Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills!

Started by radiator, 10 February, 2012, 12:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grant Goggans

Robo-KEEF, while we'd all love to see a new edition of the DC/Rebellion Complete Indigo Prime, I really hope that before you take too many steps, please have a look at how INcomplete the existing edition is.  It's missing their first appearance ("A Change of Scenery," which was reprinted a bit later in The Best of Tharg's Future Shocks), and their surprising reappearance in the Tyranny Rex story "Woody Allen."  Those two definitely need to be part of any Indigo Prime book, because they define the characters and the concept a whole lot better than most of their other early appearances, and it's a heck of a lot kinder to the reader than starting a book with "The Issigri Variations."

You could fit those two - along with, ideally, a foreword from Smith - inside one new 16-page signature, but I'd encourage going a little further and also adding the Tyranny Rex story "Soft Bodies."  That's certain to make everybody's head hurt almost as much as "Issigri," but it also introduced Fervent and Lobe, and let readers kind of understand just how big and weird this concept that Smith was developing is.

And tell your alien boss to get the blasted strip back in the prog.  Its absence is heartbreaking.  At least a new 10-page story in Prog 2013, and every year-end edition, seriously.  With an active roster of dozens and dozens of operatives, there's no reason why Smith can't write one-offs with all sorts of weird characters and agents without devoting energies to his ongoing subplots and lead characters, such as they are.

That is... if Bagwell isn't already working on drawing more...  http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2012/08/whats-edmund-bagwell-up-to/

That said, thanks for scheduling Anthropocalypse.  I am looking forward to it.

Robo-K33F

Its a little tough though, because like The Dead Man, like Malone, like The Vort; the surprise reveal at the end is sort of why the series is so memorable and exciting. And putting it in an Indigo Prime collection sort of kills that surprise.

I mean, its necessary for a lot of practical reasons to call the book Indigo Prime. But part of me kinda wishes it was called Dead Eyes, with no subtitles (or indication in the back synopsis of it turning into Indigo Prime)
[/quote]

Exactly Adventurer!

do you think people would be adverse to buying a book that essentially has two covers - one side being Dead Eyes and the other Indigo Prime? Once you finish reading DE you flip the book over and start on IP...

The Adventurer

Quote from: Robo-K33F on 23 August, 2012, 08:11:54 PMExactly Adventurer!

do you think people would be adverse to buying a book that essentially has two covers - one side being Dead Eyes and the other Indigo Prime? Once you finish reading DE you flip the book over and start on IP...

A Dead Eyes/Indigo Prime flip book? That's certainly an idea. And I'm not sure if I've ever seen it done with a trade collection, ever. For weirdness factor it certainly fits the Indigo Prime concept.

My suggestions if you go that route... series synopsis on the inside front and back covers (so if the reader wants to know what the book is about, they just open up to the inside cover for which ever story they're looking at.

Placement of the barcode and price tag could be tricky, it'd be best if both were located on the inside cover. But if that's not possible, probably should put it on the Dead Eyes cover side..

Next idea. REVERSIBLE SPINE! So if you want to shelve it as Dead Eyes you can, if you want to shelve it as Indigo Prime, you can. Though creator credits might be a bit tricky to fit to look right.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

The Adventurer

Just slapped this together just to test how the spin could look, or at least how I imagine it could look. Based it on the most recent spine revision as seen used on Abaslom and Ampney Crucis Investigates (which actually makes it a lot easier). It could work I think. An actual graphic designer might have a different opinion though.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Dash Decent

Not a 2000AD title, but I notice that Haynes have a "Dan Dare: Spacefleet Operations (Owner's Workshop Manual)" scheduled for next year.

For those that haven't noticed, they've expanded their 'Owners Workshop Manuals' into a variety of famous vehicles (the Titanic, Spitfires, Concorde, Routemaster Buses, etc) and fictional ones (the Millennium Falcon, Thunderbirds, Klingon Bird of Prey, etc).

I thought I'd post it even though it's not 2000AD related as I'm sure there will be some love for Dan Dare here.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Grant Goggans

I do like that flip book idea.  If ever there was a series that warranted such a thing, it is Prime.

dweezil2

Quick question for Robo-K33F.

