Main Menu

Ashes Kickstarter campaign

Started by Ancient Otter, 20 November, 2011, 05:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M.I.K.

Quote from: locustsofdeath! on 29 November, 2011, 05:19:55 PM
Couldn't have said it better myself, DVD, especially the online comics bit. I just wrote (and Ghostpockets just drew) what I feel - and I could be wrong, of course - is an incredibly strong, unique strip that appeared in the latest Hallowscream...and it was buried at the end of the issue, where I fear readers seldom arrive. This is not to knock Hallowscream, as I've participated every year and really love being a part of, but it is disheartening that I will get little to no feedback of a strip I really care for.

RE : positioning of stories... Just want to make it clear that position in the magazine has nothing to do with the quality of the strips. I always try to strike a balance between the weaker and stronger stories throughout the entire issue, (even if it does sometimes boil down to a matter of personal taste). I actually stuck my personal favourite for the last Hallowscream right at the end of the issue 'cos it seemed like the best story to end it on.

(I also try to get the 'twist' in the stories on an evenly numbered page. Doesn't make a huge difference when reading it as a pdf, but looks good in the myebook version, (and any future printed versions). Makes it pretty awkward when putting things together, though, and that probably determined where things went more than anything else.)

I totally agree with the point regarding reviews and online comics. However, in my experience, even if you get something published in a physical paper and ink affair, it's no guarantee that your particular story will get mentioned in a review - not if it's in an anthology alongside a ton of other stuff by various creators. Publishing your own material and letting relevant folk know about it, is definitely the only way you can be sure of decent feedback.

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: M.I.K. on 29 November, 2011, 10:34:07 PM

RE : positioning of stories... Just want to make it clear that position in the magazine has nothing to do with the quality of the strips. I always try to strike a balance between the weaker and stronger stories throughout the entire issue, (even if it does sometimes boil down to a matter of personal taste). I actually stuck my personal favourite for the last Hallowscream right at the end of the issue 'cos it seemed like the best story to end it on.

No intended offense whatsoever, Malcolm. I hope I didn't come off as complaining - the first issue of Hallowscream published the first ever comic script I'd written (Glubbleblugg), so I do hold it dear and plan to continue contributing for as long as it's around. Personally, I wish you'd consider putting it on Lulu so we can get copies of it - or even send a "best of" to reviewers. There is quality work throughout all three issues.

M.I.K.

None taken. Publishing via Lulu is something that both myself and Ghastly have considered in the past and something'll probably crop up on there, some point down the line.

In the meantime, I believe Mr. McNasty is sorting out getting printed copies sent off, in time for Christmas, to those who contributed to the Indiegogo thingummy.

Ghastly McNasty

I agree that the lack of feedback can leave you feeling a bit cold at the end of the whole process. Apart from the people whose work appeared in the comic (who all think Hallowscream is wicked) we don't really see any comments, input or criticisms. Shame really cos everyone worked so hard and it's launched with a bang then just fizzles out. Some of the stories in Hallowscream 2011 are truly top class.

I'd not really seen any crowd sourcing sites until I started looking for a way to get Hallowscream printed. I thought IndieGoGo was an amazing idea in theory but in practice it seemed that it was mostly the writers and artists of the comic that gave money to the cause. I was kinda hoping that the 'freebie community vibe' of Hallowscream would get cash contributions from randoms but maybe I was a little naive? It was a good learning experience anyways and no harm was done.

All 3 issues of Hallowscream will hopefully be available from Lulu before the end of this year!