: whether the tone was something they had any input in or if they just coughed up some cash and only saw the result when the Prog dropped through their letterbox.

only really occurred to me later on but looking back you can see that they really were just extracting the urine with the brief. Which just makes you love it more, to be honest.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read