Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 22 January, 2015, 09:41:08 PM
Bitch Planet right. It was pretty good, great art and an interesting start to the series but not the absolute blast some see it as (hey there Saga) still will look forward to waiting a month before buying issue 2!

I liked the first issue of Bitch Planet a lot, but it didn't make my (ruthless) pull list.
I'm going 1 month+ digital for it too for the next few issues.

This week, two for DC;

Unwritten Apocalypse 12 (final issue, and I have an entire year's worth to catch up on, looking forward to that).
Batman 38 (So, The Joker is now quite possibly the Devil incarnate...? You're making me nervous here Snyder. I've ordered the superb Andy Kubert 'Killing Joke' variant cover, love it).

Hawkmumbler

28/01/15

Big Trouble in Little China #8 - Poor Jack Burton just an't get a break, and the stakes keep ramping up in is fantasticaly apt continuation of one of Carpenters best films.

Godzilla Rulers of Earth #20 - A three way brawl between Godzilla, Biollante and the ever stupidly named Space Godzilla begins as the Cryog invasion continues. Honestly, it's still lubicrously silly fun and I love it for all it's over rendered daftness.

The Maxx Maxximized #16 - No you know what, I'm not even goin to try and explain it anymore. Because everyone needs to read this comic. It's bloody aces.

Vertigo Quarterly Black - Honestly have no idea whats in for this issue but it's always something to look forward to.

Weekly Shonen Jump #9 - Toriko made my eyeshurt this week. Tiny Zebra's everywhere.

The Adventurer

Nothing on the pull list this week (except WSJ and Tooth of course...). Nothing to do but relax and not spend any extra mone....

OH. MY. GAAAAAAAAAWD!!!!

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Colin YNWA

Oh cool it would seem I'm now Shonen Jump compatible and I've downloaded the App and the latest issue (free too, way to encourage engagement) and of course I'm a little daunted by the amount of stuff to get through. Sooo I was wondering if you SJW chaps could recommend say 3 strips I should delve into to sell it too me? Lazy I know but it would be good to get some highlights to hook me in!

The Adventurer

One Piece, although its ass deep in the end game of a major arc with a LOT of characters involved. So it might be tricky to know what's going on (good guys are fighting the bad guys). I'm not even sure if the main character Luffy has been around the last few weeks...

Gakkyu Hotei, new case starts in the latest issue. Pretty self contained and it just started. Pretty entertaining.

World Trigger, sort of in the middle of major arcs. Shouldn't be too hard to get the gist. Extra dimensional aliens are attacking our world. Only teenagers can save us!

Toriko, also in the middle of an arc, but much easier to follow along with. Muscle guys like their exotic food.

The good news is, over the next few weeks we're going to see a whole slate of new strips. My Hero Academia next week (though after running Chapter 1 next week, they will skip to the current chapter. So that will be a little annoying) will be a regular feature. Then there's 4 new series starting up over the next month. Some may stay, most won't. But they should prove interesting.

My advice? Just kind of read everything. And stick with them for a couple of weeks. You should start to absorb the general gist of what's going on. And help you determine if you care enough to keep up in an ongoing fashion.

Hawkmumbler

Basically what Adventurer said. But we should also get a new chapter of One-Punch Man next week (assuming it's fortnightly again, it's often bouncing all over the show) which has just started on a new arc and is pretty accessible to begin with.

Davek

I've ditched floppies in favour of waiting for trades recently; I will make an exception for Rat God by Richard Corben though. Five part series starting next week  :P

Link Prime

Quote from: Davek on 31 January, 2015, 06:50:02 PM
Rat God by Richard Corben though. Five part series starting next week  :P

Looks great. An irresistible purchase I think.

The Adventurer

Digital Pulls for 02/04/15

2000 AD 1916 - Truth time, I'm a month behind on 2000 AD. Financial concerns have been tying up a lot of my comic budget. Hoping to catch up this week.
EAST OF WEST 17 - New arc is already off to a pretty good start.
EGOs 5- Oh my god. Oh my god. Oh my god. EGOs is BACK! EGOs was one of my favorite new titles from last year. And when it disappeared after only 4 issues I was terrified it was gone forever. But its back! WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
MEGA MAN 45 - The second half of Mega Man 3 start here. Still pretty good comics right here.
SAGA 25 - Woof, 25 issues of Saga already, where does the time go.
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP 10 - My Hero Academia being added to the line-up is waaaaaa over due. Its a realy head scatcher why it wasn't added to the line-up at launch last year. But its here now, and we can move on with our lives.  New Jump Start titles start next week, so that's exciting too.

Hawkmumbler

04/02/15

Saga 25 - NEW SEASON OF SAGA!!!!! Wooooo! Have to say I was a little surprised wi the cliffhanger from last season and kept expecting another issue at anytime. Supremely excited, as I should be.

The Goon Once Upon a Hard Time #1 - Another new Goon arc so soon after Occasion for Revenge as well! That mini ended on a great note so i'm very excited for this new run.  :D

Django Zorro #3 - I'll be honest I still haven't got around to reading the second issue yet, but I looooved the first one. Need to do a little catching up.

Weekly Shonen Jump #10 - My Hero Academia joins the line up which is great news! I love this little series. Meanwhile Oda wrote possibly the most messed up chapter in One Piece in the longest time.

Hawkmumbler

My pull lost is looking a little skinny at the moment, can anyone tell me if EGOs #5 is a decent jumping on point for the series?

And I believe the new Assasination Classroom volume is out this week as well. I'll be picking that up as well, really enjoyed the first volume.

The Adventurer

Hawk, you're digital right? Just grab EGOs 1 off ComiXology.

Hawkmumbler

Your right, five issues isn't that much to catch up on is it! :lol:

Colin YNWA

Eat my Haul. It sure must taste good.

Where to start, where to start. So much great stuff. Well lets start with a couple of endings and a beginning.Winter World 7 saw the series on the brink but this issue but pulled off its best issue by far to see it safe... well except for the fact it seems to be cancelled, an issue 0 and prose novel aside. Curse of Taylor strikes again. As it did with Flash Gordon 8 which ended this series beautifully, well 16 story pages for $3.99 aside - THE CHEEK! Luckily Flash Gordon (King) 1 the follow up series had 20 pages and was almost as much fun. A nice debut even if it did seem to be trying too gard at times it pulled it off.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 3 wasn't as bland as 1, nor as good as 2 so we'll see. Everything else was blindin' The Maxx 16 glorious maddness, Hinterkind 15 questing fun, Sex 19 a sticky pleasure, C.O.W.L. 8 atmospheric wonder.

Seriously in any other haul any of um would have been worthy winner of the converted comic of the haul however two comic based gems of almost unknown quality were alos in this bunch. Multiversity Guidebook never has a comic so enjoyed being a comic and so played with the fact. It has however got a lot of well deserved plaudits  elsewhere so comic of the haul goes to They're Not Like Us 2 I said last time that this series seemed like a well trodded road done anew a bit but mainly just done very very well. This issue however goes one better. It takes the cliche down a completely fresh and vital path while still doing it very very well. This is the comic that can replace Nowhere Men. Eric Stephenson should really write more comics!

WHAT A FANTASTIC HAUL!

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 08 February, 2015, 09:32:47 PM
Eat my Haul. It sure must taste good.
Sex 19 a sticky pleasure,
WHAT A FANTASTIC HAUL!

Oh, Colin.