Main Menu

Inaugural ICN Awards open for nominations!

Started by Patrick, 16 September, 2011, 08:52:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick

Irish Comic News, a great site that covers the comics scene on both sides of the Irish border, announces the 2011 ICN Awards and is open for nominations!

There are categories for creators and comics in the self-published, mainstream publication and web fields, as well as for websites and comic shops, and a Hall of Fame section. so if you want to nominate Garth Ennis for his US-published stuff, Davy Francis for his work on classic UK kids' comic Oink!, Anna Fitzpatrick for her gorgeous digital painting on Between Worlds, or John Robbins for his hard hitting shorts and self-published anthologies - or, indeed, for me - please feel free.

And if you're struggling to think of who to vote for, why not browse the Irish Comics Wiki for ideas? But Irish creators who have worked for Tooth and the Meg include:

• Bob Byrne
  • Michael Carroll
  • Rufus Dayglo
  • Garth Ennis
  • Charlie Gillespie
  • PJ Holden
  • John McCrea
  • Len O'Grady
  • Kilian Plunkett
  • Dermot Power
  • Hilary Robinson
  • Will Simpson

Then there's Richmond Clements of Zarjaz, David McDonald & Co from Hibernia Press...

locustsofdeath!

Very cool!

Van Dom's mag can be nominated as well, right? Maybe I'll have to do that...

Patrick

Absolutely - Dirk's Vanguard is definitely eligible.

Richmond Clements

Patrick

Cthulouis

Well, I've placed my incredibly biased votes.

Van Dom

Hey guys!
I know you will all be voting for Mike Carroll, PJ Holden and Numbercruncher in the "mainstream" sections of this, but while you are doing that - if it pleases you - you might consider throwing myself and my comic a wee vote in the self-published categories.
Not that I stand a chance of getting anywhere as I'm just the new kid on the block compared to all the other more established nominees, but I'd like to make a reasonable showing all the same!
Would really appreciate it guys.
Thanks a lot! :)

Dirk
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

COMMANDO FORCES

You got my vote, if you don't ask, you don't get  ;)

Mike Carroll

Only a few days to go... Please vote for me! It's extremely important to me that I win this, for reasons I'm not yet at liberty to divulge.

In fact, it's almost a crime against the Galaxy's Greatest Comic not to vote for me and all the other 2000AD creators in the other categories*. The more categories won by 2000AD creators, the higher the comic's profile. Higher profile means greater sales, thus ensuring the longevity of your favourite comic.

-- Mike

* Except Garth Ennis. You can vote for him in the Hall of Fame category - unless you're going to vote for Bob Byrne in that one - but not in the Best Mainstream Published Irish Writer category, because that's the only one I'm in.

bluemeanie

Done and done.... tho very upset there isnt a "Nicest man in Irish comics" award  :D

CrazyFoxMachine

Mike Carroll

Last day for voting!

If it helps to sway your decision at all, here's some links to a few of my own comic-strips
Judge Dredd: Caterpillars (art by Bryan Talbot & Alwyn Talbot)
Tales of the Genetic Infantry: In the Dark (art by our very own Bolt-01)
By the Book (art by Bolt-01)

-- Mike

maryanddavid

Just voted, I suppose I should have tried to get Tales from the Emerald Isle nominated, thats laziness for ya!

David

The Legendary Shark

That's my votes in, too. Fingers crossed for the Twoothy Contingent!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Mike Carroll

And the winners are...

BEST SELF PUBLISHED IRISH ARTIST (includes pencilers, inkers, colourists)
Alan Nolan

BEST SELF PUBLISHED IRISH WRITER
Mike Lynch

BEST MAINSTREAM PUBLISHED IRISH ARTIST  (includes pencilers, inkers, colourists)
Nick Roche

BEST MAINSTREAM PUBLISHED IRISH WRITER
Garth Ennis

BEST IRISH WEBCOMIC
The Cattle Raid of Cooley

BEST IRISH SELF PUBLISHED COMIC
League of Volunteers

BEST IRISH CREATOR MAINSTREAM PUBLISHED COMIC
Thunderbolts

BEST IRISH COMIC RELATED BLOG or PODCAST (ICN is exempt)
The Pubcast

BEST IRISH COMIC SHOP
Dublin City Comics

OVERALL BEST IRISH COMIC
League of Volunteers

HALL OF FAME (indivdual)
Garth Ennis

HALL OF FAME (comic)
Mister Amperduke

Crap. Didn't win the coveted "BEST MAINSTREAM PUBLISHED IRISH WRITER" category. Didn't even come second, according to the note on the Irish Comic News website! :(

Thanks for everyone who voted for me, though, and well done to the winners. Lucky sods.

Still, at least I was shortlisted, which means that my name now appears twice on the Irish Comic News website (the other time is a mention by Richmond Clements - thank, Rich!).

-- Mike the bitterly disappointed but trying not to show it