Main Menu

The Phoenix

Started by maryanddavid, 16 January, 2012, 12:25:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spaceghost

OK Comics, my fantastic local comic shop, have just 'Facebooked' that they have the first 3 issues in stock! I'm off in at lunchtime to get 'em.

Can't wait for this now, especially as I just found out that Michael Morpurgo, one of my son's favourite authors, is writing one of the stories.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Davek

Quote from: Lee Bates on 26 January, 2012, 11:52:39 AM
Can't wait for this now, especially as I just found out that Michael Morpurgo, one of my son's favourite authors, is writing one of the stories.

Sounds good - the kids get a 'free'  Morpurgo book with a Happy Meal yesterday, plus a voucher to use at WHSmith to buy another for £1.

TordelBack

Just can't get into Morpurgo*, no idea why, although top marks to Maccers for giving out books instead of the usual tat. 

Let us know how issues 1 to 3 work out Lee, I have to try to get hold of them myself, although the rediscovery of my Tintin collection has given me some breathing space on the kids' comics front.

*Fairly sure he was a villain in Anderson Psi at some point.

Spaceghost

Just been and collected these from OK Comics. It seems I misread the website; Michael Morpurgo isn't actually writing for The Phoenix, he just endorses it on their website. Never mind, it still looks really good from a quick flick through.

OK Comics apparently went straight to source and said they wanted to stock The Phoenix, and they'll be getting every issue on a weekly basis from now on. I've placed an order.

Molch-R

Quote from: Lee Bates on 26 January, 2012, 01:52:03 PM
OK Comics apparently went straight to source and said they wanted to stock The Phoenix, and they'll be getting every issue on a weekly basis from now on. I've placed an order.

God bless Jared.

Van Dom

David sent me on a copy of issue 0 too, which was brilliant - thank you David!
I personally haven't had time to read it yet but my daughter picked it up last night and devoured the thing from cover to cover. She was absorbed in it. So that must be a good thing. She did echo Tordelback Jrs comments about Pirates of Pangaea in that she wanted to read the next part, so they seem to be on to a winner there anyway.

Thanks again David, very much appreciated by Halo! :)

Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

Spaceghost

Quote from: Molch-R on 26 January, 2012, 01:55:19 PM

God bless Jared.

Yeah, he's really sound and he knows his stuff. It's how all comic shops should be, instead of glorified toy shops staffed and populated by sulking goths (I'm looking at you Forbidden Planet!).

Van Dom

Quote from: Lee Bates on 26 January, 2012, 02:05:06 PM
Quote from: Molch-R on 26 January, 2012, 01:55:19 PM

God bless Jared.

Yeah, he's really sound and he knows his stuff. It's how all comic shops should be, instead of glorified toy shops staffed and populated by sulking goths (I'm looking at you Forbidden Planet!).

Precisely why I haven't been in a Forbidden Planet in about 5 years. For Dubliners, the superior Sub City is the way to go!
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

TordelBack

Quote from: Van Dom on 26 January, 2012, 02:08:41 PM
For Dubliners, the superior Sub City is the way to go!

Amen to that*, can't beat a bit of intelligent conversation with your weekly comics.  Now there's a ritual the unemployed TB misses, a Saturday morning chinwag over a stack of floppies!

*Although to be fair, the staff in the Dublin FP have always been a decent bunch. 

Cthulouis

Hey Lee,

Would that be OK comics in Leeds, and do they have any left?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 26 January, 2012, 02:37:49 PM
Quote from: Van Dom on 26 January, 2012, 02:08:41 PM
For Dubliners, the superior Sub City is the way to go!

Amen to that*, can't beat a bit of intelligent conversation with your weekly comics.  Now there's a ritual the unemployed TB misses, a Saturday morning chinwag over a stack of floppies!

*Although to be fair, the staff in the Dublin FP have always been a decent bunch.

Remember the Twilight Zone in the Abbey Mall?

Spaceghost

Quote from: Cthulouis on 26 January, 2012, 09:24:53 PM
Hey Lee,

Would that be OK comics in Leeds, and do they have any left?

That's right, Leeds, and they had plenty of copies of all three issues in today.

Cthulouis

Sweeeet, time to start hassling my work colleague who lives in Leeds.

How much is each issue?

TordelBack

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 26 January, 2012, 09:35:30 PM
Remember the Twilight Zone in the Abbey Mall?

They fitted a lot of shop into a broom cupboard!  Was the tiny space near the door before or after the larger one in the corner? 

Every time I look at the Kebabs and Roast-in-a-rolls I wistfully think "I remember when this was all comics..."

Spaceghost

Quote from: Cthulouis on 26 January, 2012, 09:41:16 PM
Sweeeet, time to start hassling my work colleague who lives in Leeds.

How much is each issue?

They're £2.99 each. A bit pricy for a 32 page comic (compared to the prog) but there's a lot in each issue.

Read issue 1 with my kids tonight and it got the thumbs up. They particularly enjoyed Star Cat and Bunny vs Monkey and the feature on creating your own comics which I thought was excellent.