Main Menu

Prog Golden Age: now is the time?

Started by Proudhuff, 08 February, 2012, 11:20:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cthulouis

That is the wonder of an anthology, though. If people were here saying they liked every single story, it would probably only be a golden age to a few people, while everyone else yearned for those things the others dislike. I find various stories weak, but they are stories that others enjoy, so I'm good with that.

I personally feel that together, Thrid Element, Shadow Warriors, and the Volgan Wars create a wonderful re-establishing of the ABC world, cleaning out the Khaos-cobwebs and creating the foundations from which wonderful things will grow. I look forward to seeing where that path takes them.

leebrown1990

I think in recent years the peak has been 2009 - 2010 when Tour of Duty was running alongside Savage, Cradlegrave, Nikolai Dante, Zombo & Savage. That was a really strong line-up. After that you have Kingdom, Shakara, Stickleback and Defoe coming back too.

I dont think the last few months have been as good as before christmas, but the quality is so high it's hard to tell. Besides if there's 1 thrill you don't like big deal and regardless atleast you're garunteed variety.

But yeah for me that 2009-2010 period matches my personal favourite the Bisley ABC Warriors. Oz, Nemisis the Warlock, Zenith & Bad Company all running alongisde one another. I mean I wasn't alive when it first come out but I reckon it was like late 500's/ late 1980's.

When I got into 2000AD in I think it was 2008 I remember Dead Eye's, Savage & Stickleback was in the Prog and that was some good sh*t. That's what made me go back any buy alot of back issues. I think I own from about 300- current so I cannont comment on any of the really old school stuff.

Cheers,
Lee
"After 2,000 years of keeping them breeding inside the one bloodline, we're lucky the bastard doesn't have antennae."

Emperor

There is a danger that the good run we've been in so far this year might be caused by a random conjunction of quality stories and we could equally be hit with a random run of below par progs. However, looking over the forthcoming thrills there are stories I'm wetting myself with excitement to see, others I know I'll enjoy when they arrive and some that I'm not that fussed about, but nothing that makes my sphincter tighten:

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,35334.msg655367.html#msg655367

It has also been a number of years since there has been a proper stinker that I really wasn't looking forward to reading.

So yes, I'd be happy to say that this isn't a fluke year, this is indeed a new Golden Age and it has not only been going on for a few years but it keeps getting better. The danger, as has been pointed out, is that Dante will end soonish and Sinister Dexter is winding down to a conclusion, but someone has mentioned Dante spin-offs which I'm well up for, and we have newer stories that have proved to be modern classics (Zombo and Low Life), with other shaping up (like Absalom and Damnation Station). Plus Tharg's 3rillers show he is prepared to try new things. So I reckon the prog should be in good shape for now.

Compare that with some of the worst times in the early 90s, when I was largely getting by waiting for the next story by John Smith to appear :(

It'd also be interesting to compare the run of the last few years against the first Golden Age, I wonder if nostalgia has rather papered over some of the cracks and there were plenty of stinkers lurking in the line-up that we've conveniently forgotten. Is anyone prepared to name a 3-year stretch of 2000AD they'd call the original Golden Age?
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Emperor on 27 February, 2012, 04:24:18 AM
Sinister Dexter is winding down to a conclusion...

Slight side step from the topic, but is there any evidence of this? I've heard Abnett say in the past that he's happy to continue writing Sinister Dexter until the cows come home as its the one strip he really feels is his, up down, top bottom and has a very special place in his heart. I know that'd annoy some folk but make me happy as I still love it.

Emperor

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 27 February, 2012, 08:23:22 AM
Quote from: Emperor on 27 February, 2012, 04:24:18 AM
Sinister Dexter is winding down to a conclusion...

Slight side step from the topic, but is there any evidence of this? I've heard Abnett say in the past that he's happy to continue writing Sinister Dexter until the cows come home as its the one strip he really feels is his, up down, top bottom and has a very special place in his heart. I know that'd annoy some folk but make me happy as I still love it.

Oh right, perhaps I imagined it or perhaps it was wishful thinking. Then again the current storyline is working well, the main problem for me is that when we thought it had finished I felt that it was about time it happened and moved on. Then it came back but somewhere in my head or heart it is kind of fixed that it is all over. Which sounds a bit odd when I type it, it is like someone faking their own death - your mourn them and life goes on, when they come back you have already moved on with your life.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Colin YNWA

Phew with your all seeing internet eye I assumed you'd heard something that I hadn't.

And relax.

Taryn Tailz

I've been buying the prog for a little over two years now, and in all that time the only bad strip that has been printed has been Angel Zero. So I could call this a golden age, but in my experience the prog has never been anything else.  :cool: