Main Menu

Prometheus

Started by Mardroid, 25 July, 2011, 12:34:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spikes

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 17 July, 2012, 06:20:40 PM
I think Prometheus' fire will dim quite a bit over the years. There's just not much meat there other than some nice visuals and the signal to noise ratio at the moment on forums discussing its philosophical and artistic 'weight' is tuned more to the crackling end of that band - it won't last.

Thats a sober analysis, Joe, and one i dont necessarily disagree with, but it could be equally stated that on the forums there is a considerable appetite for Prometheus still, suggesting it may have legs.

The film, or more to the point, the people behind the film, have certainly put a few noses out of joint, so its not suprising to see people channeling the restless spirit of Rock Hudson on here,  ;)

judgeblake

Quote from: darnmarr on 18 July, 2012, 02:29:41 AM
Quote from: HdE on 17 July, 2012, 11:58:26 PM
I brought this up WAAAAYYYY back in the thread - but do folks who enjoyed this movie REALLY have to be labelled as 'deluded'?

Is it not simply enough for some folks to have enjoyed the movie, and continue to enjoy it in spite of its problems?
'folks who enjoyed this movie' are 'folks who enjoyed this movie' : so them, no.( I wouldn't count myself among their number ,but 'different strokes': I also hate rhubarb) a theoretical future fan-base who claim that this film's  lack of  popularity  is the result of it's depth, ( or attribute genius to all of the  narrative mis-steps ), yes.
Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 18 July, 2012, 12:00:07 AM
STOP TALKING ABOUT PROMETHEUS
PROMETHEUS IS OVER
But the debate about Prometheus will never be over: it addresses fundamental questions about how and what a story should be (and maybe how much we, as consumers of this media, are prepared to put up with).

I agree with this

Quote from: hoops on 18 July, 2012, 09:18:28 AM
I brought this up WAAAAYYYY back in the thread - but do folks who enjoyed this movie REALLY have to be labelled as 'deluded'?

Is it not simply enough for some folks to have enjoyed the movie, and continue to enjoy it in spite of its problems?

Seems simple enough to me...i laugh at the film's faults but i still enjoyed it.
Some people just like to argue i guess.

I agree with this as well

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 18 July, 2012, 02:25:23 PM

The issue, I think, is people admitting, yes, it is rubbish but, y'know. It's good despite it being rubbish.

I don't think anything has to be that black and white e.g. I think the movie was disapointing but had good visuals, I think the direction was good but the script was terrible, I like Sylvester Stallone but Judge Dredd the movie wasn't great lol etc

Quote from: darnmarr on 18 July, 2012, 02:37:31 PM
I don't understand you Roger, why don't you just ignore conversations that dont interest you?
(also , I think you might have hit 'caps-lock' by accident )

lol PROMETHEUS IS OVER - SO SAYS CHIEF JUDGE CAL AND DEPUTY CHIEF JUDGE FISH 'BLOOP'

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: Judge Jack on 18 July, 2012, 06:30:02 PM
The film, or more to the point, the people behind the film, have certainly put a few noses out of joint, so its not suprising to see people channeling the restless spirit of Rock Hudson on here,  ;)

Even with the smiley, I'm not sure I get your point. People (here, at least) are criticizing PROMETHEARSE because it's a tale told badly, not because they didn't understand it.

Quote from: judgeblake on 18 July, 2012, 08:06:10 PM
Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 18 July, 2012, 02:25:23 PM

The issue, I think, is people admitting, yes, it is rubbish but, y'know. It's good despite it being rubbish.

I don't think anything has to be that black and white e.g. I think the movie was disapointing but had good visuals, I think the direction was good but the script was terrible . . .

Sci fi at its worst, then. As long as it looks good . . .
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

JOE SOAP

dweezil2

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 01 August, 2012, 09:32:03 PM
Looks like this thread will live on...

Fox Confirm Plans For A PROMETHEUS Sequel Set To Be Released In 2014 Or 2015

I'd be up for that.

There's a lot of criticism that Prometheus was bad sci-fi. But compared to most of the blockbuster sci-fi of late it's practically an existential masterpiece.
It may not of developed its ideas adequately, but at least it had some.
Most mainstream, blockbuster movies don't even bother with those.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

JOE SOAP

I think it's more the fact that it was putting itself above those schlocky films but ending up failing on both brains and entertainment that fires most of the criticism, which is a fair enough for a stupidly pretentious $200 million film.

dweezil2

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 01 August, 2012, 09:45:45 PM
I think it's more the fact that it was putting itself above those schlocky films but ending up failing on both brains and entertainment that fires most of the criticism, which is a fair enough for a stupidly pretentious $200 million film.

Well not by me. I never elevated it beyond entertaining Sci-Fi movie.
Which it succeeded in being, in my opinion.

If you're looking for flacid profundity and self importance I'd say TDKR was more guilty of that.

JOE SOAP

TDKR is undoubtedly better written and directed despite its obvious faults. Scott is not half the director Nolan is.

dweezil2

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 01 August, 2012, 10:04:37 PM
TDKR is undoubtedly better written and directed despite its obvious faults. Scott is not half the director Nolan is.

I can't agree with that, as much as I like a lot of Nolan's films.

Give him another 20 years in the business and he may be due a reappraisal.

JOE SOAP

The appraisal of Scott wasn't great at the start - more critical/audience misses than hits - it's not been great in recent years either. Nolan, whatever you or I think of him, hasn't made a bad film yet.

judgeblake

I think Scott is probably in full denial mode and Prometheus [spoiler]left no choice but to have a sequel really e.g. who the hell do they find in the original Alien? who actually was the spacejockey? a creator alien....but not from the events of Prometheus. [/spoiler]

Spikes

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 01 August, 2012, 09:32:03 PM
Looks like this thread will live on...

Fox Confirm Plans For A PROMETHEUS Sequel Set To Be Released In 2014 Or 2015

Im not suprised at that news, though 2014/15 is a ways off yet. If i was cynical,  i would say thatll be when we get the DVD extended cut for Prometheus,  ;)
Personally im keen to see a sequel, despite all of Prometheus' faults.
Damon Lindelof seems to have ruled himself out this time, and whether Scott is given the chance to return, well, we'll have to wait and see.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Judge Jack on 01 August, 2012, 10:29:07 PM

Im not suprised at that news, though 2014/15 is a ways off yet.

I am surprised, I'm not sure if it's broken-even. It cost over $180 million but has earned only $300 million - nearly half of which would be taken by theatres. Films usually need to take in at least 2.5 - 3 X budget to guarantee sequels.

judgeblake

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 01 August, 2012, 10:41:15 PM
Quote from: Judge Jack on 01 August, 2012, 10:29:07 PM

Im not suprised at that news, though 2014/15 is a ways off yet.

I am surprised, I'm not sure if it's broken-even. It cost over $180 million but has earned only $300 million - nearly half of which would be taken by theatres. Films usually need to take in at least 2.5 - 3 X budget to guarantee sequels.

Scott may get carte blanche becuase of his reputation maybe.

MR. ELIMINATOR

I hope this stays in development hell for eternity.