Main Menu

LOEG Century: 1969 (SPOILERS!)

Started by House of Usher, 31 July, 2011, 12:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

House of Usher

Quote from: The Adventurer on 02 August, 2011, 07:44:37 PM
I'm actually considering watching (the 1971 version, natch) Get Carter

I'm alright for Get Carter, but I've finally been inspired with the patience to watch Performance all the way through.
STRIKE !!!

JOE SOAP

'The End' of...

Century: Let It Come Down

Quite simply, the monolith from 2001 is discovered on the moon; exposed to the rays of the sun it sets off the primal alarm that triggers the apes/chimps/tangs et al. to regain their memories/intelligence and they evolve/plan.

Meanwhile, the newborn Moonchild or 'Dave Bowman - spacebabby/starchild', is coming home to Judge earth while the 'apes' are in the full-swing of revolution. Spacebabby-Bowman, initiating the final solution, detonates all warheads ala the orbiting bomb/glittering earth lights at the end of 2001 -the novel- to end the conflict.

Prospero whispers 'My God—it's full of stars!...truly the entire earth is now a blazing world'.

Epilogue:

Allan & Mina go underground and worship a new god...Glory be to the Bomb, and to the Holy Fallout. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be. World without end. Amen.

Orlando shags Zira.

Taylor fucks all of 'em.

Trust me, all this will come to pass...Glycon told me so.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: House of Usher on 02 August, 2011, 08:09:37 PM
but I've finally been inspired with the patience to watch Performance all the way through.

Only the first half is worth it...as soon as Jagger makes his appearance it's a bag 'o shite.

House of Usher

Iain Sinclair (author of Slow Chocolate Autopsy, whence came Andrew Norton, Prisoner of London) is parodied unflatteringly in the current issue of Private Eye (5-18 August 2011), no. 1294.

I can't tell if it's funny or not because I've never read Iain Sinclair or heard him on the radio or seen him on the television; I've only read Andrew Norton's dialogue in LoEG as penned by Alan Moore; but I get a flavour of what reading him might be like. Maybe Iain Sinclair's a lot cleverer than Private Eye's reviewer, who isn't very good outside his comfort zone; I don't know.
STRIKE !!!

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Just got back from holiday and picked mine up today.

Devoured it in one sitting. Pretty wonderful, I felt. Bit worried at one point that the magic stuff was going to derail the story down into the black hole of Promethea-style unreadability, but fortunately not.

Having avoided the hype it took me a while to realise who "Tom" was meant to be. About 20 minutes after finishing, as I was walking to the shops, I had a bit of a Eureka moment:

[spoiler]Oh, of course! He's Voldemort![/spoiler]

Then everything made sense.

I also didn't really like the epilogue.

exilewood

Quote from: House of Usher on 02 August, 2011, 08:09:37 PM
Quote from: The Adventurer on 02 August, 2011, 07:44:37 PM
I'm actually considering watching (the 1971 version, natch) Get Carter

I'm alright for Get Carter, but I've finally been inspired with the patience to watch Performance all the way through.

Hope you enjoyed it, I love that film, it's fantastic.

House of Usher

Quote from: The Adventurer on 01 August, 2011, 02:22:23 AM
Orlando running off to become Tank Girl*

*okay, I'm making this up.

That may or may not be what Alan and Kevin are thinking; another reader has pointed out how much Allan Quatermain ends up looking like another comic book hero in 1977. I find that line of thought quite exciting; maybe we'll get an answer to that one in Part 3, 2009. Alternatively, seeing as the third one has been trailed as featuring the League reduced to just Mina, maybe we won't.
STRIKE !!!

The Adventurer

I'm trying to figure out if you're insinuating Allan looks like Judge Dredd or not. I thought he was looking a bit like John Constantine myself. But I'm not if that makes sense.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

House of Usher

Quote from: The Adventurer on 06 August, 2011, 10:07:30 AM
I thought he was looking a bit like John Constantine myself.

That's the one.
STRIKE !!!

