Main Menu

I don't like the shoulders on the new uniform at all.

Started by ABCwarBOT, 26 July, 2011, 09:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tharg4

The uniform is so radical it's bound to alienate some fans. I assume the producers were aware of that but thought it was worth the risk reinventing the look for a new film audience. Time will tell if they made the right call.

Two things I noticed - Urban's uniform tends to look one colour, blue. Perhaps it's the lighting but it doesn't appear to have the gold and green of 2000AD's Judge Dredd.

The other thing is the uniforms look very scratched and kinda dirty which goes with the grim and gritty vibe they're aiming for but it's not how I imagine Judges to look. I always got the impression Judges would have shiny uniforms and have a strong, perhaps obsessive, mind to maintain their appearance. Dredd always seems fussy about how Judges deport themselves. And I assume Justice Dept would have enough credits to hire someone to clean and polish the uniforms.  :D

IAMTHESYSTEM

It's very difficult for officianado's of the Comic strip to contemplate Judge Dredd any other way. The powerful image of Judges Uniform is in my humble opinion a British design classic, simple and easy to recognize. But I knew the famous Eagle and shoulder pads had to be re designed for an Urban PoliceMan/commando. [I almost made a pun there!] You'd keep getting hung up in stairwells if you wore Heavy Metal Dredds shoulder pads for a start!

The Judge Minty style ones look great but I think the Film makers decided to have a brand, new Dredd distinctive from the Comic strip origins. Rounding the shoulder Pads is a good design ploy. Look at Dredd's uniform. The round helmet is the main thing you tend to see concealing the face and good design often repeats similar or the same shapes so rounding the Shoulder Pads/Eagle is a clever move by the concept Artists. Not to everyones tastes but it's done.

God doesn't Lena Headey's MA MA character look a Bitch? Love that scar!
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Noisybast

Quote from: esoteric ed on 27 July, 2011, 12:41:38 AM
I went to a popular Chinese Buffet in Liverpool a few weeks ago, there was no Neapolitan ice cream, but there were tubs of Strawberry, Chocolate and Vanilla and I had a scoop of each together, is this acceptable?

Ed

Tso's?
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

TordelBack

Quote from: tharg4 on 27 July, 2011, 11:34:03 AMI always got the impression Judges would have shiny uniforms and have a strong, perhaps obsessive, mind to maintain their appearance. Dredd always seems fussy about how Judges deport themselves. And I assume Justice Dept would have enough credits to hire someone to clean and polish the uniforms.

There's some truth to this, outside of major crises and odysses anyway.  However, it seems (having not read the script) that the movie's Justice Dept is on the verge of being overwhelmed, as opposed to the almost Airstrip One setup we often see in the comic. 

Think of it in terms of Lidl Chocloate Chip, rather than Ben and Jerry's Phish Food.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: tharg4 on 27 July, 2011, 11:34:03 AMTwo things I noticed - Urban's uniform tends to look one colour, blue. Perhaps it's the lighting but it doesn't appear to have the gold and green of 2000AD's Judge Dredd.
The pads are dark green and the shoulder pads are off-gold, like the badge.

QuoteThe other thing is the uniforms look very scratched and kinda dirty which goes with the grim and gritty vibe they're aiming for but it's not how I imagine Judges to look. I always got the impression Judges would have shiny uniforms and have a strong, perhaps obsessive, mind to maintain their appearance. Dredd always seems fussy about how Judges deport themselves. And I assume Justice Dept would have enough credits to hire someone to clean and polish the uniforms.
Judging by what we've seen so far, this is a very different MC-1 to the comics. In 2000 AD, MC-1 has a lot of resources and the judges more or less keep things under control. In this film, it looks like a city on the brink, with the judges desperately trying to maintain order—more Mad Max than Fifth Element.

