Main Menu

MEG 321 - American Reaper , sexy ostriches?

Started by strontium71, 22 February, 2012, 10:32:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 24 February, 2012, 02:03:17 PM
Quote from: Buttonman on 24 February, 2012, 07:58:48 AM
QuoteClaim?Think I've had 4 in last few years.The last one specifically pointed out the lack of replies on Dreddlines, guess what happened......

Please provide name/town or at least one issue that you were in an the Letters Beast Database will verify your claim. Not that we wouldn't take your word for it but people come on here all the time with fanciful claims!

Really don't get your post.The point I was raising was the general lack of replies in Dreddlines,not just to my own.It's rare any reply is posted -which is clear to all, simply looking for an explanation.

As for the 'fanciful claims' -I'm not claiming to have shot dead four men for pete's sake, just letters printed.

He wants your details so he can look your letters up in the database he made of all the letters ever printed in the prog and Meg. He's also taking the piss a little. He does that. Don't worry about it.  :)

- Trout

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

James Stacey

Quote from: King Trout on 24 February, 2012, 03:07:03 PM
He's also drawing pictures of piss a little. He does that. Don't worry about it.  :)

- Trout
FTFY

Proper Dave

Dredd Not Showing His Face: no spoilers here, but it's the standard, dating back to the Bolland strip where it was covered by a big 'censored' stamp and the perps dropped dead from the paroxysm of seeing the sheer horror of it.

And even if he's had reconstructive surgery and rejuve-treatments, whatever facial features he has under the hood are irrelevant. Dredd's FACE is the one that has the hat on.
Take care. Have fun. Bring your own banjo.
http://www.pseudopod.empty-spaces.net

Spaceghost

Quote from: Proper Dave on 24 February, 2012, 09:22:51 PM
Dredd Not Showing His Face: no spoilers here, but it's the standard, dating back to the Bolland strip where it was covered by a big 'censored' stamp and the perps dropped dead from the paroxysm of seeing the sheer horror of it.

And even if he's had reconstructive surgery and rejuve-treatments, whatever facial features he has under the hood are irrelevant. Dredd's FACE is the one that has the hat on.

Without wishing to sound patronising, I think you're refering to that strip from the first 6 months of Dredd drawn by Bellardinelli where the script called for Dredd to be seen without his helmet.

Apparently, the Editorial opinion was that Bellardinelli's Dredd face was somewhat below par and a hasty edit was carried out, slapping a 'censored' sign over the uninspiring face and adding some adhoc "oh, it's horrible!" dialogue which hasn't really ever been referenced since. I don't think it was ever meant to be written in stone (y face).

Anyway, I didn't mean to moan. I really enjoyed the story, I just think the 'disfigured face' thing is one of those things which have basically been ignored and left behind by John Wagner but which other writers occasionally refer back to.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

TordelBack

Quote from: Lee Bates on 24 February, 2012, 09:51:50 PM
Apparently, the Editorial opinion was that Bellardinelli's Dredd face was somewhat below par and a hasty edit was carried out, slapping a 'censored' sign over the uninspiring face and adding some adhoc "oh, it's horrible!" dialogue which hasn't really ever been referenced since.

I always find that a bit hard to believe - it reads like a standard comics CENSORED! gag, and I'd bet it was written like that.  Present the proof!

Spaceghost

Well that's the way it's presented in both the Judge Dredd Mega History and Thrill Power Overload books and those are the only sources I have.

Apparently, in the original script, the perps were so awe struck by Dredd's heroic visage, they spontaniously surrendered. The face that Bellardinelli presented didn't project the kind of gravitas required and so the 'censored' thing was slapped on it.

Could be true, could be bollocks but the fact is that it's been largely papered over ever since.

Proper Dave

Bardinelli, that's who I was thinking of. :p

(EDIT: And while I'm here, not having seen it yet, did they change [spoiler]'Judge José Dredd, you have something I need inside me'[/spoiler]?)
Take care. Have fun. Bring your own banjo.
http://www.pseudopod.empty-spaces.net

Martin Howe

American Reaper 321 wasn't too bad an issue, despite the comic's cliché ("Oh no I shot my son, now my daughter's in danger") ridden ("Oh no, the scanners don't work any more, we're f***ked") retro ("Hey its the 1950s in the 2150s) look.

As for the filler material, Armitage was good except for the Judge Dredd DNA nonsense, which rather spoiled it all.

So apart from the intro Judge Dredd story, it seems the Thrill Suckers have been busy this month :(

5/10
In space, no-one can hear you KILL an ALIEN
Facebook Flickr Twitter

Martin Howe

Actually, make that 6/10 for the AR artwork. Sure it's 50's retro cliche but at least it's illustrated well.
In space, no-one can hear you KILL an ALIEN
Facebook Flickr Twitter

Richmond Clements

QuoteAs for the filler material

I'm sure the creators working on those strips will appreciate how much you think of their work...

Spaceghost

Quote from: Proper Dave on 24 February, 2012, 10:33:29 PM

Bellardinelli. Are you drunk Dave? I am drunkened to fuck.

vzzbux

Armitage, Filler?
I would say it is the best of the four.
Not much Dredd in the Dredd story.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Spaceghost

Quote from: Proper Dave on 24 February, 2012, 10:33:29 PM

(EDIT: And while I'm here, not having seen it yet, did they change [spoiler]'Judge José Dredd, you have something I need inside me'[/spoiler]?)

It actually says [spoiler]"Judge Joseph Dredd of Mega-City One, you have something inside you that I [/ineed]".[/spoiler]

All sauciness expunged.

Spaceghost