Main Menu

Takashi Miike

Started by Spaceghost, 16 March, 2012, 10:46:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spaceghost

Miike Takashi has made some excellent films too. And some really, REALLY wierd ones. Audition is probably my favourite, it's gruesome, scary and filled with ever building tension but it's also one of his most straightforward.

If you're in the mood for 'jaw-on-the-floor' fucked-uppness, watch Visitor Q.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

HOO-HAA

Quote from: Lee Bates on 16 March, 2012, 10:46:39 AM
Miike Takashi has made some excellent films too. And some really, REALLY wierd ones. Audition is probably my favourite, it's gruesome, scary and filled with ever building tension but it's also one of his most straightforward.

Oh yes. AUDITION's creepy as hell.

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: HOO-HAA on 16 March, 2012, 03:19:45 PM

And so's IMPRINT, his episode of 'Masters of Horror'- which I STRONGLY URGE anyone interested in such things to get ahold of immediately.

SBT

Van Dom

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 16 March, 2012, 05:03:05 PM

And so's IMPRINT, his episode of 'Masters of Horror'- which I STRONGLY URGE anyone interested in such things to get ahold of immediately.

SBT

Don't think I saw Imprint but agree about Audition. It's one of those ones where it is a bit of a slow build, but so worth it for the pay off.

Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

Emperor

Quote from: Van Dom on 16 March, 2012, 10:48:07 PM
Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 16 March, 2012, 05:03:05 PM

SBT

Don't think I saw Imprint but agree about Audition. It's one of those ones where it is a bit of a slow build, but so worth it for the pay off.

Ichi the Killer for wildly over-the top violence and I agree Visitor Q is quite something, you keep thinking there is nowhere else it can go and he manages to keep ramping it up well passed 11 before inventing his own numbering system. You can't beat Happiness of the Katakuris if you are looking for a zombie musical and who isn't?

I also see Yatterman is due out on DVD here in May, I've added it to my LoveFilm - it is supposed to be bonkers.

There is also quite a handy review site here, with links to his genre film reviews at the end:

http://moria.co.nz/horror/audition-1999-odishon.htm

Perhaps we can make this into a separate thread?
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

I, Cosh

Quote from: Emperor on 16 March, 2012, 11:31:20 PM
Quote from: Van Dom on 16 March, 2012, 10:48:07 PM
Ichi the Killer for wildly over-the top violence and I agree Visitor Q is quite something, you keep thinking there is nowhere else it can go and he manages to keep ramping it up well passed 11 before inventing his own numbering system. You can't beat Happiness of the Katakuris if you are looking for a zombie musical and who isn't?
Another vote for Audition. Brilliantly unsettling film and probably still my favourite Miike. "Kiri kiri kiri" will stay with me for a long time.

Perhaps a strange criticism to make about any of his films but I found Ichi a bit too absurd. I also desperately wanted to like Katakuris but didn't. On the other hand both Dead or Alive and Gozu are worth a look for anyone interested in hideous violence and barminess, while last year's 13 Assassins is a great take on a relatively straight samurai film.

The one I keep forgetting that I want to see is The Great Yokai War, his kids film which I've heard nothing but good things about.
We never really die.

Emperor

Quote from: Emperor on 16 March, 2012, 11:31:20 PMPerhaps we can make this into a separate thread?

And... done.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Link Prime

I'll second Smalls recommendation of 'Imprint' from Masters of Horror. I read it was pulled from transmission in the states (due to extreme content) yet strangely enough aired in UK/Eire (on FX I think).
The torture scenes are disturbingly unwatchable, but overall its a very original short horror film.

judgefloyd

Quote from: The Cosh on 17 March, 2012, 01:34:24 AM

The one I keep forgetting that I want to see is The Great Yokai War, his kids film which I've heard nothing but good things about.

Yokai War is the only one I've seen.  I didn't know the guy was a genius.  I enjoyed it - weird special effects, a babeaceous vampire lady, lots of impossible zooming around - I loved the town at the heart of the story - this town in which absolutely everyone is a ninja and they spend all day sharpening shuriken and all the rest - kind of like Harry Potter's 'everyone is magical' bit only much much more interesting.

Spaceghost

Well that's weird. I thought I'd blacked out and created a thread without realising it.

I loved 13 Assassins too. Brilliant film with some spectacular choreography.

I remember going to see Ichi the Killer at the cinema and loving the sheer mentalness of it. Several people walked out during one of the bloodier scenes.

If you haven't seen it, I would definitely recommend Visitor Q. It features such delights as - Father/daughter incest! Extreme lactation! Unexplained beatings! Excrement-lubricated necrophilia! Mass murder! Heroin abuse!

Something for the whole family in there.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Lee Bates on 26 March, 2012, 09:45:56 AM
If you haven't seen it, I would definitely recommend Visitor Q. It features such delights as - Father/daughter incest! Extreme lactation! Unexplained beatings! Excrement-lubricated necrophilia! Mass murder! Heroin abuse!

