Main Menu

Need recommendation of teenage reading

Started by House of Usher, 13 July, 2011, 05:24:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IAMTHESYSTEM

Mostly Sci Fi related but here's some stuff.

Harry Harrison Stainless Steel Rat series are very good. James Bond meets Super Crook/Policemen Anti Hero the irony being that a secret Criminal/Spy Agency Police the Future society better than the corrupt, incompantent Authorities.

Asimov books and short stories are often very well written if a little misanthropic the Robots/Machines often being portryed as more reliable than humanity, something the cynical teenage mind could probably sympathize with.

The Pan horror book collections are for those with a strong nerves and stronger stomachs but might tempt the thrill of amorality gene that some enjoy and H.P Lovecraft Short stories are a must for alienated youth. 
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Paul faplad Finch

I'd be remiss if I didn't jump in here with a recommendation  for The Borribles.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

SmallBlueThing

And i'd have to pop in and mention Stephen King's 'Night Shift'. And, in fact, all his early works. It was the discovery of King at 14/15 that made me a book person for life. No other author does it for me like Maine's number one son.
SBT

House of Usher

More good suggestions. I can report that the kid returned from the library with four books by authors Ray Bradbury (Something Wicked This Way Comes), J.K. Rowling, Philip Pullman and Terry Pratchett (Wintersmith).

We'll see if he can read all four before school starts in September.
STRIKE !!!

worldshown

Don't know if you need any more suggestions, but as a young teen I used to enjoy the Willard Price "Adventure" novels.

They're probably well out of print by now though.

radiator

I've heard good things about The Hunger Games - movie adap is out next year, too.

vzzbux

Most teenage boys would love to read this.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Cactus

Quote from: House of Usher on 25 July, 2011, 12:40:53 AMRay Bradbury (Something Wicked This Way Comes)

I read that at a similar age and really enjoyed it.

vzzbux is right though, you can't go wrong with something dirty.  :o
I'm a tucker hot seat trucker and I'm voking cheerio, ten-ten!

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Has anyone mentioned Terry Pratchett yet?
You may quote me on that.

Cactus

I'm a tucker hot seat trucker and I'm voking cheerio, ten-ten!

A.Cow

Charlie Higson's Young Bond books are entertaining stuff, with enough gruesome deaths to satisfy the average teen lad.  The period setting is very educational too.

SpetsnaZ99

I read Fluke when i was a teenager and was amazed.

FLUKE The story of a dog who thinks he's a man... or a man who thinks he's a dog.
You ever notice that everyone who believes in creationism looks really unevolved? Eyes real close together, big furry hands and feet. "I believe God created me in one day." Yeah, looks like he rushed it.

Tiplodocus

I'd second LORD JIM.

Or THE PIRATES: IN AN ADVENTURE WITH...

DUNE was a good teen read for me and, brilliant though I think GARP is, I feel it'd be too strong for a teen. Plus, it's better when you've actually lived a little.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

House of Usher

I'm afraid that without the support of the parents (encouraging library borrowing, for example) it's a non-starter. Back to trudging grudgingly through the set GCSE texts for two of my students for whom reading will ever remain work, not a pleasure. I must try again with a third test subject.
STRIKE !!!