Main Menu

Puzzle Ball

Started by Gonk, 31 January, 2012, 11:22:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gonk

Spent the last week building this:

Does anyone on the forum know how I can get the last piece in?
coming at a cinema near you soon

strontium71

I made the Simpsons one years ago and it took a while , but eventually I took out a couple of surrounding pieces and assembled them separately then carefully slotted the bigger chunk back in.
...because I hate you.

Gonk

I've been trying that, but the last piece is not adjacent to the penultimate one. It says on the instructions to tap in with a rubber! Useless.

Buttonman

Insert a balloon in the hole and blow it up so that it expands to fill the innards giving enough support to the structure so yo can lever the last bit in. Then simply pop the balloon or leave there giving the added benefit of you having the satisfaction of knowing that you have an 'emergency' balloon should an impromptu party break out.

Glad I could help.

Jared Katooie

10 points for Buttonman.

A.Cow

Hmmmm....

Have you considered building it inside-out?  That way you could slot the last piece in from the outer side (which was previously the inner side).

The disadvantage would be that you wouldn't be able to see the picture ('cos it'd now be inside the globe).

You'd also need to be in non-Euclidean space for the curvature of the pieces to work properly.  Other than that, I'm sure it's a sound idea.

Gonk

Thanks so far. I haven't thrown it up the wall yet so thats a positive. Just thinking, are these things a German idea?

James Stacey

try lubricating the hole left by the last piece with some cheese. This should allow you to ease that stubborn piece in. Camembert is good, Brie at a pinch.

TordelBack

Quote from: James Stacey on 03 February, 2012, 04:34:18 PM
try lubricating the hole left by the last piece with some cheese. This should allow you to ease that stubborn piece in. Camembert is good, Brie at a pinch.

Please be serious James.  Soft cheeses aren't the solution to every problem.

A nice piece of Gruyere, on the other hand, could be shaped to exactly fit the hole, only 0.5mm smaller in extent so that it slots nicely.  A blowtorch carefully applied would melt the gruyere to form a tough snug fit.  Voila, a new and entirely delicious landmass is born.

Anyway, I do have a mildly serious suggestion.  Poke two holes through the last piece with a threaded needle, pulling a strong thread in and out (like a simple button), so that you have the two ends on the outside face.  Push the piece into the globe and then pull it back out with the thread, twisting it to fit and holding the surrounding pieces down with your other hand, giving you the purchase you need to make it snug.  Then just pull the thread through.

Roger Godpleton

Sell it and use it as seed capital to fund your entry into the black-market anti-anxiety medication trade.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Gonk

sounds like a good idea

SmallBlueThing

Turn it round, so the hole faces the wall, and no one will ever know.

SBT

I, Cosh

FFS! The hole is where the UFOs go to get back to Agartha.
We never really die.

Misanthrope

Is the last piece Birmingham? If so leave it as it is, Birmingham has always been a bit of a 'hole'.
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

A.Cow

Quote from: Misanthrope on 04 February, 2012, 03:08:53 AM
Is the last piece Birmingham? If so leave it as it is, Birmingham has always been a bit of a 'hole'.

(Sharp intake of breath) How dare you!