JamesC

I think it's unlikely that Moore and O'Neill will try to make out that Quatermain becomes Constantine. Constantine has a pretty well defined back story and family history - it just wouldn't make sense.
I suppose they could have a young Constantine meet up with Quatermain though. It could even be that Quatermain inspires Constantine's look?

Interestingly, as real world figures seem to have their fictional counterparts and Constantine was famously based on Sting, perhaps Mucous Membrane could become the Leagues version of The Police?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: JamesC on 06 August, 2011, 11:18:56 AMInterestingly, as real world figures seem to have their fictional counterparts

Since Shaespeare appeared in the Black Dossier there seems to be more real-world personages getting mentioned too, which is a bit strange and they do seem to be all of an artistic bent suggesting they can cross-over, Norton mentioned a few or is he crossing dimensions too?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: House of Usher on 02 August, 2011, 02:41:25 PM
Inter-dimensional travel may turn out to be the plot device for future LoEG adventures Alan Moore has alluded to in interviews: if all fiction is canon in the LoEG world, then other dimensions must exist for interdimensional travellers to travel to. How else can the League's world co-exist with a Day of the Triffids, the Planet of the Apes and the detonation of world-ending doomsday devices? The three possible solutions are: 1) the End of the World as depicted in those fictions didn't happen; 2) they happened, but it wasn't as bad as it first appeared; and 3) they happened elsewhere.

...or the idea that cos all these fictional worlds occur together in this fiction-scape rather than in their own separate 'realities' means they can interact and alter the outcome of each other?

House of Usher

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 06 August, 2011, 12:16:53 PM
...or the idea that cos all these fictional worlds occur together in this fiction-scape rather than in their own separate 'realities' means they can interact and alter the outcome of each other?

I hope not! I would hate to think that The Day of the Triffids just didn't happen in the LoEG world because something else happened instead. In any case, alternate, parallel universes have been mentioned as canonical within the text of various books of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. The text story in 1910 tells us that the Space Wizard's scanners "enabled him to view any location in any galaxy, including places in dimensions other than our own." The Gally-wag's origin, the Yuggoth, and Alice's Looking Glass adventure all suggest the existence of other dimensions, so there's no reason to believe that some fictional dimensions might not exist that are almost identical to the League's own except in some catastrophic respect, like the sun devouring the Earth, triffids taking over the world or nuclear holocaust.

Various characters in the story have had adventures in multiple parallel worlds in the works of fiction they came from. Jerry Cornelius is one: I don't have a list of others.

Andrew Norton seems to be from The Real World whenever The League encounters him, because he always talks about real people and real events that Mina and her companions have no knowledge of (July bombings, John Lennon, Aleister Crowley, etc): this makes him something of an inter-dimensional traveller.

Shakespeare, as several of Jess Nevins's contributors have observed, appears to be portrayed as a fictitious character from our world - an alias for one or several London playwrights - but as real a person in the LoEG world as any character from fiction in our own (which I have had trouble getting my own head around).
STRIKE !!!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: House of Usher on 06 August, 2011, 05:49:41 PM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 06 August, 2011, 12:16:53 PM

I hope not! I would hate to think that The Day of the Triffids just didn't happen in the LoEG world because something else happened instead.

No reason why their existence in the LOEG universe can't be different, they have their own universes for the 'original' versions to happen. LOEG is a clusterfuck universe so it won't be the same. How else can we [spoiler]Get 'Jack' Carter kiling trance-ferred Oliver Haddo.[/spoiler]

House of Usher

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 06 August, 2011, 06:02:51 PM
How else can we [spoiler]Get 'Jack' Carter kiling trance-ferred Oliver Haddo.[/spoiler]

Because there's nothing in Get Carter to say that didn't happen.

More to the point, how can [spoiler]Jack Carter[/spoiler] and [spoiler]David Callan[/spoiler] be the same person? I haven't got much invested in either fiction, but someone better acquainted with both might see some contradictions.
STRIKE !!!