Main Menu

What's everyone listening to...?

Started by Gonk, 01 February, 2012, 09:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apestrife

Quote from: Greg M. on 27 August, 2017, 02:11:16 PM
Queens of the Stone Age - Villains

First impression: it's good, though I can't help but feel it needs another slow, meandering song on it - unlike its more languid predecessor, it seems to be in quite a hurry. Drums sound slightly muted. Quite a few moments (as is frequently the case with QOTSA) where I feel like Josh Homme is channeling old mentor Chris Goss from Masters of Reality - specifically, the latter's 'Pine / Cross Dover' album.

Been listening nonstop since the release. I really like the album lyrically. Feels like the world has caught up with Josh, and he's not sure if he's to run off, or dance it off.

Love how aggressive and funky it sounds. And how rather than feeling like a collection of songs, it flows together. Especially Villains of circumstance and Feet don't fail me. Why I think it lends itself really well to be put on repeat.

Greg M.

The more I listen to it, the more I'm starting to think it's a bit too immediate, and won't have the staying power of ...Like Clockwork, which was a real grower, and became probably my favourite of their records (possibly tied with the debut.)

Apestrife

Quote from: Greg M. on 29 August, 2017, 07:57:00 PM
The more I listen to it, the more I'm starting to think it's a bit too immediate, and won't have the staying power of ...Like Clockwork, which was a real grower, and became probably my favourite of their records (possibly tied with the debut.)

...Like clockwork is probably my favorite Qotsa record too. Villains feels like a companion to it.

lincnash

Been craving a bit of Speed-Metal lately.
Devildriver's S/T from 2005 has been on (loud) high rotation in the Radback. :D

Leigh S

Jessica Lea Mayfield on a loop (well more of a loop than normal!)

New album out end of the month and shaping up to be her best yet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNWy4rK3_vs

Fungus

Quote from: Leigh S on 02 September, 2017, 11:01:58 AM

Sassy!

Leigh S

Very upsetting but also life affirming interview with JLM here and her new song (written (for her?) by some other chap, but fits the album perfectly)...  In a fair world it would be a huge pop hit....

http://www.lennyletter.com/culture/interviews/a986/jessica-lea-mayfield-sorry-is-gone-domestic-violence/

Quote from: Fungus on 12 September, 2017, 01:56:38 PM
Quote from: Leigh S on 02 September, 2017, 11:01:58 AM

Sassy!

Fungus

Well - thanks for these. Made a crappy day slightly brighter! I'm blown away. Cheers!

Greg M.

Sparks - Hippopotamus

Ron and Russell return with a superb record - almost a Sparks 101 in terms of showcasing everything that was ever great about this pair of wonderful loonies. Witty, acerbic lyrics teamed with bite-sized-but-baroque chamber-pop ditties - as unique as ever. Russell's voice has held up remarkably well, and if Ron seems more chipper than in his scowling heyday, well, it's no wonder. On first listen, it seems as if the album lacks a real standout, but like all great records, successive spins see the tracks really grow on you and reveal their hidden depths. It ought to be a surprise that a pair of brothers with a combined age of 141 have released one of the best records of the year - but somehow, it seems very fitting.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Greg M. on 11 October, 2017, 07:28:52 PM
Sparks - Hippopotamus

Just saw these two live in Brizzle - amazing performance and the songs from Hippopotamus were strikingly good. So glad this charted (and had them in the top ten for the first time since the 70's I believe) :)

Tiplodocus

Jesus and Mary Chain: Damage and Joy
Public Service Broadcasting: very Valley
a-ha: Unplugged Summer Solstice.

Crackers all.

Has there ever been a better looking male band than a-ha? (Not counting boy bands where members are chosen for their looks)
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Apestrife

Noel Gallagher's high flying birds - Who built the moon

The album is far from what I expected it to be, in a really good way. Brilliant musical cocktail. Has everything from Primal Scream on a glitter trip kitsch, straddle legged saxophone to not only one but two tunes that out-Bonds James Bond themes.

Fav tunes:
Fort Knox, reminds me of Fucking in the bushes, but with sunshine and samples of jets flying by.
The man who built the moon, with it's colossal Twin peaks stomp, haunting melody and cinematic lyrics.

Tjm86

Just discovered the Toasters.  Mainly since someone used the acronym DLTBGYD and I didn't have a clue what it meant.  About as subtle as a breeze block through the window.  Tidy.

manwithnoname

I need some suggestions of where I can hear new music.

I don't like radio as a rule, but used to listen to Peel obviously. There's no real alternative around that I can find, apart from maybe Marc Riley on Radio Six, and that's almost always shit.

Any pointers?

Bolt-01

Hmmm- never got on with Peel myself- he always seemed a little 'too' willing to experiment (Much like Lard over on 6music) but I do like to listen to Lauren Laverne (10am on 6) and I make a point to catch up with the Electric Ladyland show (also on 6) and the various new music shows are normally good there too.