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 27 July, 2011, 11:40:44 AMThe Judge Minty style ones look great but I think the Film makers decided to have a brand, new Dredd distinctive from the Comic strip origins.
And, as others have noted, from the first film. Big shoulder pads are unwieldy, but they're also reminiscent of what people saw in 1995. This film has to look and feel different if it's to have any chance of success. (Of course, plenty of people liked the Stallone film, so this new one will alienate them; however, Judge Dredd performed in mediocre fashion at the box office, and so a new direction makes sense, not least when you consider the darker path most comic-book adaptations have gone down in recent years.)

Richmond Clements

Quote from: TordelBack on 27 July, 2011, 11:46:15 AM
Quote from: tharg4 on 27 July, 2011, 11:34:03 AMI always got the impression Judges would have shiny uniforms and have a strong, perhaps obsessive, mind to maintain their appearance. Dredd always seems fussy about how Judges deport themselves. And I assume Justice Dept would have enough credits to hire someone to clean and polish the uniforms.

There's some truth to this, outside of major crises and odysses anyway.  However, it seems (having not read the script) that the movie's Justice Dept is on the verge of being overwhelmed, as opposed to the almost Airstrip One setup we often see in the comic. 

Think of it in terms of Lidl Chocloate Chip, rather than Ben and Jerry's Phish Food.

As has been suggested here before, I like the idea that the impractical comic uniform would be a dress uniform version of the one they wear to work.

In Orbit Every Monday

Quote from: MarsHottentot on 27 July, 2011, 01:34:06 AM
Being lactose intolerant, I find this thread wholly offensive.

If you're lactose intolerant *and* like avocados read on -

http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/recipe-review/recipe-review-rick-bayless-dairy-free-avocado-ice-cream-093548

A tried and tested no-nonsense recipe that cos-players and fan-fic'ers alike will be pleased to hear
doesn't need a stove top or ice cream maker.

I've used vanilla extract and maple syrup before now to reduce the refined sugar content and also
added a touch of wasabi paste to the mix to give it some HEAT.

Best of all – the lime juice (don't ask me why - stops oxidisation?) helps the avocados remain the
right shade of GREEN.

Enjoy.

Richmond Clements

Goaty

If they are re-brand everythings with Dredd in a year, would they release a new ice cream? any idea of flavour ?

TordelBack

Will interest in this thread remain solid until Sundae? 

SmallBlueThing

What's going on? Scojo starts a thread, everybody responds, and now i dont know if he's been banned again and rejoined under different aliases to argue with himself, or what? Im so confused. Cant his ip address just be banned or something?
SBT

TordelBack

I believe it was established last year that ABC wasn't Scojo, despite some... similarities of opinion, and he's certainly conducting himself in a more acceptable fashion the man himself usually does.

Steve Green

I think someone else on this thread is more likely... but that's the way it goes, he pops up and it's like renacting the Thing...

tharg4

QuoteBig shoulder pads are unwieldy, but they're also reminiscent of what people saw in 1995.

Yes, but it's hard to know where to draw the line. For every person saying the original design would look too bulky or silly on screen, another person could say the Dark Judges would look silly too. What is silly and what's not? There's no clear distinction.

My own view is Judge Dredd is science fiction so anything is possible and if the audience buy into the concept of super powerful Judges enforcing the law in a crazy city called Mega-City 1 they will accept the Judges wear large gear. I understand the other point of view, but it's hard to get past the fact Dredd is sci-fi so it doesn't have to be that realistic. A guy that never takes off his helmet in public could be argued as being silly but we accept that so larger shoulder pads isn't that hard to believe in.

TordelBack

Quote from: tharg4 on 27 July, 2011, 01:17:34 PM... it's hard to get past the face Dredd is sci-fi so it doesn't have to be that realistic.

The problem with that is that the whole production has adopted a realistic look - set against that background the uniform has to make sense.  I'd guess that a large part of that decision is budget, coupled with a desire to use practical sets over CGI (a very futuristic MC-1 setting would be expensive to realise with physical sets, dressing and costuming - a more near-contemporary urban dystopia more achievable), and to some extent to emulate the path followed by the Batman franchise.  The latter point bleeds over into a need to distance itself visually and thus tonally from the '90's camp of its immediate predecessor, just as Batman Begins did.