Main Menu

John Wagner see the completed film!

Started by Goaty, 25 May, 2012, 05:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

Bubba Zebill

I saw Avatar in 3D and after 5 minutes it just seemed like 2D again. Who needs 3D?... that's what your brain is for.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Steve Green

I wouldn't miss it if it wasn't 3D, and I slightly resent that 3D eats into the budget that could have dealt with that quibble.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Anderson's Shame on 25 May, 2012, 08:45:09 PM
So this means that the rumour we were going to get CG replacements for the present day vehicles used in filming was not true.

Only one vehicle was hinted at being replaced.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Steve Green on 25 May, 2012, 08:59:58 PM
I wouldn't miss it if it wasn't 3D, and I slightly resent that 3D eats into the budget that could have dealt with that quibble.

Not sure it's that simple, one of the platforms they may have sold the prospect of a new Dredd to investors was probably 3D. So 3D may have helped get some of the money that got the film made.

Steve Green

Yeah, I know - just wish 3D would FOAD (again)

JOE SOAP

Don't mind the old vehicles*, I like them more than the singular vehicles in the '95 film.

*early Dredd comics had some anachronisms

shaolin_monkey

I bloody love 3D and I bloody love Dredd, so it's a win win for me!!!    :D Huzzah!

HunterZolomon

That is really, really good news! Any writer with integrity would simply have kept quiet if they didn't like the movie.

I knew that investment in proper 3d glasses would pay off  :)

Adrian Bamforth

I've come to quite like the idea of the vehicles being modern day - it might convey that it's a warning about the near future rather than a fantasy about the far future, and futuristic hovercars etc are a staple of sci fi movies; it might be betterr to avoid, especially if it distances itself from the earlier version. Plus, anything which cuts down on avoidable CGI is a good thing in my book. I'm more curious about how they get those cumbersome hard to park long bikes around the place.

JOE SOAP

The new Dredd, I believe, is partially being tailored towards certain modern concerns and it's easier to do this on a small budget than a large one. A 70's Dredd film would've had a 70's cultural slant. An 80's Dredd film would've had an 80's cultural slant.

Beeks

Hmmm is it just going to be present day vehicles?

Or are they throwing the odd Pat-wagon into the mix I wonder?
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

Goaty

Well, to me, it perfect realistic of future, as Mega-City 1 happens, many and many old vehicles there... not all upgrade their cars.... 

dracula1

Isn't the story about a conflict mainly set in a 900 storey block? The vehicle thing doesn't need to be dwelt upon and as Mr
Wagner states it is over quickly cutting to the main event in Peach Tree's.

Professor Bear

I quite liked the idea of modern-day vehicles in the film, as Dreddworld is a mish-mash of different sci-fi tropes thanks to having a small battalion of writers creating it as they went along for 30 years, so it's not much of a stretch to think of a few reasons why somewhere as huge as MC1 would have ground traffic, the most obvious explanation being that a flying car would be more expensive than one with wheels, be a mother to insure, and just getting behind the wheel would likely require weeks or months of training, security screening, etc.
If you want to play at sci-fi-idea top trumps you may as well ask why Judges are frontline combatants rather than people who pilot multiple robojudges from a small room somewhere.  MC1 is a big enough playpen that it can absorb occasional anachronisms.