Main Menu

DROKK

Started by Misanthrope, 26 January, 2012, 04:06:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: wonkychop on 27 January, 2012, 06:29:44 PMAlso The Darkness sound just like Queen, The Darkness call themselve HM , ergo Queen = HM.

I may have this wrong, being out of touch with Youth and their 'Popular Music' for some time, but isn't The Darkness a spoof glam rock band?  I ask in all ignorance.

M.I.K.

No. They're a genuine glam rock band.

Only ever heard them refer to themselves as "rock".

TordelBack

Quote from: M.I.K. on 27 January, 2012, 07:17:55 PM

Gosh.  I assumed it was all a joke, Justin Hawkins and his trousers and all.  A knowing spoof of the excesses of glam rock, a sort of 21st C Spinal Tap, only not really funny.  Oddly I had a colleague who was a major fan and swore they were a serious act, but I always thought she was just mad.  Shows what I know about music!

The Adventurer

Getting back to the DROKK album... I liked those two tracks on the website. I rather like how they aren't the obvious (metal). Rather more of a cyberpunk dystopia/future techno sound. I think it fits and feels right.

But Mega-City 1, the sprawling varied megalopolis it is, can cover a lot of musical variety.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Misanthrope

Quote from: The Adventurer on 27 January, 2012, 08:00:28 PM
Getting back to the DROKK album... I liked those two tracks on the website. I rather like how they aren't the obvious (metal). Rather more of a cyberpunk dystopia/future techno sound. I think it fits and feels right.

But Mega-City 1, the sprawling varied megalopolis it is, can cover a lot of musical variety.

I thought "Justice One" sounded very John Carpenter esque.
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

Dandontdare

Quote from: TordelBack on 27 January, 2012, 07:33:16 PM

Gosh.  I assumed it was all a joke, Justin Hawkins and his trousers and all.  A knowing spoof of the excesses of glam rock, a sort of 21st C Spinal Tap, only not really funny.  Oddly I had a colleague who was a major fan and swore they were a serious act, but I always thought she was just mad.  Shows what I know about music!

They've been given the Mills/Langley Coolness seal of approval.
Nuff said.

Quote from: wonkychop on 27 January, 2012, 06:11:25 PM
It's not that chaps ( :-*) I just prefer musicians who can remain calm and dignified at all times.

this is possibly the most stupid expression of musical taste that I have ever heard.

Calm and dignified? Fuck off.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 27 January, 2012, 07:33:16 PM

Gosh.  I assumed it was all a joke, Justin Hawkins and his trousers and all.

Yes they were a joke and promoted/prostituted themselves as such but it seemed that when they turned around and said 'yeah we liked having a laugh on our first releases but now we're famous we'd like to be taken serious please' their spotlight inevitably began to dim.

You can't have it both ways, most of the time.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: wonkychop on 27 January, 2012, 06:11:25 PM
I just prefer musicians who can remain calm and dignified at all times.

Bwahahahahhaha. Like Men who wear blazers and suits, Eric Clapton or the Shadows maybe?

Gonk

Quote from: Dandontdare on 27 January, 2012, 08:43:31 PM

this is possibly the most stupid expression of musical taste that I have ever heard.

Calm and dignified? Fuck off.

Any bunch of musicians, whatever their style of music, who go on stage and refer to themselves as Gods, Kings, Princes of Darkness or whatever will have me laughing at them.
coming at a cinema near you soon

JOE SOAP

Quote from: wonkychop on 27 January, 2012, 08:56:35 PMAny bunch of musicians, whatever their style of music, who go on stage and refer to themselves as Gods, Kings, Princes of Darkness or whatever will have me laughing at them.

You've never heard of a bit of theatre darling.

Gonk

huh, pantomime more like. Bunch of long haired 'nanas :lol:

Dandontdare

Quote from: wonkychop on 27 January, 2012, 09:01:55 PM
huh, pantomime more like. Bunch of long haired 'nanas :lol:

Say that to Lemmy

Gonk

Dude! He was in Hawkwind. The band famous for having the worse bass player in the world in it. :lol:

JOE SOAP

Dude, you haven't a notion.

Gonk

I can't listen to someones' albums after they've appeared in a Bud' commercial and had their best song changed into a laughable country and western p###take.  Hayseed Dixie. Pff.