Put that like, it sounds a completely different film to what it actually is. It's worth pointing out - it's hilarious, too.

Katakuris is a personal favourite, but as with every remake I suspect it's even better if you've also seen the original, the korean Quiet Family, if only to marvel at how gloriously far Miike deviated from the source material*. He tells a hilarious story on the Katakuris DVD commentary wherein he once met Kim Jee Woon, director of Quiet Family, and asked him what he'd thought of his remake. Apparently Jee Woon simply sighed and walked away, which is as glowing an endorsment of Miike as you need!

*Though it also stars Oldboy's Choi Min Sik as the crazy uncle and is a brilliant, and very funny, film in its own right.
@jamesfeistdraws

Link Prime

Quote from: Lee Bates on 26 March, 2012, 09:45:56 AM
Well that's weird. I thought I'd blacked out and created a thread without realising it.

I'm buying this!

Any decent Miike DVD / BD collections out there?

GordyM

Loved Audition - it's in my horror top ten. The scene where she's waiting for the phone to ring and the bag in the background jerks to life gets me every time.

Visitor Q - how can a film so disturbing also be so funny? The bit where the father is doing You Know What in the bath is hysterical and yet so, so sick. This is the film that confirmed I'm going to Hell.
Check out my new comic Supermom: Expecting Trouble and see how a pregnant superhero tries to deal with the fact that the baby's father is her archnemesis. Free preview pack including 12 pages of art: http://www.mediafire.com/file/57986rnlgk0itfz/Supermom_Preview_Pack.pdf/file

Emperor

Quote from: Link Prime on 28 March, 2012, 11:07:34 AMAny decent Miike DVD / BD collections out there?

There is a general one:

www.amazon.co.uk/Takashi-Miike-DVD/dp/B000EMSQBE/

Which seems identical to this:

www.amazon.co.uk/Miike-Collection-Region-Import-NTSC/dp/B002OMIKRC/
www.amazon.com/Miike-Collection-4pc-Dub-Sub/dp/B002OMIKRC/

And there is a second volume of that:
www.amazon.co.uk/Miike-Collection-II-Family-Region/dp/B000Z6GT7W/

And a collection of MPD Psycho that I have:

www.amazon.co.uk/MPD-Psycho-DVD-Mpd-Psycho/dp/B0009ZCPCW/

There is an R1 Dead or Alive trilogy, I enjoyed them but perhaps not enough to buy the boxset:

www.amazon.com/Takashi-Miikes-Dead-Alive-Trilogy/dp/B0000E6FNU/

There is an 8 disc omnibus which might be worth it:

www.amazon.co.uk/Takashi-Miike-Omnibus-Region-Import/dp/B001B187JI/
www.amazon.com/The-Takashi-Miike-Omnibus-8-Disc/dp/B001B187JI/

The Black Society Trilogy contains 3 films from the Omnibus, so if you only wanted them it might be an option:

www.amazon.com/Black-Society-Trilogy-Takashi-Miike/dp/B0002LE9NQ/

You can get a Fudoh: the New Generation/Full Metal Yakuza set which might not be a bad bet (the latter is cheap but bonkers):

www.amazon.co.uk/Fudoh-Generation-Full-Metal-Yakuza/dp/B000AYQJG0/

Although they don't do an Audition/Ichi/Visitor Q set which would be an ideal Christmas present for an aged auntie, there is an Audition/City of Lost Souls/Happiness of the Katakuris:

www.amazon.co.uk/Takashi-Miike-Collection-Region-Import/dp/B0000C52K0/
www.amazon.com/Takashi-Collection-Audition-Happiness-Katakuris/dp/B0000C52K0/

The most comprehensive set of boxsets seems to be this one although it appears to be Italian, so is probably not much use:

www.amazon.co.uk/Takashi-Miike-Collection-Box-Collectors/dp/B00423BE06/
www.amazon.co.uk/Takashi-Miike-Collection-Box-02/dp/B00423BDYI/
www.amazon.co.uk/Takashi-Miike-Collection-Box-03/dp/B00423BDYS/
www.amazon.co.uk/Takashi-Miike-Collection-Box-04/dp/B00423BDZ2/

The problem is that he produces so many films, in such a wide range of genres that I reckon your best bet is to read up on them and watch the ones you fancy - LoveFilm have quite a few so I am working through what they have there for now.

Link Prime

Cheers for that comprehensive list Emperor, despite the 3 double ports currently working their way through my liver, I think I'll pass on the Amazon collection...£79 is about half a trillion Euro at current exchange rates!
You're right though, better (and cheaper) to build a collection; I've got Imprint, Ichi, Audition, Three Extremes and One Missed Call...buying Visitor Q & Dead or Alive next.