Is there a revised date for the America GN?

Many thanks.  :)
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

The Monarch

God I would murder for a proper indigo prime as Grant mentioned....although include the three text stories for full completeness

I really like a flip book idea of the new stuff that would be hilarious

Dash Decent

Now up for pre-order on Amazon UK:

Slaine - The Grail War - 176 pages, 11th April 2013

Sláine MacRoth Celtic warrior and High King of the tribes of the Earth Goddess Danu, continues his journey through time. Sláine arrives in thirteenth century France, where he comes face to face with Crusader Simon De Montfort, the sworn enemy of the Cathars. While searching for the tortured reincarnation of his lover Niamh, Sláine is compelled to join forces with De Montfort in order to seek out the Grail Stone. The quest won't be easy, however Sláine will have to defeat the dark forces of El if he is to stand any chance of saving Niamh's soul!
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

credo

Quote from: Dash Decent on 06 September, 2012, 01:53:55 PM

So that's "The Demon Hitchhiker" (prog 1032), "King Of Hearts" (progs 1033 - 1039), "The Grail War" (progs 1040 - 1049) and "Secrets Of The Grail" (prog 1090 - 1099) plus some covers.

Giving us another volume covering the Kai, Swan Children etc (which I'm going to assume will be called Lord Of The Beasts), then a volume covering just The Secret Commonwealth (which had better contain all the missing annual stories if they want anyone to buy it).  After that we're at paperback reprints of the Langley hardbacks.

vark

Quote from: Dash Decent on 06 September, 2012, 01:53:55 PM

Great news, thanks for the info!

Aonghus

Quote from: Dash Decent on 10 August, 2012, 03:10:59 PM
Now up for pre-order on Amazon UK:  (Note - e-book only).

Judge Dredd Year One: City Fathers
THE MAKING OF THE LAWMAN...

Mega-City One, 2080. It is Joe Dredd's first year as a full-eagle Judge – he may have been created from the genes of Eustace Fargo, the 'Father of Justice', and thus part of an illustrious lineage, but right now Dredd is not long graduated from the Academy, and yet to establish himself as the metropolis's toughest, greatest cop. His reputation will be moulded in the years ahead, but at the moment he's a young lawman, fresh on the streets.

The brutal murder of a Justice Department-sanctioned spy sparks an investigation that will see Dredd trawl the criminal underworld in the hunt for the killer – and he will discover that all is not what it seems in the sector's murky black market. Something new has entered the system, and unless Dredd can stop it, chaos will be unleashed...

This is an ebook exclusive novella from Matthew Smith, editor of 2000 AD and author of the novels, Judge Dredd: The Final Cut and Tomes of the Dead: Words of Their Roaring.

I just read the first chapter and really want to download it, but only have a Kobo- anyone know if it's downloadable in a kobo-friendly format? I could get the kindle version and convert it, I guess, but I'd rather not on principle. And laziness.

Mark Taylor

Quote from: James Stacey on 23 August, 2012, 01:46:36 PM
I mailed Robo-Keef a little while ago and he said not to expect it before April.

A year between 19 and 20... and I was hoping for the pace to speed up, not slow down. :(

Good news on the Indigo Prime trade, though.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: radiator on 23 August, 2012, 12:23:28 PM
Judge Dredd: Day of Chaos - The Fourth Faction - Feb 2013

Just reading the blurb for this on Amazon...

QuoteLegendary Judge Dredd-co-creator John Wagner has written the longest, most eventful and world-shattering Dredd-epic of his career. Mega-City One has seen nothing like this since the Apocalypse War, and this time things are looking even darker. With the much-loved mayor of Mega-City One presumed dead by the citizens, an election has been scheduled to choose his successor. Cadet Judge Hennessey has predicted that something terrible will happen on the Election Day and she may be right. East-Meg assassin Nadia has arrived in the Big Meg, looking for a scientist who has created a very dangerous virus... This is the first of three volumes chronicling Day of Chaos
@jamesfeistdraws

radiator

Three? Seems a bit excessive, DoC was shorter than Tour of Duty wasn't it?