Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 14 June, 2012, 07:36:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

Gaaahhhh - having trouble with images from twitpic

http://twitpic.com/a6ly86

James Stacey

Quote from: darnmarr on 10 July, 2012, 10:14:18 PM
Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 10 July, 2012, 07:46:53 PM
I would say the best reason it's like that is because it looks cool.
The problem is, of course, that how cool/silly something looks is a matter of opinion.

I hate to be the one to say it, but – If someone, ( in some comment box somewhere on comicbookmovie sc-ifi.com) , doesn't like the look of the uniform, on aesthetic grounds, well then I don't see how they can argued into thinking differently; certainly not by an argument based on pure practicality, – because pure practicality explains the riot-gear aspect of the new design, but it patently doesn't explain the cross-piece: the cross-peice is there for style and for style only, and if people, (who are seeing that element for the first time ), dont find it 'cool' and instead find it distracting or impractical... well then, I imagine that they're quite likely to keep on thinking that no matter what any of us might say.
have you ever looked at any armoured helmet designs over the years ? Have you ever worn any. Having worn Greek, Viking and a number of European medieval helms over the years for extended periods and fought (admittedly not with real weapons) in them, as your eyes are pretty close to the tiny slits you have to look through, visibility is usually very good. A small cross piece over the nose like that would be neither here nor there. You might get a small blindspot near your feet, I've never worn a Judge's helmet I'd say its far from impractical. Now the comics shoulder eagle and bage chain on the other hand :)

shaolin_monkey

I've sent three tweets out about the good reviews, which have been retweeted to approx 12,000 people!!!   :o

Steve Green

Quote from: James Stacey on 12 July, 2012, 09:48:05 AM
Quote from: darnmarr on 10 July, 2012, 10:14:18 PM
Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 10 July, 2012, 07:46:53 PM
I would say the best reason it's like that is because it looks cool.
The problem is, of course, that how cool/silly something looks is a matter of opinion.

I hate to be the one to say it, but – If someone, ( in some comment box somewhere on comicbookmovie sc-ifi.com) , doesn't like the look of the uniform, on aesthetic grounds, well then I don't see how they can argued into thinking differently; certainly not by an argument based on pure practicality, – because pure practicality explains the riot-gear aspect of the new design, but it patently doesn't explain the cross-piece: the cross-peice is there for style and for style only, and if people, (who are seeing that element for the first time ), dont find it 'cool' and instead find it distracting or impractical... well then, I imagine that they're quite likely to keep on thinking that no matter what any of us might say.
have you ever looked at any armoured helmet designs over the years ? Have you ever worn any. Having worn Greek, Viking and a number of European medieval helms over the years for extended periods and fought (admittedly not with real weapons) in them, as your eyes are pretty close to the tiny slits you have to look through, visibility is usually very good. A small cross piece over the nose like that would be neither here nor there. You might get a small blindspot near your feet, I've never worn a Judge's helmet I'd say its far from impractical. Now the comics shoulder eagle and bage chain on the other hand :)

The cross piece is not really a problem - point in case, DNA have managed to have someone running about in it for a whole film doing stunts with one, where Stallone didn't even have it, and jettisoned the costume as soon as humanly possible. It's more the peripheral vision that's affected, not the area blocked by the crossbar.

Fisticuffs

Meh, peripheral vision is useless for a predator like Dredd anyway, binocular vision all the way. :D

ABCwarBOT

It's good (in one way anyway) that they made the helmet like the comic one but here's my problem with it.   The cross seems to be right in front of Urbans vision and I think they should have made the actual cross smaller and thinner.    They've altered the rest of the uniform (some parts good...some parts not so good) to be more practical but they could have made the helmet faithful to the comic and practical if they'd made the cross smaller.

Goaty

Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 12 July, 2012, 11:40:16 PM
It's good (in one way anyway) that they made the helmet like the comic one but here's my problem with it.   The cross seems to be right in front of Urbans vision and I think they should have made the actual cross smaller and thinner.    They've altered the rest of the uniform (some parts good...some parts not so good) to be more practical but they could have made the helmet faithful to the comic and practical if they'd made the cross smaller.

WHATEVER!!!! IT DONE! It coming in Sept!

PreacherCain

I think it'd be a cool idea if Rebellion/2000AD would give out some free comic samplers like the one they had for FCBD 2012 at selected screenings (presumably they wouldn't be able to do them all!) Or maybe team up with some tabloid rag when the film comes out. Having a selection of classic and modern Dredd stories (feat. a block war story, Judge Death etc.) and an ad for a load of the Case Files that they appear in.

I saw recently at Glasgow Comic Con, John Wagner was saying one thing that could improve 2000AD was if they started trying to advertise to younger folk again. I know DREDD is likely to be rated R/18s but hell, I saw Robocop when I was like 9  :P

Whenever I've seen posts or articles saying Dredd was filmed after The Raid, I try to correct them as well and point out that Dredd had actually finished shooting by the time The Raid went into production. It kind of annoys me that some people are hinting of plagiarism when a) that's not realistic for Dredd considering how close the two films release schedules are and b) the leaked script coming out months before The Raid started shooting would, if anything, suggest the opposite!

Steve Green

Doesn't the fact that he managed to perform through the entire film prove that he could see reasonably OK?

shaolin_monkey

Right folks - lets plan ahead. The buzz about the trailer and film reviews is good, but the Internet is fickle.  We still have well over a month until release date, and we need to make sure the cinema going public aren't distracted, or forget Dredd is coming.

So the question is. How?  Discuss.

Goaty

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 13 July, 2012, 11:44:37 AM
Right folks - lets plan ahead. The buzz about the trailer and film reviews is good, but the Internet is fickle.  We still have well over a month until release date, and we need to make sure the cinema going public aren't distracted, or forget Dredd is coming.

So the question is. How?  Discuss.

Send CF as Judge to Trolls' houses to give them Daystick lessons?

blackmocco

Jesus wept.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Mudcrab

Quote from: blackmocco on 13 July, 2012, 03:41:13 PM

Jesus wept.

Heh, yep. The forum at the moment is like a lovely newly cleaned carpet. There's always that one speck of dirt that you find lingering  ;)
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

PreacherCain

It would be good to have a site like CBR or someone of similar stature do a "Dredd Comic Recommendation List" I know a lot of people will want to recommend stuff like Case Files 5 but I think it might be a good idea to concentrate on the "post-America" period or more modern Dredd. I know it's stupid and everyone can gnash their teeth at the thought of it but a lot of comic book readers who like the look of the trailer might be turned off by the older Dredd with it's (wonderful) black and white artwork and more cramped (i.e. substantial, dense) style!

The list on the previous page is a good one. America, Mandroid, Origins, The Pit, Sin City etc. Stories that concentrate on the character or city and are relatively standalone.

COMMANDO FORCES

Couldn't a recommends list be incorporated into the 2000 AD page alongside the NEWS - SHOP - HISTORY area somewhere. This could then do drop down boxes that then take you to a brief synopsis and then to the 2000 AD shop  ;)